[MyAppleMenu] Sep 6, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 6 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Sep 6, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple: Windows Media Player Shows Anti-Standards Behavior (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/06.quicktime.php>
Apple says Microsoft is still trying to catch up to QuickTime 6.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Video Spin (Joe Cellini, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/09/area2/>
On Moby's Area2 music tour, DJ John Digweed wrapped floor-to-ceiling custom video around his distinctive music mix.

Apple's Education Market Share Half Of Dell's (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/06.education.php>
Apple, like many other hardware vendors, have fallen victim to the aggressive practices of Dell and perceptions of the buying public, according to an IDC analyst.

Ad Pros Prefer Macs (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/06.adpro.php>
Power Mac G4s are the computer of choice among advertising professionals according to Advertising Age's Pop Culture Survey.

BT Opens World To X 10.1 (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5222>
BT Openworld now supports Mac OS X 10.1, the company has announced.

Kids Climb, Clown, Cavort And Compute At This Camp (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/09/camp/>
"It's exciting showing the kids what these computers can do."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Linux Users Say Mac OS X Has Future Over Linux (Architosh)
<http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-09/2002c-0905-linuxuser-osx.phtml>
"OS X provides an answer that is so strong that the question of desktop Linux has gone from 'How?' to 'Why?'."

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Let Her Rip With Apple's iPod (Larry Magid, CBS)
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/06/scitech/pcanswer/main521053.shtml>
Thanks to Apple Computer, there is now a device that may fundamentally change the way we listen to music.

Jinni Zeala (Chris Barylick, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=286>
LittleWing has produced a great game, the perfect tool for killing about 15-30 minutes of free time and something that has a more than welcome place in my OS X Dock from here on out.

AOL For Mac OS X Delivers On Its Many Promises (Gary Gentile, Associated Press)
<http://www.boston.com/dailynews/248/economy/AOL_for_Mac_OS_X_delivers_on_i%3A.shtml>
AOL for Mac OS X is a pleasure to use, as is everything else on my Mac these days.

IntelliMouse Optical (Lucian Fong, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=306>
Although it's not advertised as a gaming mouse, it does serve admirably in that area. There isn't much that Microsoft could have done to improve it, but a smoother, quieter scroll wheel and rubber side grips would be welcome in the next revision.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Lead Windows Developer Bugged By Security (Mattt Berger, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/05/020905hnmssecure.xml>
"We really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers... Our products just aren't engineered for security."

Windows XP Media Center: Who Needs It? Not Me (Josh Taylor, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2879357,00.html>
What? You can do all of that stuff right now? Oh yeah, that's right, you can.

Top Ten Benefits Of MS WinXP Media Edition - LawMeme Style (Ernest Miller, LawMeme)
<http://research.yale.edu/lawmeme/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=322>
Microsoft is happy that you have access to "your own" content, but not content that your own mother may want to share with you.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Unwarranted Defamation Of Wireless Networks (Andy Oram, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1961>
To me, fear-mongering quasi-news reports are worse than spam.

Filters, Schools Like Oil, Water (Katie Dean, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,54632,00.htmlhttp://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,54632,00.html>
The government says that if schools want funding for Net access, they must use filtering software. But critics say the filters still block legitimate sites and give schools a false sense of security.

Web May Put Smarter Computers Within Reach (Ariana Eunung Cha, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43363-2002Sep5.html>
SmarterChild, a computer program, is part of a new species of "chatterbots" that are renewing debate about the extent to which computers can achieve intelligence.

Understanding Weblogs (D. F. Tweney)
<http://www.tweney.com/writing.php?display=322>
Weblogs have solved the publishing problem, and done a great job of it. Now let's get to work on knowledge management, and see if these things really do boost our collective IQ.

99.9% Of Websites Are Obsolete (Jeffrey Zeldman, Digital Web Magazine)
<http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2002-09.shtml>
Cunning and insidious, the disease goes largely unrecognized because it is based on industry norms. Though their owners and managers may not know it yet, 99.9% of all websites are obsolete.

Will Home Networks Be Permitted? (Andy Oram, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1949>
The question is whether the draw of home and small-office networking will prove so strong that providers relax their restrictions in order to gain customers.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
HP To Unveil Nanotech Breakthrough (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-956970.html>
HP researchers will unveil a major breakthrough in the field of nanotechnology on Monday in Europe, a milestone in the company's goal to build future generations of smaller, faster and cheaper chips based on "molecular grids."

