[MyAppleMenu] Oct 29, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 29 21:05:04 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Comparing Apples And Penguins (Moshe Bar, Byte)
<http://www.byte.com/documents/s%3D7692/byt1035828368066/1028_bar.html>
For a newcomer to the Unix market, I am actually surprised at the very decent results and stability of OS X.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Cisco Adds GUI To VPN Client For OS X (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=17149>

Future Teachers Adapt To Life With Laptops (Katherine Sayre, Daily Texan)
<http://www.dailytexanonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/10/29/3dbe654ab55de>
"We want to train our teachers for the future. We want the initiative to transform teaching and learning with the goal of improving education."

Darwin 6.0.2 Released (Ron Calrson, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1182>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Macintosh Teachers Challenge: Give Apple Education A Road Map (Mark Marcantonio, MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/markmarc/10.29.02.shtml>
Once again, the real power of computing is in how much time one gets to spend being productive.

Apple Death Knell Counter - Apple Has Been Declared Dead 9 Times Since February, 1997 (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/10/29.5.shtml>
It's been happening since the early 1980s, and still Apple, and its doomsayers, keep chugging along.

PowerBooks Forever (iBooks Too!) (Charles Moore, MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/02/10/29/index.html>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Building Mac Applications Using REALbasic 4.5 For Mac OS X (Wei-Meng Lee, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/10/29/dev_osx.html>
The syntax of the language is very similar to Visual Basic and the online help reference is a real lifesaver.

Unleashing The Power Of The PowerMate (Kirk McElhearn, TidBITS)
<http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-653.html#lnk3>
It is rare that I adopt such a new type of tool so quickly, but in just one week I have become convinced that this is an essential tool for any kind of computer use.

Take A Closer Look (Amanda C. Kooser, Entrepreneur Magazine)
<http://www.entrepreneur.com/Your_Business/YB_SegArticle/0,4621,303868,00.html>
They may be stylish, but are oversized LCD panels worth the price? Here's the flat-out truth.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Dell: Who Needs A Floppy Disk? (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963747.html>
The company on Tuesday began offering the USB Memory Key, a small, removable storage device.

Microsoft Slammed For Palladium 'Lies' (Iain Thomson, vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1136358>
Critics have slated a Microsoft document on its upcoming Palladium digital rights software as containing several outright "lies".

Microsoft's Media Monopoly (Farhad Manjoo, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/10/29/microsoft_media_one/index.html>
Bill Gates wants to control the delivery of digital entertainment into your home. And according to a lawsuit brought by a pioneering software company, he's prepared to crush anything that gets in his way.

Microsoft Tablet PC Technology A Stroke Of Genius (Hiawatha Bray, Boston Globe)
<http://digitalmass.boston.com/news/globe_tech/upgrade/2002/102802.html>
It regards handwriting as a normal method of communication, worthy of the same respect as any text typed into a word processor. It's the kind of innovative thinking that's not supposed to happen at Microsoft, yet here it is.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Security Fueling Open-Source Adoption (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,655054,00.asp>
Security is becoming one of the main drivers behind the adoption of open-source software in the enterprise and government, say security experts and CIOs gathered here for Red Hat Inc.'s Open Source Security Summit.

Report: Digital Photos Not Bumping Film (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963770.html>
Despite rapid growth in sales of digital cameras, consumers are using film as much as ever, according to a report released Tuesday by research company IDC.

The New Push For E-Government (Alex Salkever and Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2002/tc20021029_2415.htm>
>From Washington, D.C., to Washington State to your hometown, Net-based efficiences are luring more and more entities online.

DVD Burners May Be Hot Gifts (Anna Wilde Mathews, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/827054.asp>
As electronics makers hope for strong sales, Hollywood frets.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
UnitedLinux Completes Beta (John Blau, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/29/021029hnunitedlinux.xml?s=IDGNS>
UnitedLinux has completed beta testing of the first release of its open source Linux operating system and is ready to launch the product as planned next month.

Wireless WarDrive: Wee Bit Of Fun (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56062,00.html>
"There's something just plain wrong about a city where you can find 100 open wireless networks in a half hour and not one public bathroom."

Who Owns Your E-Mail? (Evan Hansen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-963631.html>
Nancy Carter has a message for Internet service providers: Keep your hands off my e-mail.

Reuters Accused Of Hacking (Margaret Kane, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-963658.html>
According to news reports, the report was accessible to anyone who knew the correct address. But Intentia said the report was not linked to through any public means.

AIM, ICQ To Interoperate (Jim Hu and Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-963699.html>
America Online said it would allow its next version of AOL Instant Messenger to communicate with ICQ, a surprise move that will topple the long-standing barrier between the company's two popular IM services.

Web Services: Seeking A Common Tongue (Mike Ricciuti, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963769.html>
A Web services standards organization Tuesday issued a first draft of recommendations for linking systems using the emerging technology.

