[MyAppleMenu] Oct 10, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 10 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, Oct 10, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Every Greenland Elementary Student To Get Laptop: Wireless Network Extends Technology-Enriched Curriculum (Rose Ann Pearce, The Morning News)
<http://www.nwaonline.net/281238482911661.bsp>
"When you put computers in the classroom, there are no limits to what teachers can do to take students where they have never been before."

Windsor 7th-Graders iBooking It: Revolution In The Classroom (Gary Remal, Blethen Maine Newspapers)
<http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/021010laptops_.shtml>
"I liked it. It's fun. I think it's a good idea."

School Officials Worry Apple Pact Could Affect Budget (Eric Beavers, Walker County Messenger)
<http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=730&NewsID=374574&CategoryID=3511&on=0>
Walker County Schools superintendent Roy Sapough said he is not comfortable relying on the state’s promise to reimburse the $178,800 the county will shell out for the system.

A Mac Showplace In Towson: The New Apple Store Has Only One Goal: Hooking You Up With A Mac (David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun)
<http://www.sunspot.net/technology/pluggedin/bal-mac101002,0,5155522.column?coll=bal%2Dhome%2Dextra>
"We want this to be the best place to explore, learn about and try out the Mac experience."

Windows Media 9 Steals MPEG-4's Thunder (Sami Lais, Computerworld)
<http://computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/multimedia/story/0,10801,74849,00.html>
But don't count MPEG-4 out too soon.

Apple Kicks Off "Double Your Memory" Promo (MacMiinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/10/10/doubleyourmemory>

Microsoft Ads To Promote Mac (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-961496.html?tag=fd_top_2>
Microsoft is planning on Thursday to announce a new advertising campaign touting the Macintosh version of its Office suite. The ads, which play up the ability of Macs and PCs to get along, will begin showing up Saturday in magazines geared at Macintosh, business, technology and design audiences, according to an e-mail from a Microsoft representative.

Poll: PowerBook G4 Still Popular (Dominique Fidele, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5387>
Apple's titanium PowerBook G4 remains a firm favourite with the Mac community, a Macworld Online poll shows.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
TiVo Points To Apple's Next Market (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/02/1010.html>
It's time for Apple to stand on the shoulders of TiVo and create the next generation set top box.

Clogging - Expanded (Matthew Langham, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2130>
Apple, listen up.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Illustrator Vs. CorelDraw: Which One Is For You? (Jeff Evans, CanadaComputes)
<http://www.canadacomputes.com/story.asp?id=9057&sb=275>

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (Amy R. Wood, MacHome)
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/display.lasso?grr8=25>
Perhaps our expectations were too high but we thought that we'd get more from this game. A must-have for Star Wars or AoE freaks, but not necessary for casual game fans.

Build Dynamic Web Sites Without Leaving Your Mac (Scot Hacker, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/11/features/database.html>
Whether you use your Mac as a live database server or just as a development environment before you transfer your dynamic site to a big Unix server, this introduction to using Apache, MySQL, and PHP is just the beginning--we've barely scratched the surface of what you can do.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Changing Channels, On The PC (David Pogue, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/technology/circuits/10stat.html>
Still, the more you work with a Media Center PC, the more one question haunts you about the whole concept: What kind of nerd would watch television at a desk?

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Hollywood Vs. Silicon Valley (Cynthia L. Webb, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5593-2002Oct10.html>
Old Mickey Mouse cartoons, the "Happy Birthday" song and other superstar copyrights are at stake in a legal battle pitting movie and music moguls against academics and techies.

TiVo, We Hardly Knew Ye (Brendan I. Koerner, Slate)
<http://www.slate.com/?id=2072037>
Sorry fans, but it's destined for the ash heap of history.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Get Ready For The Obnoxious Online Ad Parade (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3822-2002Oct9.html>
Web advertising is getting ruder and noisier by the week.

Windows Media 9 Steals MPEG-4's Thunder (Sami Lais, Computerworld)
<http://computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/multimedia/story/0,10801,74849,00.html>
But don't count MPEG-4 out too soon.

