[MyAppleMenu] Oct 8, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 8 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Oct 8, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Red-Faced Apple Fights .Mac Brown-Outs (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/27482.html>
"Remember your story about Mac users demanding worse service? Apple seem to be delivering."

MyAppleMenu : News

Apple Posts Mac OS X Modem Update (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/10/08/macosxmodem>
The update resolves a rare issue in which a built-in modem cannot dial up after updating or installing Mac OS X 10.2.

Macworld Returning To Boston (Scott Van Voorhis, Boston Herald)
<http://www.businesstoday.com/business/technology/mac10082002.htm>
Boston has beat out the Big Apple for the blockbuster 2004 Macworld show, which could pump tens of millions into the city's hard-hit economy.

New Day Dawns Thanks To Mozilla Software (Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy08.html>
Now, I can say with a straight face that you can replace Explorer with Mozilla outright, and outside of the improvements, it's possible you'll never know the difference.

RealOne For OS X Beta 2 Adds Subscription Services, More (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0210/08.real.php>
The new version provides premium RealOne subscription content and other new features to Mac users.

Apple Posts .Mac Status Site (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=16879>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Stability Isn't Sexy (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/index.htm#nothing>
This year's model can't look like last year's.

Apple In OpenSourceLand (Yves de Champlain, OS X FAQ)
<http://www.osxfaq.com/Editorial/open/index.ws>

Dear '.Mac Member, We're Sorry' (Ron Carlson, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1071>
We need relief from this performance anxiety and we need it soon.

Mac OS X: More Creative Than You Think (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2112>
It's true, Mac OS X is great for geeks. Guilty as charged. But as a photographer, amateur movie maker, and former (bad) musician, I can also tell you that this is a great platform for creativity.

The Real Battle (Doc Searls, Linux Journal)
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6360>
What's clear is that technologists on both sides are siding with the future. If you care more about opportunities than threats, put your bets on those guys.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Sonnett Piccolo (MacSingapore)
<http://macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/piccolo/>
All in all, this is a must-have device if you work with more than one computers.

PowerBook G4/400 (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/benchmarks/tibook.html>

Fireworks MX (Dean Browell, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/alust/resources/Reviews/Archives/fwmx/fwmx.shtml>
The designers have clearly settled into the skin of Firework's comfortable framework and made competent, clever design choices in upgrading this app.

Mac OS X Report Card: October 2002 (Adam C. Engst, O'Reilly Network)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06954>
Apple has done well (the grade would definitely have been lower before Jaguar, and much lower still before Mac OS X 10.1). But as remains obvious to those of us who have used the Mac for years, Apple still has plenty of work to do in core areas.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Steps Up Efforts To Lure Unix Migrators (Peter Galli, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,605257,00.asp>
Microsoft on Tuesday launched a more comprehensive program to help drive customers away from Unix and onto the Windows platform.

Pentium 4 Overhaul set For 2005 (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-961210.html?tag=lh>
Concepts in the current chip line will be found in Nehalem, but it will contain new, and largely unknown, features such as improved power management that will mark it as a distinct evolutionary step, similar to the changeover from the Pentium II to the Pentium III.

MS Experiences Networking Difficulty (Joe Wilcox, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-961223.html>
As Microsoft begins its push into the market for home-networking gear, its new products are having trouble keeping computers connected.

Microsoft: Users May Have To Pay For Security (Peter Judge, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t272-s2123526,00.html>
Microsoft is considering charging for additional security options, and admits it didn't move on security until customers were ready to pay for it.

Bugbear To Set New Virus Record (Robert Lemos and Matthew Broersma, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-961130.html>
The Bugbear computer virus may be spreading more slowly this week than last, but it's still on track to be the most prolific e-mail virus to date, antivirus experts said on Monday.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Google Explains New Page Rankings (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/27500.html>
"We're always trying new experiments and this was a natural extension of that; we have human evaluators who test each index. Things have to score higher before we push a new index out."

The Real Battle (Doc Searls, Linux Journal)
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6360>
What's clear is that technologists on both sides are siding with the future. If you care more about opportunities than threats, put your bets on those guys.

Accessibility Court Cases Worth Thinking About (Adrian Holovaty)
<http://holovaty.com/blog/archive/2002/10/07/1156>
Don't wait until the law makes you do it. Make your site accessible now.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
IT Jobs Outlook (eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,599021,00.asp>
When will the IT jobs picture brighten, and what should you do until then? A select group of CIOs, educators and work force experts weigh in.

