[MyAppleMenu] Sep 23, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 23 21:05:03 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Sep 23, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple's Switch Ad Frightens IT Networking Guru (Bryan Chaffin, The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2002/20020923.shtml>
Networking shouldn't require a Ph.D., and it should be simple enough that people can handle it themselves.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
HP Unvveils News Family Of Printers, Connectivity Devices (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/23/hp>
Hewlett-Packard today announced a new line of printers and connectivity devices aimed at providing feature rich, cost effective solutions for printing everyday business communications in color.

Apple Execs Buy Back Stock (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5301>
Apple's executives are buying-up Apple stock, after selling millions of shares in the company earlier this year.

Have You Checked Out Our Latest Weblog? (MyAppleMenu Tomorrow)
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>
Emerging technologies. Innovative applications. New economy.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Can An Apple A Day Really Keep The IT Expert Away? (Dave Kearns, NetworkWorldFusion)
<http://www.idg.net/crd_idgsearch_2.html?url=http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2002/0923kearns.html>
You will, eventually, need an expert. And I would love to be the consultant McPherson has to call in when her network has a problem!

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
For Many, Photoshop Elements Makes Perfect Sense (MacNETv2)
<http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=181_0_1_0_M>
Designed for the beginner, but plenty powerful enough for the pro, Photoshop Elements is the best deal going.

10.2.1 Woes (Philip Machanick, MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/intelligence/02/09/23/index.html>
It seems worth searching the popular Mac sites for other user experiences before going for 10.2.1 because there are a few cases of claimed fixes which don't actually work.

OS X Week: Making The Switch (Christopher Morin, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=180>
With the advent of Jaguar, there is little reason for most users to stick with 9.

Apple's .Mac Service Is 'Slow' (Rudy Soetewey, Steve Hix, and Abe White, Pioneer Press)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/technology/4129968.htm>
There is a reason why so few people are paying for .Mac: It is unbelievably slow for most people.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Pocket PC Doesn't Make Security Grade, Gartner Says (Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service)
<http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/0923pocketpcsec.html>
Microsoft's Pocket PC 2002 software does not address critical security issues and could make sensitive corporate data stored on PDAs and desktop PCs vulnerable to theft and loss, market analyst Gartner warned in a recent research note.

Why .NET Will Conquer The World (John Carroll, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-958923.html>
Microsoft is better positioned to create a cross-market software unification framework than Sun Microsystem's ever was (or is).

Sony Becoming A Sleeper PC Giant (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958889.html>
Quick--who's the fastest-growing major PC maker in the world? If you guessed Dell, you're wrong.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Google Launches News Search Site (Reuters)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2122657,00.html>
Google, the popular Internet search engine, on Monday launched a new site for searching news from 4,000 English-language sources, from The New York Times to small-town newspapers.

Reporters Find New Outlet, And Concerns, In Web Logs (David F. Gallagher, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/23/technology/23BLOG.html>
"If I'm a lawyer advising a news organization, the idea of a Web log like this would just make me break out in hives."

The Packaging Of Video On Demand (Peter Wayner, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/23/technology/23NECO.html>
In the last year, a flourishing digital video-on-demand market has developed, thanks to the least probable of carriers: the United States Postal Service.

Weight Loss For Road Warriors (Erik Sherman, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/809142.asp>
Think about it. Do you really need a laptop when you leave the office? Smaller and lighter are better.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Macromedia Extending Flash To Java, .Net App Servers (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/23/020923hnmacromx.xml>
Macromedia on Monday will extend Macromedia Flash Remoting MX to .Net and Java application servers, enabling Internet application development for these platforms based on Macromedia's technology.

Boston's Logan Gets ID Authentication Technology (Paul Roberts, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/23/020923hnlogan.xml?s=IDGNS>
In addition to capturing information off of identity papers, Imaging Automation's technology performs tests on the documents themselves to determine that they are authentic and to determine whether or not the document has been altered.

Servers With A Smile (Fred Vogelstein, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=209583>
It will never beat Windows on the desktop, but the Linux operating system has an undeniable charm in the world of corporate computing: It's free.

Microsoft, HP To Team For .Net Effort (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-959000.html>
In a sign of deepening ties between Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard, the two companies are set to announce a joint effort to push the software giant's .Net services to HP's corporate clients.

Sun Needs To Redefine, Not Duplicate The Desktop (Timothy Appnel, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2040>
The key is not in duplicating it with a lower price tag, but in redefining it. I can only hope that Sun and others come to realize this before repeating history and leaving us with a promise unfulfilled.

Microsoft Eases Lotus To Exchange Migration (Matt Berger, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/23/020923hnappanalyzer.xml?s=IDGNS>
Microsoft released a set of tools Monday that allow Lotus Notes users to assess what applications they have running on their servers, a key step in helping them migrate to competing products from Microsoft.

Lindows 2.0 Has Beautiful Skin, Iffy Personality (Tina Gasperson, Newsforge.com)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27238.html>
Lindows 2.0 looks cool, I have to admit.

New Kazaa Likely To Raise Labels' Ire (John Borland, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-958912.html>
An overhauled version of the popular file-swapping software Kazaa was unleashed Monday on the Internet, with features sure to make record and movie studio executives' blood boil.

Why .NET Will Conquer The World (John Carroll, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-958923.html>
Microsoft is better positioned to create a cross-market software unification framework than Sun Microsystem's ever was (or is).

