[MyAppleMenu] May 14, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 14 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple Serves Up Rack-Mountable Server (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-913107.html?tag=cd_mh>
Although Xserve are aimed at environments where Macs are plentiful, it is also designed to be a good server for common business-computing tasks such as handling Windows files, e-mail and Web pages.

Apple 'Bundle' Creates A Rumble (Farhad Manjoo, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,52452,00.html>
Apple's new instant-messaging client, iChat, received mixed reviews when it was announced last week. Is Apple fostering the same type of forced bundling that helped get Microsfot in so much trouble?

Macworld Expo NY: Details Revealed (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4651>
Show orgnaiser IDG World Expo expects several first-time exhibitors for this year's event.

=== news =============

Q&A With Kevin Browne (Philip Michaels, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/06/macbeat/browne.html>
Microsoft and Kevin Browne have big plans for the Mac platform -- even as the software giant's five-year technology pact with Apple expires this summer.

GraphicConverter v4.4 Updated Today For Mac OS X (OSXFAQ)
<http://www.osxfaq.com/Press/05-14-02/con-05-14-02.ws>

Stronghold: Building Castles With The Strengh Of Mac OS X (Brad Cook, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/games/articles/2002/05/stronghold/>
"[Stronghold] is just tough enough to keep [you] engaged without becoming overly frustrating."

Major Player Give Nod To Xserve (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/index.shtml#020514-xreact>

"Humble" Jobs Launches Apple Server (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/25278.html>
Apple has brought is customary attention to detail, and ease of use featuers to its first rack mount server.

AOL Plans To Unveil New Mac Software (Gene Steinberg, Gannett News Service)
<http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0514aol14.html>
AOL hopes to release its new Mac version this summer, and will be compatible with the next version of Mac OS X, code-named Jaguar.

QuickTime Streaming Server Gets 'Well-Connected' Awards (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/14.qtss.php>
Pitted against RealNetworks' RealSystem IQ and Microsoft's Windows Media Services, QuickTime Streaming Server won the award for Streaming Media Server.

Newer Technology Making A Comeback (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/index.shtml#020514-newer>

Maine School Laptop Program Earns Mention In National Survey (Associated Press)
<http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.html?ID=56858&byline=&cname=Statewide&section=Elsewhere&tt=3PM>
"Maine's experiment in wireless education may provide answers to the question of how well universal access to the Internet aids student learning."

Apple CFO Planned To Sell $3.8 Million Of Stock (Reuters)
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2002/05/13/rtr600301.html>
Anderson's filing was the latest from the finance chief, who has been at Apple for five years.

Apple To Plant Enterprise Seed (Matt Berger, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/05/13/020513hnapple.xml>
Long anticipated by Mac enthusaiasts, analysts this week said they expect the server to be an important addition to Apple's product line.

nVidia GeForce 4 Ti Cards Begin To Ship (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14173>
Apple has begun shipping nVidia GeForce 4 Titanium AGP video cards to customers.

VersionTracker Adds A Subscription Service (Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/2002/05/13.html#a1286>

=== opinions =============

Jaguar Or Jackalope? (Michael Swaine, Dr. Dobb's Journal)
<http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=2312/ddj1021319599043/0205fc001.htm>
I don't really have to have the product to review it.

What Else Is There? The Future Of Apple Looks Bright Indeed (John Manzione, MacNETv2)
<http://www.macnet2.com/index.php?itemid=121>

=== reviews =============

Is It The Perfect 10 For Mac? (Graham K. Rogers, Bangkok Post)
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/15May2002_datacol25.html>
The pros and cons of Apple's OS X.

Excel v.X (Chris McVeigh, MacHome)
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/Action.Lasso?-Database=reviewsDB&-layout=search&-response=display.lasso&-recordID=34524&-search>
Although it offers few significant new features, Excel v.X is a solid performer. It provides full compatibility with Mac OS X, and for many, that's reason enough to upgrade.

On Virtual Safari (Larry Blasko, Associated Press)
<http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/400659p-3189693c.html>
Animals often fascinate the preschool set, and Knowledge Adventures' new title "Jump Start Animal Adventure" is a nice alternative to dragging a toddler around the local zoo.