Microsoft Pitches 'No Separate App Server' Approach (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/06/020906hnnoappserver.xml>
Rather than develop a separate application server, Microsoft is positioning its upcoming Windows .Net Server 2003 operating system as having all the functionality needed for deploying Internet applications and Web services.

Philips, Sony "Talk" New Wireless Tech (Richard Shim, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-956779.html>
Philips Electronics and Sony announced Thursday that they plan to work together on new wireless technology that will allow consumer devices to "talk" to each other.

New Storage Tech "iSCSI" Moves Closer (Stephen Shankland, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-956816.html>
A technology that promises to bridge the worlds of data storage and networking has passed a key point on its path to becoming a usable standard.

OASIS Serves Up Messaging Standard (Carolyn A. April, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/05/020905hnoasisspec.xml>
Closing out what shaped up as a summer of standards proliferation, OASIS on Tuesday conferred official status on yet another specification aimed at enabling companies to conduct business over the Internet.

Web Services To Drive Outsourcing (Andy McCue, vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1134838>
Businesses will increasingly hand control of their IT departments to large suppliers, with web services as a key driver, according to Butler Group's annual technology review.

Pak Govt May Choose Linux As Platform Instead Of Windows (Naveed Ahmad, PakNews.com)
<http://www.paknews.com/top.php?id=1&date1=2002-09-06>
While the government continues to engage Microsoft in dialogue to seek exceptional discounts for making its software as platform for official operating systems, a recent notification suggest that the stage is being set to adopt Linux instead.

More Americans Go Wireless Only (Robert Hager, NBC News)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/804151.asp?0si=-&cp1=1>
Growing number of people are living without a land line phone.

Wireless Access Doesn't Have To Be A Risk (George V. Hulme, InformationWeek)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=74&ncid=738&e=9&u=/cmp/20020905/tc_cmp/iwk20020905s0012>
Funk Software Inc. next week is expected to reveal enhanced versions of its Odyssey Server and Steel-Belted Radius Enterprise Edition wireless-authentication applications.

3G Hits Consumer Wall (Michael Sainsbury, News.com.au)
<http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,5042413%255E15306,00.html>
Storm clouds continue to gather over third-generation mobile phone technology following a report that Australians are not keen to upgrade to the service.

Announcing The Emerging Technology Group (Willliam Grosso, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1955>
Along with a couple of friends, I'm starting a new meeting group devoted to new and emerging technology. We'll be meeting on the second Tuesday of every month, in Palo Alto.

W3C Publishes Plan For Mixing XML Markup Languages (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/05/020905hnxmlschema.xml>
The W3C this week released a plan for mixing XML markup languages through use of a schema.

Windows XP Media Center: Who Needs It? Not Me (Josh Taylor, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2879357,00.html>
What? You can do all of that stuff right now? Oh yeah, that's right, you can.

Reading The Newspaper While Driving (Steve Outing, E-Media Tidbits)
<http://www.poynter.org/tidbits/2002_09_01_tidbitsarchive.htm#85419039>
A subscriber specifies how long their commute typically takes. Then overnight, the software will burn a CD with the audio versions requested.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Mouse And Superman (Dermot Purgavie and John Goodbody, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-404918,00.html>
Imagine your muscles never aged or weakened, and repaired themselves after injury. Scientists have created a synthetic gene that does just that -- and the consequences for sport could be seen as early as the 2004 Olympics.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Sticks And Stones And Lemon Cough Drops (Sylvia Hochfield, ARTnews)
<http://artnewsonline.com/currentarticle.cfm?art_id=1183>
>From Joseph Beuys to Eva Hesse to Zoe Leonard, many postwar artists make works in unstable or ephemeral materials. Curators and conservators dealing with latex, lard, bodily fluids, and banana peels are coming up with new preservation strategies.

Television's Special Day Of Pain And Comfort (Caryn James, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/06/arts/television/06JAME.html>
Television is setting the memorial tone as it offers -- or rather demands with its blanket coverage -- a day of reflection on Sept. 11.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Giving Feedback: Stay With It Or Quit? (Laurel Teo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,141954,00.html?>
Today, the government faces a graver threat from Singaporeans fed up with their views not getting across: These voters are not just threatening to quit being loyal to the ruling party; some are threatening to quit the country altogether.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.