SuSE Opens Linux Desktop For Windows (Matthew Broersma, ZDNet UK)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-963703.html>
Linux distributor SuSE is hoping to get desktop users to switch to its operating system with a new edition of its software specifically designed for office workers--including software that allows it to run Microsoft Office and other Windows applications.

RSS Files Can Help Keep Your Surfing Up To Date (Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy29.html>
RSS is a tremendous big win for everyone.

Report: Case Weighs AOL Spinoff (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-963670.html>
AOL Time Warner Chairman Steve Case has suggested to senior executives that the company could spin off its America Online unit, a Tuesday report says.

Celebrating Holidays And Special Occasions On Websites (Jakob Nielsen, Useit.com)
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021028.html>
Even small holiday decorations can increase joy of use and make websites feel more current and more connected to users' lives and physical environment. The key is to commemorate without detracting from your users' main reasons for visiting the site.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Senior Minister Jiang? (Tom Plate, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/10/28/ED149722.DTL>
The Chinese are eager for a seamless, global confidence-building transfer of power.

In Russia - Old Habits Die Hard (Giles Whittell, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-461647,00.html>
As Moscow obsesses round hospital beds, the wider world is entitled to ask again: is Putin serious about turning his country to the West, and if so, can he deliver?

Axis Of Execution (Richard Cohen, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32884-2002Oct28.html>
While it is true that death will not bring the 10 victims back to life, and life in prison is, really, an awful punishment, I recommend, sir, that you merely stick to your guns -- an unfortunate turn ofphrase, maybe, but one that sums up our entire position.

Saturated With Violence (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/28/opinion/28HERB.html>
We don't know what to do about all this violence. We don't know how to process it. We don't even know how to cover it. We sensationalize it, glamorize it, eroticize it.

Enjoying A Leftist Lunch (J.P. Zmirak, FrontPage Magazine)
<http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=4045>
There's something almost insane about attempting to use a one-dimensional spectrum to describe something as complex as political philosophy.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Unspooled (Hank Stuever, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32476-2002Oct28.html>
Is the death of the cassette as sweetly sad as the death, years ago, of the vinyl record?

A New View Of Our Universe: Only One Of Many (Dennis Overbye, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/29/science/space/29COSM.html>
Some cosmologists now say the realm we call the observable universe could be only a small patch of a vast bubble or "pocket" in a much vaster ensemble bred endlessly in a chain of big bangs.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Network Tries To Foil Ad Skipping (Bernard Stamler, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/29/business/media/29ADCO.html>
Television networks, dreading a future in which digital devices hand viewers the power to skip commercials automatically, have responded by increasingly integrating ads into the programs themselves.

This Dad Demands Final Cut (Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/goldstein/cl-et-gold29oct29.story>
I might be more sympathetic to the DGA's case if someone were willing to acknowledge the vast abandonment of artistic principles that occurs daily in the movie business.

The Newseum That Fits (Benjamin Forgey, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32418-2002Oct28.html>
The design of the new Newseum is a brash study of contrasts with the august architecture surrounding its prominent Pennsylvania Avenue address. It is almost all glass where its neighbors are almost all stone. It's transparent where they are opaque, light where they're heavy, breezily informal where they are attired for a decorous sit-down dinner.

Don't Blame Columbus For All The Indians' Ills (John Noble Wilford, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/29/science/social/29INDI.html>
The general health of Native Americans had apparently been deteriorating for centuries before 1492.

On Your Day's To-Do List, Is Reading The Paper A Must? (David Shaw, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-ca-shaw27oct27.story>
How can newspaper be relevant on routine, personal issues -- while simultaneously trying to explain terrorism, global warming and a faltering economy?

IHT - TWP = NYT (Michael Getler, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20136-2002Oct26.html>
The Times and The Post, intensely competitive in every way, were always an odd couple. Yet the marriage worked, at least for readers. That is, until last Tuesday, when the Times started divorce proceedings.

A Writer Most At Home Out In The Open (Bill Janz, Journal Sentinel)
<http://www.jsonline.com/lifestyle/people/oct02/91040.asp>
Reed retains humor, style as he faces cancer.

Nobel By Association: Beautiful Mind, Non-Existent Prize (Yves Gingras, OpenDemocracy)
<http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=125&DocID=1944&DebateID=233>
Is the Nobel Prize for Economics as real as the Loch Ness monster? A fascinating story of how, when the global public was looking the other way, strategy and snobbery brought a symbolic currency to life.

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Coke Sign Goes Dark In The Heart Of Times Sq. (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/28/nyregion/28COKE.html?8hpib>
After 11 years of teasing parched New Yorkers, the animated Coca-Cola sign in Times Square is dark. Eventually it will be replaced by a more advanced-looking Coke display, the company said.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.