[MyAppleMenu] May 9, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 9 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Jaguar Preview Is Stunning (Daniel H. Steinberg, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/05/09/wwdc_overview.html>
Except for the keynote, all of the sessions are covered by a NDA that attendees sign when they join the Apple Developer Connection. Fortunately, there was quite a bit of news in the keynote.

Mac Attacks PC Users (Tim Bajarin, ABCNews.com)
<http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/SILICON_INSIGHTS_BAJARIN_020509.html>
It is clear that Apple has gotten the attention of many die-hard PC owners and is using this new software to effectively show off the Mac platform's real virtues.

Macs' Last Stand On Capitol Hill (Mark Baard, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,52175,00.html>
Macintosh computers have been almost completely banished from Capitol Hill. But one system admin is making a lonely last stand.

=== news =============

Watson Development To Continue, Says Developer (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/09.watson.php>
"We see no reason not to continue development, especially basing any decisions on software from other companies that hasn't been released."

Apple Supports Home Schooling (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/09/1955242>

Survey: Apple Used By 23 Percent Of TV/Broadcast Firms (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/09.survey.php>

Apple Design Award Winners Announced (Ron Carlson, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=390>
Toon Boom Studio 1.1 took the "Best New Mac OS X Product" and Watson 1.5 was picked for the "Most Innovative Mac OS X Product" award.

Ushering In A New Breed Of Music Video-Makers (Steven Patrick, The Star)
<http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2002/5/8/technology/07app&sec=technology>
Thanks to information technology, filmmakers no longer need access to millions of ringgit worth of equipment – all they need are the right ideas, a digital videocam and some software.

Mounting Speculation About New Apple Device (MacUser)
<http://www.macuser.co.uk/macsurfer/php3/openframe.php3?page=/newnews/newsarticle.php3?id=1985>
Speculation is growing that Apple's 14 May announcement of new rack-mounted servers may well be a smokescreen for the unveiling of a brand new product.

Apple Releases Bluetooth Preview 2 Software (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/09.bluetooth.php>
The new version featuers the ability to pair with devices other than phones.

>From Symantec, Security Tools For Online Users Of Mac OS X (Joe Hutsko, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/09/technology/circuits/09GEE2.html?tntemail0>

PDA Evolution: Newton To Now (Jay Staton, AnywhereYouGo.com)
<http://www.anywhereyougo.com/scrape01/Article.po?type=Article_Archives&page=5617418>
Why did the Newton fail? How did we end up with our current crop of handheld devices?

Apple Developers Conference Gives Rare Peek At Future (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/technology/personal_technology/3225849.htm>
When one of the most secretive companies in Silicon Valley starts dropping hints, the ears of geeks everywhere perk up.

Pixar's "Monster" Payoff Continues (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-903321.html>
Pixar Animation Studios reported Wednesday a fiscal first-quarter profit well above expectations as hit movie "Monsters, Inc." fueled a surge in revenue.

AAPL Soars In Broad Market Rally (Robert Paul Leitao, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2002/05/08.1.shtml>

=== opinions =============

Why Linux Instead Of OS X? (Jason Walsh, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/ppclinux/02/0509.html>

Apple Keeps Its iChat Promise (Race Meider, Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=1153>
It may have taken a while, but finally here.

Will Jaguar Be A Free Upgrade For Current OS X Users? (Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/2002/05/08.html#a1254>

=== reviews =============

Berners-Lee: Keep The Web Royalty-Free (Edd Dumbill, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1390>
Tim Berners-Lee made a strong appeal for the development of the web to continue unencumbered by patent royalties.

Quicken 2002 Deluxe (MacReview)
<http://www.macreview.com/Productive/PersonalFinance/Quicken/Quicken2002.html>

Mozilla Gets Browsing Just Right (Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/lab/02/0509.html>
When's the last time you installed a program that made you smile because it was just right.

Inside Virtual PC 5.0 (Rene Murad, Mac Help Net)
<http://www.machelpnet.com/articles/020509vpc.html>
So, should you buy it? In a word, sure!

Latest iPod Model Shakes, Rattles And Rolls (Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy07.html>
For all of the iPod's megahypersuperginchiness, it's still a Mac-only product. This would be a fine opportunity for me to trumpet another player as "the iPod of the Windows world," but, whoops, there isn't one.

Nomad Jukebox 3: Why It's Better Than Apple's iPod (Janice Chen, CNET)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2864600,00.html>
While you might have to sacrifice sleek design and the iPod's slicker navigation, you'll save a bundle opting for the Nomad 3.

=== internet news =============

Mozilla Gets Browsing Just Right (Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/lab/02/0509.html>
When's the last time you installed a program that made you smile because it was just right.

Some MSN Messenger Versions Vulnerable To Hackers (Luis Cabrera, Associated Press)
<http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/395826p-3150192c.html>
Users of the latest versions of Microsoft's popular MSN Messenger program are vulnerable to computer hackers, the company warned on Wednesday.

Becoming A .Pro Has Its Price (Lisa M. Bowman, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-902553.html>
The company in charge of registering new domain names for professionals was given the green light Wednesday, but doctors, lawyers and accountants will have to pay a premium for the .pro privilege.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft: Server Upgrades Coming Soon (Ben Heskett, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-904392.html>
Microsoft executives on Thursday confirmed plans to deliver a new set of server operating systems--already twice delayed--by the end of this year.