A Few Comments On iPhoto 1.1.1 (Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/2002/05/13.html#a1285>
There are definitely a few things that could be addressed to make iPhoto work even better.

=== internet top news =============

New Fines Threat Over Tax Returns (Sarah Toyne, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1975000/1975504.stm>
Companies and individuals could face fines of up to &pound;3,000 if they fail to file their tax returns via the internet under measures proposed.

Caught In A Web Site Snafu (Christine Chinlund, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/133/oped/Caught_in_a_Web_site_snafu+.shtml>
The issue is not the vigilance of one reporter but the need for newsroom procedures to keep pace with the online revolution.

=== internet news =============

AOL Plans To Unveil New Mac Software (Gene Steinberg, Gannett News Service)
<http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0514aol14.html>
AOL hopes to release its new Mac version this summer, and will be compatible with the next version of Mac OS X, code-named Jaguar.

Maine School Laptop Program Earns Mention In National Survey (Associated Press)
<http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.html?ID=56858&byline=&cname=Statewide&section=Elsewhere&tt=3PM>
"Maine's experiment in wireless education may provide answers to the question of how well universal access to the Internet aids student learning."

Microsoft Monopoly: Does E-Commerce Really Care? (Lou Hirsh, EcommerceTimes.com)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17718.html>
Microsoft is squaring off not only against its traditional rivals, but also against dozens of smaller, specialized software companies with established niches in the e-commerce sector.

RealNames Goes Down (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/dan_gillmor/ejournal/3255740.htm>
I can't decide whether the demise of RealNames is a lesson in the perils of "partnering" with Microsoft or a demonstration of technological obsolesence, or both.

=== wintel news =============

Q&A With Kevin Browne (Philip Michaels, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/06/macbeat/browne.html>
Microsoft and Kevin Browne have big plans for the Mac platform -- even as the software giant's five-year technology pact with Apple expires this summer.

Microsoft Ploy To Block Sun Exposed (Wylie Wong, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-912906.html>
Microsoft executives apparently attempted to steer the direction of a Web services standards body away from rival Sun, according to evidence and testmony introduced during the software giant's ongoing antitrust trial.

How Microsoft Went After Linux (Reuters)
<http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,52520,00.html>
A Microsoft executive urged the company to quietly retaliate against supporters of the rival Linux operating system in an August 2000 memo that nine states still suing the software giant want admitted as evidence.

Is HP Low-Balling Job Losses? (Andrew Colley and Viviene Fisher, ZDNet Australia)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-912155.html>
U.S.-based IT industry analyst Giga Information Group believes job losses resulting from the merger of Hewlett Packard and Compaq have been underestimated greatly.

Hewlett-Packard And Dell Results To Reflect Tech Downturn (Reuters)
<http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-tech-computers.html?ex=1022040000&en=46ba86bb723426e8&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER>
Weak corporate spending is expected to take its toll when HP and Dell report quarterly results later this week, although HP's bottom line should benefit from cost-cutting ahead of buying Compaq.

Companies Cringe At Microsoft Licensing (Byron Acohido, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/05/13/microsoft-upgrade.htm>
Fierce resistance is brewing to Microsoft's new software licensing program for businesses.

Microsoft Monopoly: Does E-Commerce Really Care? (Lou Hirsh, EcommerceTimes.com)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17718.html>
Microsoft is squaring off not only against its traditional rivals, but also against dozens of smaller, specialized software companies with established niches in the e-commerce sector.

RealNames Goes Down (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/dan_gillmor/ejournal/3255740.htm>
I can't decide whether the demise of RealNames is a lesson in the perils of "partnering" with Microsoft or a demonstration of technological obsolesence, or both.

Dell Projection Is Pro Projectors (John G Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9888895-0.html?tag=ats>
Dell Computer announced Monday that it has begun selling anew portable projector that can be paired with its notebook PCs.

=== linux top news =============

How Microsoft Went After Linux (Reuters)
<http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,52520,00.html>
A Microsoft executive urged the company to quietly retaliate against supporters of the rival Linux operating system in an August 2000 memo that nine states still suing the software giant want admitted as evidence.

=== linux news =============

Solaris Takes A Shine To Linux (Stephan Shankland, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-912687.html>
Sun is working hard to ensure that Linux and Solaris play well together.