Spam Blocker Has Opposite Effect (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55613,00.html>
Satisfied users of junk e-mail filter SpamNet protest loudly when unsolicited messages suddenly flood their inboxes. The problem? System "upgrades" -- and the widespread UUNet failure.

Court Cracks Down On URL Copycat (Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-961276.html>
An anti-abortion activist will face contempt of court charges Wednesday for registering domain names similar to those owned by the Washington Post Co.

Can Ads Pull Yahoo Out Of A Spot? (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-961282.html>
When Web portal Yahoo reports its third-quarter fiscal earnings on Wednesday, all eyes will be searching for improvement in its online advertising business.

Transmeta Chief: 'We're Years Ahead Of Intel' (Tony Hallett, Silicon.com)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123549,00.html>
Chief executive Matthew Perry thinks Transmeta can hold off Intel in the mobile processor market.

Xbox Version Of Linux Finished (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-961243.html>
A hacker group specializing in software for Microsoft's Xbox announced late Monday the release of the first full version of Linux for the game console.

New Day Dawns Thanks To Mozilla Software (Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy08.html>
Now, I can say with a straight face that you can replace Explorer with Mozilla outright, and outside of the improvements, it's possible you'll never know the difference.

Lindows To Court: "Windows" Is Generic Term (Scarlet Pruitt, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/08/021008hnlindows.xml?s=IDGNS>
The similarities between the Lindows and Windows names do not impede on Microsoft's copyrights since "windows" is a generic term for a type of software product.

Report: Wi-Fi Networks Too Risky (Elisa Batista, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,55556,00.html>
Starbucks customers who like surfing the Net wirelessly as they sip lattes might be surprised to hear that the federal government considers the practice dangerous.

IBM Retools Unix Software (Stephen Shankland, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-961133.html>
IBM on Tuesday will release improvements to its AIX version of Unix that makes the software better able to juggle multiple jobs in the same machine.

Britain Clicks On Broadband Button (Stephen Timms, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2307263.stm>
The number of broadband users in Britain has hit the one million mark.

Glitterati Vs. Geeks (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/817175.asp>
Two heavyweights, Hollywood and Silicon Valley, take the fight over content to the Supremes.

Blog, Blog, Blog... Enough Already! (Steve Outing, E-Media Tidbits)
<http://www.poynter.org/tidbits/2002_10_06_tidbitsarchive.htm#85534518>
"Maybe we can come up with a new word to describe journalistic blogging."

All The World's An MIT Campus (Kendra Mayfield, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,55507,00.html>
Now the rest of the world can access MIT's curriculum on the Web for free, no tests or admissions essays required.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Ripple Effect Of Dockworkers' Strike Could Turn Into tsunami (David Helvarg, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-helvarg8oct08,0,2808102.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Globalization makes a world of difference in port labor disputes.

Too Close For Comfort (Ken Ringle, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57358-2002Oct7.html>
The scariest thing is we're going to get used to this.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Jealous? Maybe It's Genetic. Maybe Not. (Erica Goode, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/08/health/psychology/08JEAL.html?8hpib>
Two new papers question evidence, assembled by evolutionary psychologists, for the notion that jealousy evolved differently in men and in women.

Biology Vs. The Blank Slate (Ronald Bailey and Nick Gillespie, Reason)
<http://reason.com/0210/fe.rb.biology.shtml>
Evolutionary psychologist Steven Pinker deconstructs the great myths about how the mind works.

All The World's An MIT Campus (Kendra Mayfield, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,55507,00.html>
Now the rest of the world can access MIT's curriculum on the Web for free, no tests or admissions essays required.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Follow The Yellow Page Road (Mark Lewis, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2071945&device=>
How an old-economy business is bailing out the new-economy telecoms.

An Iraqi Man Of Letters (Nicholas D. Kirstof, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/08/opinion/08KRIS.html>
We in the West tend to have a two-dimensional image of the man we're about to go to war with. So I roamed Iraq looking for that third dimension.

Cable Conquered, What's Next For 'The Sopranos'? (Bill Carter, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/07/business/media/07SOPR.html?ex=1034968187&amp;ei=1&amp;en=7023d0a94056b415>
Especially tantalizing to its producers is the fact that "The Sopranos" is now attracting broadcast network-size ratings even though only a third of the nation's television audience subscribes to HBO, the pay-cable channel that reaches 30 million homes.

Can J-School Be Saved? (Jack Shafer, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2071993>
Professional advice for Columbia University.

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Blog, Blog, Blog... Enough Already! (Steve Outing, E-Media Tidbits)
<http://www.poynter.org/tidbits/2002_10_06_tidbitsarchive.htm#85534518>
"Maybe we can come up with a new word to describe journalistic blogging."

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.