[MyAppleMenu] Nov 27, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 27 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Brings Promos To Education Customers (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/27.educationpromos.php>
"Brighten Your Holidays" and "Jingle Bells and Whistles" are now available from the Apple Store for Education.

Mozilla Web Browser Updated (MacMinute)
<http://macminute.com/2002/11/27/mozilla>

RFID Vendors Target Amusement Parks (RFID Journal)
<http://www.rfidjournal.com/news/nov02/parks112702.html>
Protecting children and enabling cashless payments make RFID an appealing option for the industry.

Kristen Ashburn (Outside The Frame, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/ashburn/>

Pedro Meyer: In A Digital Moment (Joe Cellini, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/meyer/>
"There is no way I can fail to get the picture I need in today's digitally matrixed world -- it just shouldn't happen."

Jack Dangers: Master Of Dub Electronica (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/dangers/>

Speaking Through Music (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/zimmer/>
"I think the Mac is really intuitive. It feels solid."

Apple Releases Power Mac G4 Firmware Update (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/11/26/powermacfirmware>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
An Apple A Day (Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/27/1038274342344.html>
If you happen to be flying by the chimney of the ancestral manse this coming Christmas morn, what about dropping off one of those new 1GHz Titanium PowerBooks?

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Hi-Tech Workplace No Better Than Factories (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2514771.stm>
Staff in technology jobs work in the white collar equivalent of a 19th century factory. suffering from isolation, job insecurity and long hours, research has found.

Why Security Flaws Need To Come Out Into The Open (Robert Vamosi, CNET)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2898649,00.html>
While announcing vulnerabilities publicly can increase the likelihood of new malicious attacks, the fact that large software companies can't or won't fix flaws that are reported to them is a more serious problem. Sometimes, the only way to make a company respond responsibly is to make the vulnerability information public.

Students Learning To Evade Moves To Protect Media Files (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/27/technology/27SWAP.html>
As colleges across the country seek to stem the torrent of unauthorized digital media files flowing across their campus computer networks, students are devising increasingly sophisticated countermeasures to protect their free supply of copyrighted entertainment.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
AOL 'Communicator' Threatens Netscape (Nate Mook, BetaNews)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,731964,00.asp>
Sources say a faction of the company is pushing for Communicator to succeed Netscape, which has all but disappeared from users' screens.

Is It Time To Move On? (Stephanie Wilkinson, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,728558,00.asp>
>From newly minted computer science graduates who are rethinking their career path in the face of dwindling job offers to midlife IT pros tired of shuffling between jobs in a hurting field, increasing numbers of techies are either contemplating or making the big break.

Sun To Give StarOffice Java Flavor (Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-975529.html>
Sun Microsystems is building a Java-based development kit for its StarOffice software to help corporate programmers customize desktop applications, a move that better pits it against Microsoft's dominant Office.

Open-Source CMS: On The Rise (John McGrath, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000024981,20270243,00.htm>
Cash-strapped, and looking for new options, IT managers are warming to open-source content management products.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Why Self-Esteem Doesn't Work (Mary Ann Sieghart, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-493494,00.html>
We must teach our children to fend for themselves and to cope when life deals them a low blow.

Bye-Bye, Burgers (James M. Pethokoukis, U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021202/biztech/2food.htm>
Americans are really chowing down at 'quick casual' restaurants.

Yes, But Are You Happy? (John Balzar, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-balzar27nov27,0,4858076.column?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Money may be good, but friends -- be they real or imaginary -- are better.

Paul And George, Yesterday Meets Tomorrow (Eli Attie, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43678-2002Nov26.html>
Harrison's and McCartney's albums are not merely as reflections of different lifestyle choices, but also are interpretations of rock itself.

A Wanderer At Home In Grass And Stardust (Dennis Overbye, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/26/science/26ESSA.html>
Where is home, cowboy? My mind buzzed.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Ortlieb's Uptown Taproom (W.S. Di Piero, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2073291&device=>

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Aides Find Ledger From First Congress (Associated Press)
<http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/11/25/senate.artifact.ap/index.html>
The handwriting is a fastidious cursive, the signatures include those of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, the columns record an era when senators were paid the lofty wage of $6 a day.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
No Easing Of 'Free Speech' Laws In Singapore (AFP)
<http://www.brunei-online.com/bb/wed/nov27w7.htm>
Strictly-regulated Singapore may be taking on a slightly more relaxed attitude, but the government said Tuesday there would be no easing up on stringent laws covering public speaking.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Had Survived Much Worse Sceanrios: PM Goh (S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/25666/1/.html>
Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong has urged young Singaporeans to put things in perspective since Singapore has survived scenarios which have been much worse.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.