[MyAppleMenu] Nov 1, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 1 21:05:02 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Nov 1, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Stores Offer A Chance To Polish The Apple (David Sheets, St Louis Post-Depatch)
<http://home.post-dispatch.com/channel%5Cpdweb.nsf/TodayFriday/86256A0E0068FE5086256C64004754D8?OpenDocument>
"I now know what I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a Mac genius."

Japan's Growing Mac 'Mod' Squad (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56085,00.html>
Mac owners in Japan love to modify their Macs, from painting the lids of laptops to replacing the entire shell with custom-made transparent plastic.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
'Modders' Can't Leave Macs Alone (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56086,00.html>
Tinkering with computer hardware is an old hobby popular with PC owners. Still, some Apple users can't help but get into the act.

Dell Will Not Sell iPods In UK (Simon Aughton, MacUser)
<http://www.pcpro.co.uk/front_index.php?ip=1&page=%2Fnews%2Fnews_story.php%3Fid%3D34635>

Online, The Dead Do Tell Tales (Glen Helfand, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,55846,00.html>
Morticians can thank the popularity of HBO's Six Feet Under for giving their industry a quirky TV profile, but consumer technology is also redefining the once-staid business by adding a whole new "product" line -- the digital memorial.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
The Point Not Taken (Timothy R. Butler, Open For Business)
<http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=178>
No matter how often it has been said, it seems that many GNU/Linux and Macintosh users refuse to see the obvious.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
It's Everything I Need And More (Bernard Quinn, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/first/02/1101.html>
My iBook does everything I need it to and more. It looks great, and I'm having fun using a computer for the first time in years.

Norton Antivirus 8.0: Stalwart Virus-Protection Suite Comes To Mac OS X (Stephan Somogyi, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/11/reviews/norton.html>
With the exception of PC virus detection, Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 8.0.2 provides the tools necessary to keep your Mac free of viruses. The responsibility for updating your virus definitions, however, remains with you.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Gates' Pen Vs. The Keyboard? (Jay Greene, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2002/tc2002111_7927.htm>
After many trials and failures, Microsoft says it finally has tablet PC software that works. Here's the inside story.

Microsoft Renews Video Editing Push (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-964173.html>
Microsoft will add a video-editing feature to its Windows XP operating system with a new program that automates and simplifies home movie making, the world's largest software maker said on Friday.

Namibia Wisely Spurns M$ 'Gift' In Favor Of Linux (Thomas C Greene, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27878.html>
Accepting the 'gift' would entail outlays of money in the range of fifteen times the value of the M$ Trojan horse.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Does Search Engine's Power Threaten Web's Independence? (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2009-1023-963618.html>
So powerful has Google become that many companies view it as the Web itself: If you're not listed on its indexes, they say, you might as well not exist.

PalmOS 6 Details Emerge (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregus.com/content/54/26825.html>
The new OS will feature multimedia and graphics frameworks drawn from BeOS.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Free Thinkers (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1422199>
Can free source-code stop Microsoft?

Internet Retailing Is Growing Into A State Of Maturity (David Colker, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-ecom31oct31001423,0,6142973.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
The good news for electronic commerce is that it isn't just for tech-savvy shoppers anymore. The bad news is that e-commerce merchants are now at the mercy of the same economic factors that are battering traditional retailers.

The Death Of The Tech Trade Show (Jon Oltsik, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2010-1071-964080.html?tag=fd_nc_1>
Perhaps the ultimate irony is that after all those networking, e-business and cyberevents, the Internet itself was the greatest contributor to the death of trade shows.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Step Right Up, Walk Right In (James P. Pinkerton, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-pink31oct31,0,5497277.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
This is homeland security?

Memorial Rally (George F. Will, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49221-2002Oct31.html>
So began the pre-election phase of the Minnesota Democrats' post-election campaign.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
NP Or Not NP? (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1416184>
Dr Demaine and his colleagues have demonstrated that Tetris belongs to a class of mathematical problems known as NP-complete.

Selling The Free Lunch (Graham P. Collins, Scientific American)
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?colID=7&articleID=0000A167-1A25-1D9A-815A809EC5880000>
Perpetual motion has changed its name but not its methods.

10 Confounding Cosmic Questions (Joe Rao, Space.com)
<http://www.space.com/spacewatch/confounding_questions_021025-1.html>
Here’s my own personal list of ten Confounding Cosmic Questions, in no particular order, along with some less confounding answers.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Red Scare (Jack Shafer, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2073375&device=>
In Chicago, the Tribune Co.'s Red Eye races Hollinger's Red Streak to the bottom.

The Pinch of Piracy Wakes China Up On Copyright Issue (Joseph Kahn, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/01/business/01PIRA.html>
Throughout the 1990's, intellectual property was mainly seen as a trade dispute pitting the wealthy West against the developing East. It's now also a domestic struggle, with local stars complaining that they get little fortune from their own fame.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
My Father, The Ghost Hunter (Cameron Barrett)
<http://www.camworld.com/stories/my_father_the_ghost_hunter.html>
It's only now that I am an adult and can look back at my childhood memories with a new perspective and realize that he was more than just my dad. It is only now that I can come to terms with the idea that my father could see ghosts.

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
A Grimace For Le Big Mac (Associated Press)
<http://money.cnn.com/2002/10/31/news/companies/mcdonalds_france.ap/index.htm>
The French division of McDonald's has run ads that included a surprising suggestion: Kids shouldn't eat at McDonald's more than once a week.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Malaysia Blamed For Talks Breakdown (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,152330,00.html?>
Case laid before Parliament, explaining S'pore's willingness to make concessions, and Malaysia's refusal to compromise.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Water Negotiations Must Still Take Its Course, Says Syed Hamid (The Star)
<http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/11/1/latest/8446Waternego&sec=latest>
"One thing we have to be very clear is to ask Singapore whether they want to negotiate for a settlement or for the matter to be resolved in court. But if you are interested in negotiations and at the same time you are saying that Malaysia has lost its right, it shows that there is no sincerity and goodwill (on Singapore’s side)."

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.