[MyAppleMenu] Apr 6, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 6 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Apr 6, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Announces Final Cut Pro 4 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/06/fcp/>
RT Extreme provides new software based-real-time effects that scales with processor speed, according to Apple. The technology enables Final Cut Pro users to view software effects in real time or via an external broadcast monitor when connected via FireWire or an external breakout box.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
DVD Studio Pro 2 Coming In August (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/06/dvd/>
A new outline view has been incorporated, along with more thorough asset information and a timeline-based track editor.

Apple's Shake 3 To Sport OS X-Only Features (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/06/shake/>
While Shake will remain compatible with Linux and IRIX-based systems for its third major incarnation, the software now gains special capabilities for Mac OS X -- Shake Qmaster network rendering management software, along with unlimited network rendering licenses.

Wired Willingly (Colin Hickey, MaineToday.com)
<http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/030406sun_lapt.shtml>
>From different perspectives, Kimberly and Michael Quinn, a married couple from Belgrade, have heavy involvement and high hopes for Maine's laptop initiative.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Do We Need A New Interface? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2003/04/175.htm#panther>
How far would you allow Apple to progress in changing things before you yelled stop, you can't take it any more?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 11 (Stephen Beale, MacHome)
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/display.lasso?grr8=86>
If you're looking to build a professional-caliber graphics toolbox from the ground up, the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 11 provides plenty of punch at a nice price. These full-featured illustration and image-editing applications have strong Web-publishing and PDF-output features, plus a decent Flash-animation program.

Apple iMac 17" (Designtechnica)
<http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review50_main248.html>
The upgrades and features of the 17” model are substantial enough to gain the attention of those looking for a serious long-term system.

Mobile Devices Can Download Books Off The Web (Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/5561387.htm>
Audible provides a smart, highly flexible alternative to standard books on tape or CD, especially for people who are comfortable with PCs and the Internet and who love small digital audio players.

Rendezvous: Coming To An App Near You! (Jason Deraleau, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3010>
Setting up a functional network with basic services is no longer the realm of the geekier among us. Rendezvous empowers the common man. Today I'm going to highlight three Mac OS X applications that make excellent use of Rendezvous.

ATI's OEM Radeon 9700 Pro AGP Graphics Card (Mike Breeden, Accelerate Your Mac!)
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/Radeon_9700PRO_OEM/index.html>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
'A Shortcut Through Time': Quantum Weirdness (Jim Holt, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/06/books/review/06HOLTLT.html>
Responding to a challenge posed by a magazine editor, George Johnson has written a blessedly slim book, ''A Shortcut Through Time,'' that gets across the gist of quantum computing with plenty of charm and no tears.

Ease Of Use: Software Installation On Linux (Harold Martin, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3011>
There are two basic ways to install software on Linux: building from source and installing from using a packaging system. They each have their faults.

The Cyberwar Begins (InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/04/14secadvise_1.html?s=tc>
Information warfare could hurt your company.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Thinking Small At Harvard (Daniel McGinn, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0406/student.htm>
In headier days, the college's student government debated global issues like trade with Burma and workers' rights. But today's more pragmatic council tilts local, from cafeteria food to shuttle service.

Firefight At The Pentagon (Jean Edward Smith, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/06/opinion/06SMIT.html>
America's 220-year experiment in civilian control of the military is a recipe for friction.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Big Fix? (Charles P. Pierce, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0406/coverstory.htm>
The question is no longer whether expanding gambling in Massachusetts is morally tolerable, but whether it can ease the state's budget crisis. Meanwhile, lines are forming for a piece of the action.

A Tropical Smorgasbord In Honolulu (Bryan Miller, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/06/travel/06tab.html>
Mango, taro root, guava, fresh vanilla, seaweed, pineapple, coconut and superb local seafood all contribute to a cuisine that is wonderfully varied and evocative of these lush islands.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Government Sets Up Sars Taskforce (Bertha Henson, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,181593,00.html?>
A ministerial taskforce headed by Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng has been set up to deal with all aspects of the Sars outbreak, including planning contingencies for worst case scenarios.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Healthcare Workers From Tan Tock Seng Hospital Face Public Discrimination (Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/36689/1/.html>
Healthcare workers at the forefront of the battle against the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome have had to face another battle - the ignorance of the public who have been discriminating against them.

Singapore Boosts Airport Screening (Salma Khalik, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,181600,00.html?>
Everyone flying in from Sars-hit countries will have their temperatures taken.

Sars: School Closures Extended (Sandra Davie, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,181498,00.html?>
Institutions will reopen in phases, starting with JCs, CIs.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.