[MyAppleMenu] May 30, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 30 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Maine Laptop Funding Threatened (Katie Dean, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,52743,00.html>
A $180-million budget shortfall in Maine is threatening a statewide laptop program for middle schools, just as teachers are seeing initial success with their students.

Geeks In Alaska (David Pogue, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/30/technology/circuits/30POGUE-EMAIL.html?tntemail0>
In the coming days, we'll be treated to staggeringly beautiful glaciers, eagles and whales, and the ghosts of gold-rush towns -- if, that is, we can tear ourselves away from our Macs.

=== news =============

MYOB Grabs Mac Accounting Software Market Lead (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/30.myob.php>
MYOB US Inc. said that it has about 54.4 percent market share in the Mac accounting category, bettering companies like Intuit, CheckMark Software and Aatrix Software.

Apple Addicts Bid For Flower Power (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-928810.html>
Mac enthusiasts will have a chance to bid on leftovers from Apple Comptuer's warehouse in an online auction Friday.

Apple Design Focus In Design Week (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4739>
"Do you take the time to get it exactly right and risk messing up the launch and sales next quarter? Or do you rush ahead and accept less than the best?"

Nvidia: Forget Microsoft -- Chip's Ahoy (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=73&ncid=738&e=7&u=/zd/20020529/tc_zd/896996>
The company expects to have the largest share of the Macintosh market "very soon."

What's In A Name? For FireWire, Plenty (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-928089.html?legacy=cnet&tag=pt.mrktwtch.story.alrt.9973537>
For several years, Apple Computer's FireWire has been the leading means of providing high-speed connections between computers and digital devices, but fresh competition is forcing the company and other backers to rethink how they market the technology.

Domain Troubles (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/articles/02/05/29/2050202.shtml>
It appears that the MacSlash domain no longer belongs to me.

=== opinions =============

How Will All These Mac-Centric Web Sites Survive In The Future? (John Manzione, MacNETv2)
<http://www.macnet2.com/index.php?itemid=134>
The Mac community deserves some great web sites.

Is Apple Ready To Ditch Mac OS 9? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/index.htm#ditch>
I don't see Classic disappearing any time soon.

Why I Use A Mac (Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/lab/02/0530.html>

Late To The Party... (Brett McLaughlin, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1464>
Anything that an 8-month, 3week pregnant woman coos over at this point that doesn't wear diapers is a <i>major</i> deal, you know...

=== reviews =============

Eudora 5.1.1 (Charles W. Moore, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2002/05/20020530134008.shtml>

Packing A Bigger Punch (Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Hearld)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/05/29/1022569788690.html>
THe new generation of iBooks may not look prettier but they've got more where it counts.

Apple iMac 2 (PC Magazine)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Products/Hardware/1132240>
Can you resist the iMac 2's revolutionary design?

=== internet top news =============

Weblog Journalism Is Hard, And It Smells Funny (chromatic, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1460>
There's still a lot wrong with journalism, but the technology of weblogs won't fix it.

=== internet news =============

Look Out! Broadband Prices Rising (Sam Ames, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-928512.html>
Consumers just keep paying more for high-speed Internet access, according to recent research.

A Broadband In Every Pot (Farhad Manjoo, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,52827,00.html>
The broadband dream needs a little push.

Domain Troubles (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/articles/02/05/29/2050202.shtml>
It appears that the MacSlash domain no longer belongs to me.

=== wintel news =============

AMD CUts Prices To Match Intel (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9976560-0.html>
Advanced Micro Devices has slashed prices of its desktop and mobile Athlon processors just days after a similar move by rival Intel.

The Networking Game (Tim Bajarin, ABCNews.com)
<http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/SILICON_INSIGHTS_BAJARIN_020530.html>
Xbox's online connectivity more than just a plaything.

Here's How YOU Would Change Windows (David Morgenstern, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2868356,00.html>
Mnay of you speculated that the changes could affect Windows' already-suspect reliability and security, with viruses or worms finidng new ways to take advantage of the now-hidden middleware applications and services.

=== reader : world =============

Read All About It (Alkman Granitsas and Shawn W. Crispin, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0206_06/p032innov.html>
Despite a regionwide advertising slump and overcrowded markets, some Asian newspapers are finding new ways to reach advertisers and readers.

Bridging The Pond (Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/agenda/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1153874>
The main reason for optimism is that the administration seems at last to have resolved an important difference over NATO.

=== reader : life =============

Been There, Smashed That (Douglas Cruickshank, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2002/05/30/krafft_profile/index.html>
>From porcelain machine guns to plates commemorating hideous disasters, artist Charles Krafft's grimly satirical work sheds strange light on an age when terror is rattling our teacups.

Crash Culture (P. Smith, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/05/30/china_airlines_crash/index.html>
Who is to blame when a 22-year-old 747 falls from the sky?

Can Lifestyle Mavens Make A City Boom? (Rob Walker, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066325>
What's worked in Austin (or Dallas, for that matter) is more complicated and harder to duplicate than <i>The Rise of the Creative Class</i> sometimes implies.

A True Woman Of Mystery (Jennifer Frey, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30241-2002May29.html>
The original Carolyn Keene -- the first, and best, of the ghostwriters, the one who gave Nancy Drew her personality and her keenness, her independence and her spunk -- is exactly what we'd hope to find. Her name was Mildred Wirt Benson, and she died Tuesday night in Toledo at the age of 96.

A Cost-Free, Not Carefree, Education (Theola Labbé, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23967-2002May28.html>
3 D.C. students struggle to adjust at college in rural Maryland.

In Old Austria, The Shock Of The New (Alastair Gordon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/30/garden/30VIEN.html?8hpib>
A surge of young Viennese architects are instigating a debate over how best to create a modern presence without obscuring the masklike facades and enigmatic surfaces of the city's atmospheric past.

Wired Now Looks As Good As It Is (Michael Prager, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/149/living/Wired_now_looks_as_good_as_it_is-.shtml>
There are graphic designers who would tell you that what they do is every bit as important as the content they're presenting - a tough proposition to accept. But the new Wired might help make their case.

=== reader : expressions =============

The Thing In The Forest (A. S. Byatt, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?020603fi_fiction>

Home Again, Home Again (Cory Doctorow, Kiss Machine)
<http://www.kissmachine.org/doctorow.html>
The kids in my local bat-house breathe heavy metals, and their gelatinous bodies quiver nauseously during our counseling sessions, and for all that, they reacted just like I had when I told them I was going away for a while -- with hurt and betrayal, and they aroused palpable guilt in me.

=== singapore top news =============

Chinatown Back On Track (Karl Ho, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,122885,00.html?>
After about four years of dust and jams, the air is finally clearing in Chinatown, as the main roads are re-opened and the new MRT station is finally ready to roll.

Singapore Government Urged To Reduce State Role In Business (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,46716,00.html?>
The message came from the Economic Review Committee's sub-committee on entrepreneurship and internationalisation.

=== singapore news =============

No More Pressure Test Of Gas Pipes For Now (John Baptist Tay, PowerGas, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,123002,00.html?>
PowerGas has commenced a full investigation into the incident to establish its cause.

Singapore Court Dismisses IDA Lawsuit Against SingTel (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,46720,00.html?>
"As is the common parlance in the world of business 'a deal is a deal'."

SingTel Seeks To Raise Local Phonse Charges (Chan Hwa Loon, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/9351/1/.html>
SingTel is again seeking to raise local phone charges.

Stalled Train Causes LRT Disruption At Bukit Panjang (Chia Hui Kheng, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/9359/1/.html>
A train fault on Thursday evening caused a 10-minute disruption.

---