[MyAppleMenu] Apr 19, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 19 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Apr 19, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
AirPort Extreme Firmware Update Released (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/19/extreme/>
Apple recommends the update for all customers with French AirPort Extreme Base Stations. It's also useful for users whose AirPort Extreme Base Stations stop responding after being on a busy Ethernet network.

Power Tunes Playback (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/04/18/tibook_dj.html>
The DJ's bulky music cart, once brimming with hundreds of CDs and lots of hardware (that required a van to lug around), seems to be shrinking in size, possibly down to the size of a 1" thick PowerBook.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Once You've Tried WiFi, There's No Going Back (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53986-2003Apr18.html>
WiFi has taken a strange path to popularity. For many users, it has gone something like this: first baffled incomprehension, then frustrated annoyance, and lastly zealous idolatry.

A New Wave Of Wireless (Yuki Noguchi, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54030-2003Apr18.html>
'WiFi' networks are expanding Internet's reach, profit opportunities.

"Wi-Fi Is Like The Internet Itself" (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_17/b3830613.htm>
MIT's Nicholas Negroponte says the new technology is "reenacting the bottoms-up process that surprised people so much".

Sterling Rush: Dressing The Set For "24" (Stephanie Jorgl, Applelust.com)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/rush/>
"The iBook is really durable, which is great for running around the different sets. I carry it out front of me in one hand!"

Jeff Blitz: Letter Perfect "Spellbound" (Joe Cellini, Applelust.com)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/blitz/>
"We've been cutting on Final Cut Pro, and I'm having another wonderful time in the cutting room."

Macs And The Next Frontier: Proteomics (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/science/giddings/>
"Running a scan against the whole human genome will take about 16 minutes if it's distributed over the whole Xserve cluster."

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
The Jaguar Experience On An Original iMac (Bill Palmer)
<http://billpalmer.blogspot.com/#92859535>
MacOS X certainly runs on the original iMac, but it runs with the kinds of limitations you'd expect from a five year old computer.

Keynote (Neale Monks, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/reviews/archives/keynote/>
If you value style over gimmicks, and you don't need perfect integration with a PowerPoint using team, then Keynote is the OS X presentation application of choice.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Disney Mounts Dot-Comeback (Richard Verrier, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-disney19apr19,1,6569688.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
After an ill-fated Internet effort two years ago, the firm returns with diverse services aimed at the broadband market.

The Paradox Of Privacy (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2010-1071-997381.html>
People are terrified about the ability of corporations to track their lives, but the world economy has come to depend upon all-seeing computer systems.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Once You've Tried WiFi, There's No Going Back (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53986-2003Apr18.html>
WiFi has taken a strange path to popularity. For many users, it has gone something like this: first baffled incomprehension, then frustrated annoyance, and lastly zealous idolatry.

A New Wave Of Wireless (Yuki Noguchi, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54030-2003Apr18.html>
'WiFi' networks are expanding Internet's reach, profit opportunities.

Advanced Micro Issues Challenge To Rivals (John Markoff with Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/19/technology/19CHIP.html>
 Intel will face its strongest challenge in more than a decade when its archrival,  Advanced Micro Devices, formally unveils the Opteron 64-bit microprocessor next week.

"Wi-Fi Is Like The Internet Itself" (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_17/b3830613.htm>
MIT's Nicholas Negroponte says the new technology is "reenacting the bottoms-up process that surprised people so much".

Mixed Results For Content Management Vendors (Dennis Callaghan, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1034642,00.asp>
Content management vendors Documentum Inc., Interwoven Inc. and Optika Inc. turned in a mixed bag of results in the first quarter in earnings reported this week.

No Security Secrets (Wayne Rash, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/18/16secadvise_1.html?s=tc>
The secret to managing your company's security is that there is no secret -- it all comes down to your employees.

Cisco Wi-Fi Phone Due In June (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-997495.html>
Cisco Systems intends to introduce a portable Wi-Fi phone in the next few months, adding its stamp of approval to the emerging business technology.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
"I'm Right, You're Wrong, Go To Hell" (Bernard Lewis, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/05/lewis.htm>
Religions and the meeting of civilization.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Viral Terrors (Abraham Verghese, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/20/magazine/20WWLN.html>
The temporary loss of liberty that might come with quarantine for SARS, while painful, is a pill that I would find easier to swallow.

I Feel, Therefore I Am (Emily Eakin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/19/arts/19EMOT.html>
Lately, scientists have begun to approach consciousness in more Spinozist terms: as a complex and indivisible mind-brain-body system.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Roberts' Rules Of Romance (Linton Weeks, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48510-2003Apr17.html>
And the secret to being a world-famous romance writer is...

A Special Kind Of Poverty (Liza Mundy, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41046-2003Apr16.html>
Infertility treatments cost thousands of dollars. So, what do you do if you are poor, can't conceive and really want to have a baby?

No Saturday Matinee (Colbert I. King, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53894-2003Apr18.html>
An unbroken multi-year diet of Saturday-matinee, Grade B westerns at the now-gone Mott Theater in the city's West End convinced me and my childhood friends that fistfights, shootings and killing could be, well, sorta fun. What else were we to think?

The Day The Traffic Disappeared (Randy Kennedy, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/20/magazine/20TRAFFIC.html>
Livingstone has just begun the world's most radical experiment in reclaiming the city from the tyranny of the automobile, a power struggle that cities have been losing in humiliating fashion for more than half a century.

A Scholar Follows Her Family's Dusty Footprints (Marc Lacey, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/19/international/africa/19FPRO.html>
Louise N. Leakey grew up with bones.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.