Who's Letting The Spam In? (Stefanie Olsen, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-958847.html>
Many proxy servers are installed insecurely, and spammers have discovered tricks to tap into them to send junk mail with little trace--an occurrence relatively unseen a year ago, experts say.

Sun Seeks Salvation In Linux (Eric Hellweg, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.co.uk/articles/web/0,1653,43776,FF.html>
Sun is pursuing a radical new strategy, in an undefined market, in the toughest business climate in recent memory. Is this suicide or a savvy survival ploy?

The Cost Of China's Web Censors (Mary Hennock, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2264508.stm>

Security Problems (Joseph Menn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-invision23sep23(0,1215370).story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
For many firms in the industry, heightened interest has not translated to financial gains.

Grid Compting To Spur HK Economy? (Blien Perez, South China Morning Post)
<http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/systems/0,39001153,39082924,00.htm>
The Hong Kong government and private sectors have been called on to back a revolutionary plan to share and access all computing resources in the country as easily as electricity from a wall socket.

Why I Continue To Stand By Bluetooth (David Berlind, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2880959,00.html>
"Bluetooth tries to embed much too much application function, despite the fact that those applications are not well understood, and are better served by the Internet's protocols."

Where Art Thou, 802.11g? (Unstrung)
<http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=21503>
Boy, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc. (IEEE) is not happy about reports that significant progress and crucial votes have been taken in the 802.11g standards process. Not happy at all.

Free Software, At Least To A Certain Point (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/23/technology/23LINU.html>
After the Microsoft jokes, after the speaker's disquisition on the moral imperative of free software, after the salad, steak and chocolate raspberry pie, the benefit dinner for the Free Software Foundation in Manhattan finally came down to business last Thursday.

Copyright Hurdles Confront Selling Of Music On The Internet (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/23/technology/23MUSI.html>
The road to paradise is proving to be more like an intellectual property labyrinth paved with administrative quicksand.

802.11a: Wait Until Next Year! (Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, 80211Planet)
<http://www.80211-planet.com/columns/article/0,4000,1781_1465111,00.html>
It's fast, it's hot, but does it have a place in the market? That's what some retailers, resellers and CIOs are asking about 802.11a.

Homepage Usability: Use Your Words Wisely (Dana Greenlee, WebTalkGuys Radio)
<http://www.webtalkguys.com/article-tahir2.shtml>
Don't be a "tag line jeopardy" loser.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
High-Altitude Rambos (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/23/opinion/23HERB.html>
"So many men and women have fought and died for freedom in this great country, and now we are in danger of ruining that in the name of security."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Blood In The Jungle (Betsy Carpenter, U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/020930/misc/30maya.htm>
A newly discovered Maya text chronicles the ebb and flow of an ancient superpower conflict.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Better Angels (Andrew Curry, U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/020930/misc/30civil.htm>
>From Fort Sumter to Appomattox, parks that once confined their interpretation to military maneuvers and strategy are now beginning to talk about the causes and consequences of the war.

Can McDonald's Shape Up? (Daniel Eisenberg, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020930-353570,00.html>
Will a broader menu and spiffy new digs get the burger giant on track?

The Art Of Darkness (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-lv-levin22sep22(0,2686704).story?coll=cl%2Dbooks%2Dfeatures>
On 'Stepford Wives' anniversary, Ira Levin is surprised by his effect on popular culture.

Kids Lit Grows Up (Charles Taylor, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/09/21/kids/index.html>
Inspired by Harry Potter, bestselling authors Michael Chabon, Neil Gaiman, Carl Hiaasen and Isabel Allende are spearheading a renaissance in books that enchant readers of all ages.

Make Room For Daddy (Charles Taylor, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/sex/feature/2002/09/23/legs/index.html>
Why do men sit on subways with their legs splayed like Suzanne Somers' in a Thighmaster ad? Is their precious package more important than our comfort?

Shanghai, Modern But Still Exotic (Daisann McLane, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/22/travel/22FRUG.html>
Shanghai may no longer have the raffish mystique of its early 20th-century incarnation as a place of guns, girls and gamblers, but a different mythology, no less alluring, has taken its place.

Why Are English Departments Still Fighting The Culture Wars? (Mark Krupnick, The Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i04/04b01601.htm>
Everyone has heard about the culture wars that have torn apart university departments of English. But it was still shocking to read a New York Times article a few months ago about how animosity between traditional and theory-oriented professors at Columbia University has decimated its once-great department.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Dancing Lessons (Liza Ward, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/10/ward.htm>
In June of 1959, on the day before Charles Starkweather was to be electrocuted, my mother went out and bought a Studebaker Golden Hawk. Teenagers were gathering around the Nebraska State Penitentiary, waiting for the lights to dim when 2,200 blue volts went slamming through the murderer's body. I'd been watching them strut back and forth across the television screen from the safety of our living room. They were defiantly hanging off the hoods of cars, slugging beer, their eyes fixed on the prison windows for some sign of Starkweather's passing.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Substantial Lift Recommended For Foreign Ownership Of Singapore Media (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,58320,00.html?>
A Singapore government committee today recommended a substantial increase in foreign ownership limits for local media companies, suggesting the ceiling be raised from five to 15-20 per cent.

Singapore To Move Camps From Taiwan (AFP)
<http://www.chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?onNews=1&GRP=A&id=16338>
Singapore has decided to move to mainland China at least part of the military training facilities it has had in Taiwan for more than two decades, a source close to the military and a lawmaker said yesterday.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.