Is HTML On Its Way Out? (NewsFactor)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=75&ncid=75&e=1&u=/nf/20021009/tc_nf/19623>
Now, though, "X" is slowly starting to mark the hypertext spot as XML, XHTML and other, more sophisticated Internet languages nimbly supplement -- and in some cases supplant -- their older and stodgier cousin.

Ballmer Hints At New MS Office Apps (Karl Schneider, CW360)
<http://www.cw360.com/bin/bladerunner?REQSESS=GC706C7Y&REQAUTH=0&2149REQEVENT=&CARTI=116513&CARTT=1&CCAT=1&CCHAN=1&CFLAV=1>
Microsoft is developing a category of office application aimed at supporting people attending meetings and events.

AOL Takes Cue From TV (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123640,00.html>
The world's biggest online service is hoping to tap into bigger budgets by shifting to broadcast-style ad sales.

Attack Of The Freebie Software (Paul Andrews, U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021014/biztech/14micro.htm>
Microsoft still rules the desktop, but Linux variants are spreading fast.

Yahoo In The Black (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,55679,00.html>
The report comes as Yahoo continues to weather a sluggish period for online advertising spending, which has traditionally been the company's largest source of revenue.

Teaching Java The Extreme Way (Daniel H. Steinberg, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/10/09/javaxp2.html>
In this article, we'll start looking at a test-first approach to programming and to learning.

Clogging - Expanded (Matthew Langham, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2130>
Apple, listen up.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
False Choices On Gun Safety (Jonathan Cowan, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3738-2002Oct9.html>
With more than 500,000 gun-related crimes each year, America cannot focus exclusively on punishing people once they commit gun-related crimes. It must also attempt to stop guns from falling into the wrong hands in the first place.

Fighting Terrorism With Democracy (Richard Rorty, The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021021&s=rorty>
Civilization is now threatened not just by rogue states like Hitler's Germany or Milosevic's Serbia but by people who are not exactly enemy combatants and not exactly criminals.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Ports Have To Go With The Flow (Adam Thierer, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-oe-thierer10oct10,0,257563.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Our docks need new technology, not Luddites.

A Nobel That Bridges Economics And Psychology (Daniel Altman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/business/10PRIZ.html>
Two Americans have won this year's Nobel award in economics for trying to explain idiosyncrasies in people's ways of making decisions, research that has helped incorporate insights from psychology into the discipline of economics.

Guerrilla Warfare, Waged With Code (Jennifer 8 Lee, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/technology/circuits/10hack.html>
"They are computer scientists who have principled causes. They are developing technologies not for commercial purposes, but for political purposes."

TiVo, We Hardly Knew Ye (Brendan I. Koerner, Slate)
<http://www.slate.com/?id=2072037>
Sorry fans, but it's destined for the ash heap of history.

Goodbye To A Friend (PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,614882,00.asp>
Sad news comes to us today from Austin, Texas. Longtime PC Magazine contributor and friend Jim Seymour passed away suddenly yesterday.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Where Every Loin Is Girded For War (Tina Brown, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-441331,00.html>
What America needs now is a good sex scandal. The strain of sustained sobriety in the midst of sabre-rattling is wearing everybody down.

Friends (Rob Walker, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2072059&device=>
How Friends wins advertising friends.

Author Could Use Some Magic In Summoning Book 5 (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-lv-rowling9oct09,0,6935173.story?coll=cl%2Dbooks%2Dfeatures>
With another delay in publishing, J.K. Rowling is on the defensive with fans.

Wired, But Drawing The Line (Katie Hafner, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/technology/circuits/10resi.html>
It is often those who occupy themselves most intensively with technology who have put the most thought into its role in defining who they are.

Forum Asks, Who Owns A Dance? (Jennifer Dunning, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/arts/dance/10LEGA.html?8hpib>
When works from earlier eras were revived, how much of the original were dancers performing and audiences watching?

Art: What's Original Anyway? (Kendra Mayfield, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,55592,00.html>
An upcoming art exhibit teases the bounds of legality by incorporating copyright-protected images, sounds and words. Organizers timed it to coincide with a landmark Supreme Court copyright case.

Rethinking The Think Tanks (Curtis Moore, Sierra Magazine)
<http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200207/thinktank.asp>
How industry-funded "experts" twist the environmental debate.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.