[MyAppleMenu] May 18, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 18 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple Driving Desktop DVD Market (Bruce Nazarian, Videography.com)
<http://www.videography.com/article/mainv/0,7220,35319,00.html>
With DVD now positioned as the "after-burner" to an existing video edit workflow, Apple completed the missing link in its "Shoot, Edit, Burn" mantra that has become its signature marketing phrase.

=== news =============

Assessing Apple's Enterprising Server gambit (Sharon Gaudin, Earthweb)
<http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/netsys/article/0,,11961_1140581,00.html>
Microsoft has knocked Apple and its Mac operating system far enough out of the enterprise arena that most IT executives won't even consider the Xserve.

Final Cut Pro Cooks For "Flavors Of America." (Nancy Eaton, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/05/flavors/>
The main ingredient in Anthony Burokas' recipe for success? Final Cut Pro.

Apple Puts Final Cut Pro Questionnaire (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/17/2222228>

=== opinions =============

Hey Apple: Please Keep It Simple! (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/index.htm#simple>
Empower the users, don't confuse them.

"I" Is For Irreplaceable (Dean Browell, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/alust/oped/skewed/archives/skewed_020517.shtml>
It's beginning to dawn on me that Apple carves such a niche for its users that it's hard to imagine doing without.

MSN Takes Jabs At Apple For Using AOL IM (Kelly McNeill, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17819.html>
Where does MSN get off taking jabs at Apple, of all companies, for its own lack of enough business skills to establish a partnership with America Online?

AOL: The Next Mac Cloner? (Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2002/20020517.shtml>

=== reviews =============

Palm Doesn't Play Well With Mac Or Windows (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/practicalmac/134456825_ptmacc18.html>
As fine as Palm's built-in tools are for putting one's life in order, the company has always been something of a disappointment in how well it can have its handheld talk to a Macintosh.

Apple eMac (Lori Grunin, CNET)
<http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-404-9807323.html?tag=st.co.14446.bhed.1018-404-9807323>

=== internet news =============

Napster Now Bertelsmann's Baby (Brad King, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,52626,00.html>
Two days after Napster closed its doors when a potential sale fell through, the company accepted a buyout offer from the Bertelsmann media conglomerate.

MSN Takes Jabs At Apple For Using AOL IM (Kelly McNeill, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17819.html>
Where does MSN get off taking jabs at Apple, of all companies, for its own lack of enough business skills to establish a partnership with America Online?

=== wintel top news =============

Judge Skeptical Of A Microsoft Remedy (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/18/technology/18SOFT.html>
The judge overseeing the Microsoft trial appeared highly skeptical today of a proposal made by nine states on how to enforce the tough antitrust restrictions they are seeking.

Microsoft Case On Hiatus (CNN/Money)
<http://money.cnn.com/2002/05/17/technology/microsoft/index.htm>
Following nine weeks of hearing, proceeding on hold until mid-June. Final decision expected in July.

=== wintel news =============

Assessing Apple's Enterprising Server gambit (Sharon Gaudin, Earthweb)
<http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/netsys/article/0,,11961_1140581,00.html>
Microsoft has knocked Apple and its Mac operating system far enough out of the enterprise arena that most IT executives won't even consider the Xserve.

Judge Warns Microsoft To Keep Promise To Comply With Antitrust Penalties (D. Ian Hopper, Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/washington/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?a0733_BC_Microsoft-Antitrust&&news&newsflash-washington>
"These are the kind of things that will come back to haunt you if you don't, because I have a memory of all these statements."

MSN Takes Jabs At Apple For Using AOL IM (Kelly McNeill, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17819.html>
Where does MSN get off taking jabs at Apple, of all companies, for its own lack of enough business skills to establish a partnership with America Online?

Microsoft Sees A Future For An Expanded Xbox (Brier Dudley, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134455927_xbox17.html>
Top executives from Microsoft have let it slip that they indeed have broader ambitions for the newly priced $199 device.

=== linux news =============

Embedded Linux Struggles With Standards (Matthew Broersma, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-917135.html>
The Linux operating system is set to become the de facto standard for "embedded" devices, but fragmentation could prove a stumbling block, according to Inder Singh, chairman of the Embedded Linux Consortium.

=== reader : tech =============

Some Language Experts Think Humans Spoke First With Gestures (Emily Eakin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/18/arts/18GEST.html>
Gestural theorists contend that long before early human spoke they jabbered away with their hands.

=== reader : life =============

The Man Who Retired (Bill Zehme, Esquire)
<http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2002/020429_mfe_carson.html>
Ten years ago, the king of late night went away for good, vanished. The Garbo of American comedy. But now, just one last time, here's Johnny.

Little Asia (Rona Marech, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/05/17/EB49066.DTL>
Mission San Jose, so named for the shrill white church that proudly sits at the base of the hills, is nothing like the suburbs of the American imagination. Rather, it's a welcoming global village in the middle of the burbs.

What If? (A.R. Torres, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2002/05/17/widow_speaks/index.html>
I used to ask myself what I could have done to save Eddie. Now I realize: I was asking the wrong person.

The Case For The Empire (Jonathan V. Last, The Weekly Standard)
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/248ipzbt.asp>
The truth is that from the beginning, Lucas confused the good guys with the bad. The deep lesson of Star Wars is that the Empire is good.

Art With Whine & Cheese (Natalie Hopkinson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35731-2002May17.html>
We all have our rituals. Popcorn and a movie. Cracker Jack and baseball. Wine and cheese at art openings. But now we might have to hold the wine.

The Weight Of An Anchor (Frank Rich, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/19/magazine/19ANCHOR.html>
In the twilight of Brokaw, Jennings and Rather, it is not at all clear that the nightly news program is history. Why network news still matters.

Bush Whacked (Rachel Johnson, The Spectator)
<http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2002-05-18&id=1872>
Why so many women are going all the way and saying no to pubic hair.

=== singapore top news =============

Guess Who's Reading Your Personal Data Today? (Susan Long, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,120435,00.html?>
Hasthe line between legitimate dissemination of private information and invasion of privacy been crossed?

Night Road Pricing Likely By Year-End (Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,120393,00.html?>
CTE could be first once technical details are sorted; move in line with efforts to cut ownership costs, raise usage charges.

=== singapore news =============

2003 Master Plan To Ensure Areas' Identity Not Eroded By Development (Hwee Goh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/8345/1/.html>
Announcing this, National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan it is a recognition that familiar places play a vital part in what Singaporeans see as home.

HDB To Do Away With Registration For Flats In Favour Of Build-To-Order (Hwee Goh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/8344/1/.html>
The HDB will built flats where people want to live, instead having them queue for homes by generic zones.

Singapore And Malaysia To Try Smooth Ties In July (Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=AEHAW5PJSP0MSCRBAEKSFEYKEEATIIWD?type=topnews&StoryID=978944>
Singapore's Foreign Minister S. Jayakumar will hold talk swith his counterpart Syed Hamid Albar on July 1 and 2 in the Malaysian capital.

---