[MyAppleMenu] May 27, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 27 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple 'iBrowser' Insurgency Denied By AOL Techs (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25451.html>
We'd rate the likelihood of an Apple iBrowser as pretty outstandingly remote. Despite the sound technical and political advantages, it's a long-term commitment that only the brave would make.

Experts Explode 'Mac Is Safer' Myth (James Middleton, vnunet.com)
<http://www.computing.vnunet.com/News/1132092>
Mac users are no safer from the threat of viruses than Windows users, according to Antivirus firm Symantec.

=== opinions =============

Apple Takes Several Advantages Into The Server Market (Henry Baltazar, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1870&a=27352,00.asp>
Can Apple really compete as a server vendor?

=== reviews =============

Diplomacy, Dodges, Dragons (Peter Cohen, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/06/reviews/gameroom.html>
If strategy games are your thing, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better value than Civilization III this season, warts and all. Off-road-racing games are rare on the Mac, so 4x4 Evo 2 is an option, though not a particularly compelling one. And if you've been looking for an excuse to try Myst but haven't gotten around to it yet, RealMyst might give you the excuse you've been looking for. Finally, if you want to lose yourself for hours in an immersive role-playing game and you've already played Baldur's Gate II, give Icewind Dale a try.

PC? Mac? PC? Mac? You're Not Likely To Go Wrong (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/editorial/3347827.htm>

iMac Praised, But Not For Price (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-FEA-Hobbies-Compubug-iMacs-Nice.html>

=== internet news =============

Apple 'iBrowser' Insurgency Denied By AOL Techs (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25451.html>
We'd rate the likelihood of an Apple iBrowser as pretty outstandingly remote. Despite the sound technical and political advantages, it's a long-term commitment that only the brave would make.

Building Harmony Through The Internet (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3340119.htm>
Nothing can replace personal contact, and human nature isn't changing. But a medium -- or is it a place? -- that transcends the traditional limitations of time and space, enabling connections on an unprecedented scale, is fertile territory for innovation.

Shooting For The Stars (Shawn W. Crispin, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0205_30/p030innov.html>
Thailand's Shin Corp. is making a cosmic bet on a broadband satellite that will cover most of Asia. It's a bold move, one that could revolutionaize the satellite business. But something's missing: demand.

=== wintel top news =============

Microsoft Muddle (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A36187-2000Jun10&notFound=true>
What we have is good drama: ambitious prosecutorial power, arrogant corporate power and mediocre judicial power. What we don't have are sensible principles for governing a knowledge-based economy--or perhaps even a way of reaching them.

=== wintel news =============

Intel Cuts Pentium Prices (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9960682-0.html?tag=ats>
Intel slashed the price of Pentium 4 processors for desktops and notebooks over the weekend by up to 53 percent, an annual spring ritual designed to stimulate demand for its premier PC chip.

Gates Expects Windows Tablet PCs By October (Bloomberg)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000037283may27.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Bill Gates said he expected tablet-size personal computers using the Windows operating system to begin sellingin October as the company promotes new types of computers to boost slumping PC sales.

=== reader : tech =============

Why Won't We Read The Manual? (Caroline E. Mayer, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8275-2002May25.html>
And so it has come to this: Americans buy the most sophisticated computers, the coolest digital cameras, the most advanced automobiles, the most versatile cell phones and handheld organizers, and then... and then we forget, or decline, or flat out refuse, to read the directions.

Shooting For The Stars (Shawn W. Crispin, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0205_30/p030innov.html>
Thailand's Shin Corp. is making a cosmic bet on a broadband satellite that will cover most of Asia. It's a bold move, one that could revolutionaize the satellite business. But something's missing: demand.

Microsoft Muddle (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A36187-2000Jun10&notFound=true>
What we have is good drama: ambitious prosecutorial power, arrogant corporate power and mediocre judicial power. What we don't have are sensible principles for governing a knowledge-based economy--or perhaps even a way of reaching them.

=== reader : life =============

Up In The Air (Adam Gopnik, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?020603ta_talk_gopnik>
The strange thing is that this magician wasn't doing anything magical. He was just standing there.

Meet The Gamma Girls (Susannah Meadows, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/756950.asp?>
They're not mean. They like their parents. They're smart, confident and think popularity is overrated. What makes these teens tick.

L.A.'s Harbor Town Still Funky After All These Years (Mickey Ellinger, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/05/26/TR64717.DTL>
This is no cookie-cutter beach town. Military installations have become artists' studios and youth hostels; motorcycle clubs ride at sundown; visitors can eat local lobster and watch fishermen mending their nets. Part of the appeal is the grit showing through the polish.

Beware The Poet In The Windstorm (Kathleen Kelleher, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-lv-birds27_may27.story>
Is it possible to be happily married and stray? Or does such a thing happen only in the movies?

Eminem: You Just Have To Love The Guy. Sorry. (David Segal, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14748-2002May26.html>
Eminem isn't feeling the love. Oh, we've tried to give him the love, we really have.

Atlanta's Growing Thirst Creates Water War (Douglas Jehl, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/27/national/27RIVE.html>
Atlanta's dizzying growth is at the heart of a water rights dispute among Georgia, Alabama and Florida.

=== singapore news =============

Life Returns To Teck Whye With Bus 307 (Neo Hui Min, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,122366,00.html?>
The successful fight to restore the feeder bus service gives residents and shops there a new lease of life.

Esplanade's Grand Opening Will Give Boost To Economy (Alicia Yeo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,122351,00.html?>
tourist arrivals and foreign investors will benefit hotels and retailers and lead to more jobs for Singaporeans.

Bukit Merah Blast Is NOt A Gas Explosion: Singapore Power (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/index.htm#smoke>
"There is no gas inside. It's just only air."

Jalan Bukit Merah Fully Reopens To Traffic (Fiona Tan, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/9019/1/.html>
"At least they could have like closed the road or something, rather than just test it and having so much faith that it won't explode."

---