=== reader : tech =============

What's In Those Nuggets? Meat Substitute Stirs Debate (Denise Grady, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/14/health/14FUNG.html>
Quorn, a meat substitute based on a fungus has taken Europe by storm and its manufacturer claims health benefits for it. Scientists aren't so sure.

=== reader : life =============

Prep--School Novelist (Dana Goodyear, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?020520ta_talk_goodyear>
A young first novelist meets his new peers.

Steam Cleaning (Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Movies-X!ArticleDetail-59076,00.html>
When it comes to sex, filmmaking is in an era that some call flat-out prudish. But a vanishing breed of directors is keeping the sin in cinema.

"24": Split Screen's Big Comeback (Julie Talen, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2002/05/14/24_split/index.html>
>From Fox's "24" to Destiny's Child videos to Hollywood, the splintered aesthetic of multichannel storytelling -- once the province of the '60s avant-garde -- is suddenly everywhere.

Superhero Nation (James Poniewozik, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020520/hero.html>
The new, sensitive incarnation of the Webbed Wonder reminds us how America likes its superheroes: human.

High Time (Jerry Adler, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/750420.asp>
Despite the attacks on the World trade Center, buildings are reaching for the sky -- at least in Asia and Europe. The trend is leaving U.S. developers in the lobby.

Choking At The Bowl (Bryan Curtis, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2065670>
Why do men have trouble urinating at ballparks?

Columnist Andrew Sullivan Bites Paper; Paper Bites Back (Howard Kurtz, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11293-2002May13.html>
Andrew Sullivan, the confrontational conservative columnist, has been attempting the high-wire act of writing for the New York Times while frequently whacking the Times for liberal bias on his Web site. Now the tightrope has snapped.

An Industry Insider's Gloomy Book Report (Linton Weeks, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11311-2002May13.html>
The publishing industry, Michael Cader says, " is in a mathematical death spiral."

A 'Lucky Man' Puts His Celebrity To Work (Mary Duenwald, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/14/health/14CONV.html>
Michael J. Fox talks about his Parkinson's disease and the foundation he started to help find cures and treatments.

=== reader : expressions =============

Song After Lilith (Karren Lalonde Alenier, Poetry Magazine)
<http://www.poetrymagazine.com/archives/2002/May2002/alenier.htm>

=== singapore top news =============

'Revenue Conclusion Was Mistaken' - Mr Lee Hsien Loong (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,119849,00.html?>
"So if you want to ponder the alternatives, even if you are not sure, I think we make this fundamental move now."

'There's No Need To Raise GST' - Mr Tan Soon Khoon (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,119871,00.html?>
"The government should not be waving the red flag, otherwise it will end up like the boy who cried wolf and nobody is going to believe you after a while."

CPF Changs To Be Announced In June (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,119730,00.html?>
"The idea is not to overhaul what's working, but to make improvements in the long term that are in the interest of all Singaporeans."

=== singapore news =============

Singing To A New Tune (Samuel Lee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,119758,00.html?>
Singaporean church minister Ho Yeow-Sun says that she looked wilder before she was repackaged to be a Mandarin pop star.

Fancy A Home-Office Atop The Singapore River MRT Station? (Valdimir Guevarra, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,119857,00.html?>
The concept of the home office got another boost yesterday after developer Far East Organization revealed it was offering this type of residence in Central, its landmark project being constructed on top of the upcoming Singapore River MRT Station.

GST 'Pill' Comes With Sweetener, Government Won't Delay (Tan Tarn How, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,119800,00.html?>
Standing firm against calls to postpone hike, DPM Lee says government has no plans for a further increase in the next five years.

Port Of Singapore Faces New Rival (Alison Gee, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1986000/1986486.stm>
"Competition is not new to PSA - perhaps what is new is this time round it is probably closer to home."

SingTel To Spin Off Its Postal Unit (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,44954,00.html?>
SingTel said today it plans to spin off its wholly-owned postal services unit, a move analysts say could raise as much as $1 billion.

Singapore To Build Labs To Fight Disease, Bioterror (Reuters)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=594&ncid=751&e=10&u=/nm/20020513/hl_nm/singapore_labs_1>

---