[MyAppleMenu] Oct 4, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 4 21:05:06 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Oct 4, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
High-Tech Tools Bring Film To Life (Lois M. Collins, Deseret News)
<http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,410016573,00.html?>
The movie "Charly" wasn't made on a Hollywood budget. Instead, it was a collaboration brought together by Brigham Young University buddies who went for a fat, sleek look on a budgetary diet. And they edited the entire film on a laptop.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
EyeTV 1.03 Software Adds Features To DVR (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=16832>
It adds new features such as repeating schedules, a new slider control to adjust the recording duration, higher quality VideoCDs (with Roxio Toast), an option to keep the entirelive TV buffer in RAM, new sound preferences, and other enhancements.

Troy, MI Apple Store Opens Next Weekend (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0210/04.troy.php>
Apple noted today plans to open its latest retail store at the Somerset Collection, a mall located in Troy, Mi. The store will open at 10 AM on Saturday, October 12.

Real Cure For The Vileness Of Visual Basic (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27424.html>
With Cocoa such an attractive environment for developers, it's a credit to REAL that it's maintained mindshare in the move to OS X.

Video Production Lab Given To Hamden High (Rebecca Baker, New Haven Register)
<http://www.newhavenregister.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1281&dept_id=7572&newsid=5594243&PAG=461&rfi=9>

Ex-Apple Official Critiques Open-Source Project (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/03/021003hndarwin.xml>
Darwin as an operating system is not that interesting, according to Wilfredo Sanchez Vega. OpenDarwin represents a standalone Unix system, but the world does not need another Unix system.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
One-Third Of Slashdot Readers Find The Mac 'Very Tempting' (Jim Vanaria, OSNews.com)
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1874>
It does raise an eyebrow here and there.

OpenOffice/NeoOffice On Mac OS X (Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2097>
More work remains, but the fact is, we've been able to make enormous progress with just 2-3 people.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
New Crop Of Apples (Peter Lewis, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=209706>
The juiciest new product from Apple Computer is the Mac OS X version 10.2 operating system.

Macally iOptiJr Mouse (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/usb/ioptijr.html>
Not only is this a nice mouse, it's quite affordable.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Why You Should Wait For Dell's Handhelds (David Berlind, ZDNet)
<http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2882305,00.html>
Unless you need a handheld device tomorrow, my advice to those who are looking for a PDA is to wait and see what Dell comes up with.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
What Can You Expect From Chips Of The Future? (Tom Krazit, IDG News Service)
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105660,00.asp>
>From Intel's Banias processors to IBM's PowerPCs, vendors prepare to share the details of their next-generation CPUs.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
AOLTW Enforces Patents With Liberty Single Sign-On (Matt Berger, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/04/021004hnliberty.xml?s=IDGNS>
The single sign-on authentication technology under development by the Liberty Alliance Project could be bound by intellectual property restraints, despite a pledge from project founders who have said the technology will be open and royalty-free.

"Wi-Fi5" Doesn't Make The Cut (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-960880.html>
Wi-Fi Alliance instead decided to call the new products "Wi-Fi," the same name it gives certified equipment based on the 802.11b standard.

AOL 8.0 Drops Satellite Subscribers (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-960882.html>
America Online is sending a new message to subscribers using broadband satellite connections: It's not good enough for you.

Web Services Growing Pains Expected To Continue (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/04/021004hngrowingpains.xml>
Web services provides great potential, but its growing pains will continue, according to panelists at a session of the Web Services Edge 2002 conference here on Thursday.

In Reversal, Sun To Ship $99 Solaris 9 x86 (Peter galli, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,588641,00.asp>
After months of indecision, Sun will now ship Solaris 9 x86, unbundled, supporting both the Sun hardware platform, for both current and future products, as well as the same list of all hardware supported for Solaris 8, according to Sun officials.

Ex-Apple Official Critiques Open-Source Project (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/03/021003hndarwin.xml>
Darwin as an operating system is not that interesting, according to Wilfredo Sanchez Vega. OpenDarwin represents a standalone Unix system, but the world does not need another Unix system.

Securing Linux (Michael D. bauer, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/10/03/securinglinux.html>
Why it's worthwhile and achievable.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The President's Real Goal In Iraq (Jay Bookman, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
<http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/opinion/0902/29bookman.html>
This war, should it come, is intended to mark the official emergence of the United States as a full-fledged global empire, seizing sole responsibility and authority as planetary policeman.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Sky's The Limit (Daniel Henninger, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/dhenninger/?id=110002383>
Rebuilding downtown New York shouldn't mean blotting out the sun.

The Wrong Truck (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40939-2002Oct3.html>
Drivers of delivery vehicles brave stares and police stops as the hunt for a killer gears up.

Forbes ASAP, Magazine Of New Market, Shuts Down (David Carr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/04/business/media/04FORB.html>
In what has become a familiar story, a magazine formed to cover the rise of the digital economy has been done in by its decline.

Weblogs And THe Mass Amateurization Of Publishing (Clay Shirky)
<http://www.shirky.com/writings/weblogs_publishing.html>
This destruction of value is what makes weblogs so important. We want a world where global publishing is effortless. We want a world where you don't have to ask for help or permission to write out loud.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.