[MyAppleMenu] Nov 24, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 24 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Nov 24, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
How The Leopard Got His Spots (Oliver Masciarotte, Mix)
<http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_leopard_spots/index.htm>
Apple's point-two version of OS X has more than 100 improvements, and many of them translate into more joy for the audio practitioner.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple To Open Oak Brook Retail Store Friday (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/11/23/retailstore>

'Dreamweaver MX: The Missing Manual' Released (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/23.manual.php>

New Store At Plaza Aims To Up Visibility (Carl Rotenberg, Times Herald)
<http://www.timesherald.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1672&dept_id=32092&newsid=6157921&PAG=461&rfi=9>
The spiffy new Apple store on the lower level of the Plaza at King of Prussia is loaded with Macintosh computers and accessories to tempt the wallets of holiday shoppers.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple And The Priate Everyman (Plasticbag.org)
<http://www.plasticbag.org/files/old/003188.shtml>
Apple is one hundred percent ahead of the game here -- so far ahead, in fact -- that it's completely unable to say it loud and clear.

Dear Santa Macintosh (Simon St. Laurent, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2352>
The size and weight of the iBook are fine with me, but I want less.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Apple's Expansive iMac (Al Griffin, Sound & Vision)
<http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Equipment/articledisplay.asp?ArticleID=178>
My first thought was that it would make a great all-purpose computer/entertainment center for a college student in a dorm room. On second thought, almost anyone would be thrilled to own this remarkable machine.

Controlling iTunes With Perl (brian d foy, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/22/itunes_perl.html>
Once I have a back end, I can create almost any interface to iTunes that I like, and I do.

Apple eMac (Michael Tedeschi, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28460-2002Nov22.html>
The eMac is a good little computer overall. Is it enough to make a lifelong Windows user replace his PC? No, but it will have me cursing my own Windows box more often.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsofter (Steve Bodow, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/magazine/24BALLMER.html>
The software giant has emerged from its antitrust quagmire, and it has a new product to pitch. Might its reversal of fortune have something to do with Steve Ballmer's re-engineered personality?

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
New Gizmos May Spark Deregulation (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,56558,00.html>
It almost sounds too "Star Trek" to be possible: A multipurpose cell phone that also serves as an FM radio, walkie-talkie, garage door opener and TV remote control. And what if every time you made a call with that handset it increased the performance of other phones already in use instead of competing for airwaves with them?

Efforts To Stop Music Piracy 'Pointless' (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2502399.stm>
So says a research paper prepared by computer scientists working for software giant Microsoft.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
No Hope (James Traub, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/magazine/24WWLN.html>
This month's election was the first one since 1990 that was not, in some sense, a referendum on Bill Clinton.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Walker In The Wireless City (Tom Vanderbilt, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/nyregion/24FEAT.html>
While most people were not watching, New York has become host to yet another layer of infrastructure, a random, interlinking constellation of what are called "wireless access points."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Are You Panicking Yet? (Ann Treneman, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-488165,00.html>
I realised it made sense to strip Christmas of all emotion and treat it as a military operation.

What's The Big Idea? (Guy Claxton, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,796509,00.html>
Where do creative people get their inspiration, and why we're all more creative than we think.

Go West, Young Mutant (Michael T. Jarvis, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-opbarsoom47nov24,0,2330961.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
In Southern California, Sci-Fi found a space in the sun.

Is This Any Way To Run A Divorce? (Bob Thompson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11784-2002Nov19.html>
When Eli and Debbie split up, after 15 years of marriage, they worked really hard to do right by their kids. The result looks a lot different from the stereotypes.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore's Economy Unlikely To Fall Into Double Dip Recession: PM Goh (Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/25417/1/.html>
He urged Singaporeans to take heart and look to the future, as there is foreign direct investment pouring in, as well as the free trade agreements, which will create more jobs.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.