[MyAppleMenu] Apr 17, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 17 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, Apr 17, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Reseller Shuts Off The Lights (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://marketwatch-cnet.com.com/2100-1042-997330.html?type=pt&part=marketwatch-cnet&tag=feed&subj=news>
Elite Computers & Software, the Mac reseller known for its spot across the street from Apple Computer's headquarters in Cupertino, is closing that location and all of its other Northern California stores, plus a handful of ComputerWare by Elite stores elsewhere in the San Francisco Bay area.

The Man Behind Sony Ericsson Clicker (Jon Gales, MobileTracker)
<http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/000137.php>
Sony Ericsson Clicker turns Sony Ericsson Bluetooth capable phones into remote controls for Macs?a quite remarkable application.

Apple To Open First Store In State (Dan Richman, Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/117897_apple17.html>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Could Apple Really Buy Universal Music? (Eric Hellweg, CNN/Money)
<http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/17/technology/techinvestor/hellweg/>
Apple is a gambler, and the recording industry needs some radical new leadership.

A New Leaf For Apple? (Matthew Rothenberg, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1032488,00.asp>
Steve Jobs has on more than one occasion cited Sony as a role model for the current Apple regime; as Apple's reach extends to consumer electronics and digital content, Jobs' words seem more like a blueprint than a metaphor.

Apple's Financials: Pro Users Still Not Buying Macs (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#pro>
While the oft-repeated phrase, "it's the economy stupid," might aptly describe the situation, maybe filling a few more market niches, such as building a really cheap iMac-style computer, without the built-in display, would help grow that market share. Just my opinion.

Apple's Universal Gambit Goes For Broke (David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun)
<http://www.sunspot.net/technology/custom/pluggedin/bal-mac041703,0,7190777.column?coll=bal%2Dbusiness%2Dindepth>
Forrester's Bernoff said the enduring popularity of file sharing is pushing the record labels to change, but "somebody is going to have to bust things open." Apple may have just the right vision and technology to be that somebody, if, as it appears, Jobs is willing -- literally -- to bet his company on such a venture.

The PowerBook Mystique Revisited (Charles Moore, MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/03/04/15/index.html>
Whatever, we Apple portable fans can rest assured that the PowerBook mystique will continue with new and exciting and Apple laptops in the days, months, and years to come. I can hardly wait.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Spell Catcher X (Craig Grannell, MacUser UK)
<http://macuser.pcpro.co.uk/?reviews/reviews_story.php?id=40975>
While in some ways it performs well, its various problems with interactive spell-checking mean we can't recommend Spell Catcher X outright.

A Nice Little Bit On The Side (Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/16/1050172636914.html>
Take a look at the new 12-inch PowerBook and see if you can resist its charms.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Inside The Soul Of The Web (Michael S. Malone, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/google.html>
24 hours watching the world look for answers at Google.

Can Wi-Fi Take Us The Last Mile? (Cory Doctorow, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,47997,00.html>
New FCC rules make it harder for DSL upstarts to compete with the Baby Bells. But the wireless revolution might keep the big guys honest.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Citizens Of The E-World Less Than Satisfied (Jack Kapica, The Globe And Mail)
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030417.twkapi0417/GTStory>
It gets awkward, however, when we make no distinction between shareholders, customers and employees.

Concern Grows About ID Theft (Manny Frishberg, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58512,00.html>
While the words "identity theft" did not appear on the official agenda, the topic was a popular discussion theme at a meeting this week of states' attorneys general.

Before Lightning Can Strike, A Sky Watcher Pulls The Plug (Anne Eisenberg, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/technology/circuits/17next.html>
A new device can detect lighting and automatically disconnect computers, televisions and other electronic devices and switch them to a battery backup.

Ports And Paranoia (Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3070>
Does it really make security sense for organizations to blindly block everything but port 80?

RSA: Split Passwords Make Secrets Safer (Peter Judge, ZDNet UK)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-997095.html>
Breaking passwords in two and storing them in two places will make systems more secure, said RSA Security at its eponymous security show in San Francisco on Tuesday. The company also launched a framework for increased integration of its identity management products.

China Web Alliance Takes On Google (Sidney Luk, South China Morning Post)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032-997112.html>
Sina.com, one of the mainland's most popular Web sites, has joined about 200 Internet portals in a government-backed search engine alliance that challenges global giants such as Google.

Internet Not A Necessity For Some (Lisa M. Bowman, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032-997140.html>
Unwired Americans aren't necessarily offline because they can't afford it. Some are too busy or just not interested.

Commit A Crime, No Network Time? (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1009-997170.html>
Would you have a hacker convicted of a cybercrime watching your corporate network?

Trusted Computing Comes With A Warning (Robert Lemos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1009-997223.html>
Cryptographers and security firms took opposite sides over the potential privacy dangers of trusted computing, an initiative to use encryption to secure information from hackers and, in some cases, the PC's user.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
A City On The Ropes (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/opinion/17HERB.html>
Nineteen months after Sept. 11 there's still a gaping hole in the heart of Lower Manhattan, and New York City over all is still hurting. Instead of moving forward, the city is going backward.

Pentagon Was Told Of Risk To Museums (Guy Gugliotta, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19691-2003Apr13.html>
In the months leading up to the Iraq war, U.S. scholars repeatedly urged the Defense Department to protect Iraq's priceless archaeological heritage from looters, and warned specifically that the National Museum of Antiquities was the single most important site in the country.

Second-Guessing CNN? Look In The Mirror (Jason Kottke)
<http://www.kottke.org/03/04/030416secondguessi.html>
Obtaining and then reporting on information is a gray, muddy process. As much as we'd like to believe that journalists and journalism should be completely objective, the world doesn't work like that.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
On The Ground In Iraq, The Best Compass Is In The Sky (Seth Schiesel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/technology/circuits/17navi.html>
In the Iraqi desert, satellite technology -— specifically the Global Positioning System, or G.P.S. -— has become a fundamental and pervasive navigation tool for ground forces.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
For Diners In The Dark, A Taste Of Mystery (Michael Powell, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42420-2003Apr16.html>
The lighting in this restaurant is not subdued, shaded or hiply shadowed. It's nonexistent.

Sci-Fi Shrine For Seattle, Complete With Aliens (Stephen Kinzer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/arts/design/17SCIF.html>
Paul G. Allen, a billionaire businessman and co-founder of Microsoft, is planning to build a "cultural project" in Seattle that will seek to draw visitors into the science-fiction experience.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
A Good Country (Geeta Sharma Jensen, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/05/jensen.htm>
I always said this was a beautiful country, a good country. I'd said it to my husband, Shwe Thant, many times during the four years since the Lutheran church workers had taken us from a noisy Burmese refugee camp in Thailand and settled us here in Pine Grove, Wisconsin. And it was what I was thinking as I squatted in my kitchen garden, picking the last of the herbs for the fish soup I was making for Shwe's evening meal.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Censorship Rules To Be Eased Somewhat (Tan Tarn How, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,183626,00.html?>
Revised film-ratings and more leeway for racier late-night TV shows on the cards, but no big departure from current rules.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Government Announces $230m Sars Relief Package (Tammy Tan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,183782,00.html?>
It will include additional property tax rebates for commerical properties, higher tax rebates for tourist hotels and a 50-per-cent reduction in foreign worker levies for unskilled workers in hotels.

The Singapore Model As Benchmark (Shim Jae Hoon, Korea Herald)
<http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/04/17/200304170041.asp>
Singapore's high quality education system has been enhanced because it allows first-rate universities from the United States, the United Kingdom and European Union full access to the local market.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.