Microsoft's File-Share Rule Makes Waves (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-904017.html>
Microsoft has opened a new chapter in its long-running dispute with open-source software developers--and it could have antitrust implications.

Microsoft Witness Recants Some Testimony (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-904122.html>
An economist testifying on behalf of Microsoft on Thursday had to recant his charge that strict antitrust sanctions sought by nine states against Microsoft were developed by its competitors.

Some MSN Messenger Versions Vulnerable To Hackers (Luis Cabrera, Associated Press)
<http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/395826p-3150192c.html>
Users of the latest versions of Microsoft's popular MSN Messenger program are vulnerable to computer hackers, the company warned on Wednesday.

Microsoft's Troubling Lessons For Schools (Jason Brooks, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=706&a=26567,00.asp>
So, in the spirit of software that's flexible and free of hardware-specific entanglements, I'd suggest that schools install Linux on their machines.

Judging XP - Modular Myth Or Mandate? (John Campbell, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17661.html>
If Bach can successfully build a modular version of Windows, it seems logical that Microsoft's legion of software developers should be able to perfect it with little effort.

=== linux news =============

Microsoft's File-Share Rule Makes Waves (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-904017.html>
Microsoft has opened a new chapter in its long-running dispute with open-source software developers--and it could have antitrust implications.

Why Linux Instead Of OS X? (Jason Walsh, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/ppclinux/02/0509.html>

Microsoft's Troubling Lessons For Schools (Jason Brooks, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=706&a=26567,00.asp>
So, in the spirit of software that's flexible and free of hardware-specific entanglements, I'd suggest that schools install Linux on their machines.

=== reader : world =============

Two Cheers For Colonialism (Dinesh D'Souza, Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i35/35b00701.htm>
Colonialism, I freely acknowledge, was a harsh regime for those who lived under it. My grandfather would have a hard time giving even one cheer for colonialism. As for me, I cannot manage three, but I am quite willing to grant two.

=== reader : tech =============

A Visual Rather Than Verbal Future (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56499-2002May8.html>
With all due respect to fellow computing gurus around the world, the University of Maryland's Ben Shneiderman doesn't think speech will ever become the main way people communicate with computers. He's convinced our eyes will do better than our voices at helping us control the digital machinery of the 21st century.

Streaming Onto The Movie Screen, With Nary A Scratch (Karen J. Bannan, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/09/technology/circuits/09HOWW.html>
Today there is a technology that can bring near-perfect movie quality to theaters everywhere: digital projectors.

=== reader : life =============

Silly Ideas (Louis Menand, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?020513ta_talk_menand>
We don't tell people they can't vote because they keep choosing losing candidates. Democracy requires full partiicpation. Knowledge is the same.

He Totally Got It (Reed Johnson, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-050902chiat.story>
Ad man Jay Chiat spoofed and celebrated pop culture with a hip, West Coast style.

The Art Of Office E-Mail War (David Miller, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/05/09/corporate_e_mail/index.html?x>
They don't call it a "killer app" for nothing. E-mail is corporate culture's favorite new weapon.

Top Ten New Copyright Crimes (Ernest Miller, LawMeme)
<http://research.yale.edu/lawmeme/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=198>
Watching PBS without making a donation. You know who you are, you cheap...

Driving Miss Tallulah (Michael Lewis, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2065480>
A daughter resists the back seat.

New Yorker, American (Robert A. George, National Review Online)
<http://www.nationalreview.com/george/george050702.asp>
The character is celebrating its 40th anniversary, but like any true archetypal hero, he always shows up just the right time with the right message.

Our Past, Cobwebs And All (Blake Gopnik, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56383-2002May8.html>
Bless this mess of a museum. It's the stuff of history.

Steak Endures In Argentina's Lean Time (R. W. Apple Jr., New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/08/dining/08ARGE.html>
Times are hard in Argentina, but parts of Buenos Aires, which used to style itself "the Paris of Latin America," still twinkle like the City of Light.

Clearing Things Up (Sara Kelly, Philadelphia Weekly)
<http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/article.asp?ArtID=2234>
Third-time novelist Steve Lopez left his heart in Philly.

=== singapore news =============

Raffles Grill Entices With New Menu (Cheah Ui-Hoon, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,2276,44519,00.html?>
The rather plain-speaking menu of the past five years has given way to French embellishments.

More Singaporeans Entering Porn Sites, Staying Longer (Krist Boo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,118918,00.html?>
Professionals outnumber students, making up half of the 2,200 hooked on cybersex here, a survey found.

What Price Culture? (Tan Shzr Ee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,118804,00.html?>
The arts are now officially recognised for their investment potential and economic contributions.

Full UOB And OUB Integration By June 17 (Hugh Chow, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,118836,00.html?>
Some issues over the information technology systems had yet to be resolved.

Singapore Denies Banning Veggies (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/5/9/nation/sinvege&sec=nation>
Reports of the alleged import ban in <i>Berita Harian</i> were untrue.

---