[MyAppleMenu] Oct 13, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 13 21:05:02 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Oct 13, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
IBM Server Chip Seen Slimmed Down For Apple Macs (Reuters)
<http://www.forbes.com/business/newswire/2002/10/13/rtr749520.html>
IBM Monday announced a microchip for personal computers that will crunch data in chunks twice as big as the current standard and is expected by industry watchers to be used by Apple.

The Latest Audio Gear For Mac-Based Music Studios (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/10/aesla02/>
The Audio Engineering Society Convention in Los Angeles spotlights the newest pro-oriented hardware and software, with lots of goodies coming for Mac OS X.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Wanted: MS Mac Chief (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/27576.html>
Want to apply for the most thankless job in the world?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Apple Scores With Able Server Hardware And Software (Robert P. Lipschutz and Brian Kenny, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,575556,00.asp>
The Xserve is an impressive server with a multitude of potential uses, excellent ease of use, plenty of storage, and a software configuration that allows for an unlimited number of connections--all at a truly reasonable price.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft's Software Snoops (Brad Stone, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/820718.asp>
Today, Microsoft has a small team of real, trained anthropologists who visit the homes of regular people and study them at their computers, just as they would an indigenous tribe in the Australian outback.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Freedom To Flame (Nicholas Thompson, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/286/focus/Freedom_to_flame+.shtml>
Online political chat is an insult to democracy. Can it be fixed?

In My Own Dream (Steve Gillmor, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/10/14/021014opcurve.xml>
Someone to wake us up before it's too late.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Easy Access To Public Records Online Raises Privacy Questions (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/national/13DOCU.html>
Now governments are examining what information should be made public on the World Wide Web and whether different rules should apply to electronic documents.

'96pc Of Net Radio' To Close After Backroom Deal Screws Grassroots 'Casters (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/27575.html>
The smallest, non-profit webcasters accuse a cabal of thirteen small commercial operations of misleading Congress and the public by negotiating a deal which saves the wealthier stations from performance royalties, while many smaller operations, college stations and amateurs -- the core of the grass roots broadcasters - will go to the wall.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Scope Of Shared Tragedy (Stephen Hunter, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14581-2002Oct11.html>
Simple tools, complex crimes.

Freedom To Flame (Nicholas Thompson, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/286/focus/Freedom_to_flame+.shtml>
Online political chat is an insult to democracy. Can it be fixed?

If The Economy Mattered (David S. Broder, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14938-2002Oct11.html>
Suppose, for a moment, that Iraq and the war on terrorism were not occupying the headlines and competing with the everyday economic issues for the attention of voters. What would the campaign debate look like?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Oil And Water: Why Prizes And Science Don't Mix (George Johnson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/weekinreview/13JOHN.html>
Trying to decide who instead of just what deserves recognition opens the door to the same kind of speculation and subjectivity that surrounds Britain's contentious Booker Prize for the year's best novel.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Up All Night In New York (Jonathan Kandell, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-newyork41oct13001451,0,5373984.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
The premise was simple enough: New York prides itself for being "the city that never sleeps," and having spent much of our lives here, my wife, Joan, and I decided we would finally prove it ourselves.

The Mystery In Box D366 (Peter Katel, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2951-2002Oct9.html>
Sir Timothy Clifford was sure he'd discovered a Michelangelo in a museum storage room. The hard part was making everyone else believe it.

The Myth Of '18 To 34' (Jonathan Dee, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/magazine/13DEMOGRAPHIC.html>
Since the day an ad exec came up with the notion of the targeted demographic, advertisers' fetishizing of this audience block has transformed our culture. But the business premise behind it is bunk.

Men Behaving Badly (Margaret Talbot, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/magazine/13HARASSMENT.html>
Sexual-harassment law is well intentioned, but it's intellectually incoherent. Nothing illustrates this better than strange new cases involving men victimizing men.

Your Call. Everybody's Business. (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/business/yourmoney/13SLAS.html>
Let us proudly tell the world (and the people riding with us in the elevator): "Yes, I have a cellphone. Yes, my wife wants me to bring home a quart of milk. And, yes, we secretly like to dress up like Santa and Mrs. Claus."

For Love -- And Money (Jeet Heer, National Post)
<http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=F17EAD5A-4664-4875-9B98-0A9013D66EFC>
In this world, "selling out" is the ultimate insult. The trick has always been to become popular, but not too popular.

The Drift To Thrift (Tamsin Blanchard, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,810752,00.html>
We've all grown used to living with the threat of redundancy, failing pensions and mortgage rip-offs. But the no-frills economy has had one positive effect. It's put prudence back on the map. Conspicuous consumption has been replaced by cheap chic, and canny shoppers now expect their pound to go further.

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Kiwi Symphony's Errant Scat Music (Kim Griggs, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,55701,00.html>
They had been expecting Wagner; instead, they got "Wee on My Face."

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Malaysia Giving Singapore Last Chance On Water Issue (Bernama)
<http://www.bernama.com.my/B2002/news.shtml?general/ge1310_14>
"We are giving them one more chance. We want to know whether they want to resolve it or otherwise. If they do not want to resolve, we will have to adopt another approach."

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.