[MyAppleMenu] Apr 14, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 14 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Apr 14, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Releases New Safari Beta (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/14/safari/>
Besides improved stability, the new beta adds tabbed browsing, allowing users to view multiple Web pages in a tabbed format. Safari now also includes AutoFill, which allows web forms and password fields to be automatically filled out.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Mac OS X Server Updated (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/14/osxserver/>
Apple on Monday released on update to Mac OS X Server, bringing the operating system to version 10.2.5.

Apple Announces iLife Educator Awards (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/14/ilifeaward/>
Apple on Monday announced the "Apple iLife Educator Awards" to recognize the most innovative uses of iLife, the company's digital hub suite of applications.

Jobs Thinks 'Different' And Many Marvel (Joseph Menn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-apple14apr14001441,1,3421543.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Buying Universal Music could put Apple in a position to determine digital music's future.

Enter Jobs, Exit Music Piracy? (Evan Hansen, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/communications/story/0,2000024993,20273694,00.htm>
If Steve Jobs wants to save the music industry, he'll have to convince millions of kids to give up free file-swapping networks and buy their MP3s instead.

Sound Recording By The 'Little Guys' (Elias Wolfberg, Newsday)
<http://www.newsday.com/business/printedition/ny-bzcity3219743apr14,0,3543775.story?coll=ny-business-print>
The proliferation of cheap, computer-based music technology, and the increase of freelance producers who know how to use it, threatens the survival of hundreds of small and midsize recording studios in New York City.

Cutting The Cord (John Dodge, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/104/business/Cutting_the_cord+.shtml>
A growing number of multiple-PC households seeking to pool Internet connectivity is driving a dramatic growth in wireless home networking.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Does Apple Still Need Microsoft? (Robyn Weisman, E-Commerce Times)
<http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/21256.html>
Even though a new agreement between the two companies is improbable, Microsoft still has incentive to continue developing Office for Mac OS.

Apple: Your Online Music Store (AlwaysOn)
<http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=312_0_2_0_C>
With all the paranoia and mistrust in the air, it is great to see motivated entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs offering up creative ways to sell downloadable music.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Safari Beta 2: Tabs Are Nice, But AutoFill And Privacy Reset Are My Favs (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3059>
When you choose "Reset Safari...", everything gets wiped: history, cache, downloads, Google search entries, cookies, saved names, passwords, and AutoFill text.

Apple On The Big Screen (Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Pioneer Press)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/technology/5625963.htm>
Sexy is Apple Computer?s specialty. And the Macintosh maker has outdone itself again with its new high-end PowerBook G4, which has a sleek and durable aluminum exterior along with a gorgeous 17-inch display.

Apple Power Mac G4 (Molly Wood, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/review/0,12070,589886,00.html>
Apple's Power Mac G4 tower seems to embody Moore's Law these days. Its chips are getting faster--currently topping out at 1.42GHz--and its prices are declining in tandem.

Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer (Dave Dudek, MacDirectory)
<http://www.macdirectory.com/reviews/intellimouse2/Index.html>
The Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer is a neat addition to the average Mac.

Hands On With The 12-Inch PowerBook (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/14/12inchpowerbook/>
The 12-inch PowerBook is a great computer for anyone on the road that needs power and wants a light, portable notebook. Don't let the size of this notebook fool you -- this is a thoroughbred PowerBook.

PowerBook 17-Inch: First Impressions (Jason D. O'Grady, O'Grady's PowerPage)
<http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10882>

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
"Microsoft Limits XML In Office 2003" (Uche Ogbuji, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3054>
There will be more and more people lining up to provide consumers with choices that redress these inefficiencies, and unless MS fundamentally change their DNA, they could be end up collapsing when their bubble bursts, rather than surviving by adaptation to the marketplace.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Photo Shops Find The Bright Side Of Digital Technology (Claudia H. Deutsch, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/14/technology/14PHOT.html>
"Digital photography and the Internet have opened possibilities we never dreamed of."

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Andreessen Touts Open Source (Tim Clark, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-210172.html>
Free source code, he predicted, will create "another quantum leap in creativity on the Web."

Cutting The Cord (John Dodge, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/104/business/Cutting_the_cord+.shtml>
A growing number of multiple-PC households seeking to pool Internet connectivity is driving a dramatic growth in wireless home networking.

Microsoft Messing With Netscape, Opera, Mozilla Again? (The Inquirer)
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8903>
Just enter a string, and the Vole will be ecstatic.

Power To The Mobile People (Roxanne Khamsi, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58436,00.html>
Micro fuel cells are being used in products to power traffic systems, laptops and RV appliances. Portable electronic devices can go longer without recharging, according to manufacturers.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Hong Kong: A City In Mourning (Bruce Einhorn, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/apr2003/nf20030414_7155_db010.htm>
As foreigners flee and residents venture outside only when they must, this is a city filled with fear, anger, and quiet heroism.

Dictators' Collusion (Parviz Esmaeili, Tehran Times)
<http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description.asp?Da=4/10/03&cat=2&Num=017>
Iraqi leaders had agreed to show no serious resistance against the U.S.-British troops in return for a guarantee that Saddam and his close relatives could leave Iraq unharmed.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Keep Us Human (Bill McKibben, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-mckibben14apr14,1,7602458.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
If we're truly smart, we'll refuse to foolishly tamper with our DNA.

Are Quarantines Back? (Melissa Healy, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-quarantine14apr14.story>
The practice has been used around the world for centuries. SARS is putting it back in the public consciousness and raising questions about its effectiveness.

Segway Gives An Easy Ride, But It's The Best On Sidewalks (Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal)
<http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20030410.html>
The Segway isn't for everyone, and it probably won't change the world soon. But it's a very cool new way to get around.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Snatching "Victor" From The Jaws Of Defeat (Jacob Kornbluth, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2003/04/14/sollett/>
My film opened on Sept. 11. My friend's movie, "Raising Victor Vargas," opened during the war with Iraq. We talk about timing -- and how to put politics in movies without becoming Michael Moore.

Let Slip The Poets Of War (Wil Haygood, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20006-2003Apr13.html>
>From Homer to Langston Hughes, battle has been a boon to verse.

Real Frsutrations Traverse A Fictional Realm (Martha McPhee, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/14/books/14MCPH.html>
My stepfather was psychologically complex, and his character raised questions worthy of art.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
What You Pawn I Will Redeem (Sherman Alexie, The New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030421fi_fiction>
One day you have a home and the next you don’t, but I’m not going to tell you my particular reasons for being homeless, because it’s my secret story, and Indians have to work hard to keep secrets from hungry white folks.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Survival Politics: Why Singapore Took Such A Public Stand On Iraq War (Ng Boon Yian, Today)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/todaynews/view/587/1/.html>
As the fight to oust Mr Saddam Hussein’s regime draws to a close in Iraq, one question that has not been asked and answered is: Should Singapore have so explicitly stated its backing for the US-led war on Iraq?

Good Reasons For IDA To Postpone 3G Rollout (Lee Han Shih, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/bizit/story/0,4574,78385,00.html?>
After all, the reason for IDA to insist on the deadline is that the consumers demand it. If there is little demand for 3G, what is the point of pushing the telcos in providing the service?

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.