[MyAppleMenu] Oct 25, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 25 21:05:07 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Oct 25, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
1st Apple Store In Maryland Opens (Bob Allen, The Jeffersonian)
<http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=811&NewsID=382249&CategoryID=9045&on=0>
Apple computers' foray into retail store sales has found its way into Maryland with the opening of the Apple Computer Inc. gallery/store in Towson Town Center earlier this month.

Impressions Of A Young Mac Geek (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,55998,00.html>
Ellen Feiss, the star of Apple's "Switch" advertising campaign, was the subject of a look-alike contest in the Netherlands. See the gallery for the remarkable results.

'Apple Macca' In DVD Stand (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=5457>
Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney has emerged as a defender of the Mac cause following an interview on a local US radio station –- winning the admiration of Apple CEO Steve Jobs in the process.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Potholes On Apple's Chip Roadmap? (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/27775.html>
Apple now has a workstation class OS, so it needs a workstation class processor.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
You'll Love It, You'll Hate It, You'll Have Bluetooth (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1632420>
It took far too much time, research, and experimentation to get everything working. On the other hand, even with all the heartache it caused me, I think I may be in love again.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
New York Tells Microsoft To Get Its Butterfly Decals Out Of Town (David W. Dunlap, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/nyregion/25DECA.html>
Two days after city inspectors ripped up illegal Nike advertising decals glued to sidewalks along Central Park West, Microsoft unleashed a swarm of large adhesive butterflies in Manhattan.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Scientists Shrink Computing To Molecular Level (Kenneth Chang, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/technology/25COMP.html>
Using a novel computing technique that resembles an elaborately staged billiards trick shot, I.B.M. scientists have created what they say is not only the world's smallest logic circuit, but also possibly the smallest that could ever be made.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Blog Site Back Up After Hack Attack (Troy Wolverton, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963375.html>
Pyra sparked up its popular Blogger.com site again Friday after shutting it down earlier in the day in response to a hacker attack.

Torvalds: Next Linux Due By June (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963447.html>
The next version of the heart of the Linux operating system is expected by June, project founder and leader Linus Torvalds predicted on Thursday.

Letter: Free Software Hurts US (Robert McMillan, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,55989,00.html>
An attack on the software license behind the Linux operating system has stirred up a free software controversy in Washington.

Blind May Get Look At Digital Pictures (Mike Musgrove, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13851-2002Oct24.html>
Technology lets users 'see' by touch.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Has China Become An Ally? (Kenneth Lieberthal, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/opinion/25LIEB.html>
American relations with China have improved in a way that few could have imagined when the Bush administration entered office and declared China a "strategic competitor." Now signs of serious cooperation are everywhere.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Scientists Shrink Computing To Molecular Level (Kenneth Chang, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/technology/25COMP.html>
Using a novel computing technique that resembles an elaborately staged billiards trick shot, I.B.M. scientists have created what they say is not only the world's smallest logic circuit, but also possibly the smallest that could ever be made.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Fear Factor (Andrew Huang, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0210_31/p066current.html>
Be afraid--an Asian wave of horror at the movies is fast making its way around the world.

Tee Hee (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1403706>
British self-regard on the subject of humour is hilarious.

Small Card, Big Spender (Thomas Hine, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/opinion/25HINE.html>
While we may have vague misgivings about what we'll do when the bills arrive, in the meantime we embrace every innovation that lets us shop as fast as we can.

In Troubled Times, An American Bets On Singapore (Paul Jansen, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,150914,00.html?>
He is acutely aware that as someone who represented the US government, who is now advising a government friendly to the US, and whose name card includes the honorific 'Ambassador', he is more likely to be in the cross-hairs of terrorists than the average American.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Singapore Reminds Malaysia Water Pacts Guaranteed Under Separation Agreement (Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/22856/1/.html>
Political watchers also point out that under the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, which Malaysia has signed, countries cannot enact local laws to invalidate international treaties -- or no one would sign treaties with that government.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Boosts Security At Bars, Clubs, Schools After Bali (Amy Tan, Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1632382>
"The Singapore authorities are acting fairly diligently to minimise the chance of this happening."

We Did Not Make 12 Sen Offer For Water, Says Singapore (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/10/25/nation/sbbodoh&sec=nation>
A Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman said the 12 sen was only a calculation of what the revised price of raw water would be based on the "basis of factors in the review clauses" of the water agreements.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.