[MyAppleMenu] May 6, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 6 21:05:02 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Jobs: Mac OS 9, Rest In Peace (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-899914.html?tag=cd_mh>
While delivering an elegy for Mac OS 9, Steve Jobs promised Monday that Apple would ship the next major upgrade to OS X -- including handwriting recognition -- by the end of the summer.

Why Have I Bought My Last Windows-Based Computer? (Thomas Vanderwal, Vanderwal.net)
<http://www.vanderwal.net/random/entrysel.php?blog=682>
My future is mine and not Microsoft's.

=== news =============

Apple Announces First Rack Servers, P2P, Chat, Web Services (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25166.html>
A glimpse of a silver case was all we saw of this, which for the first time brings Apple consumer design talents to the most utilitarian of backroom computers: the rack.

Apple's Bluetooth Move: Genius Or Folly? (Lou Hirsh, WirelessNewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17591.html>
Experts say Apple's presence, combined with a recent commitment by Microsoft, could give Bluetooth a long-awaited push into the mainstream.

O'Reilly Announces OS X Products, Conferences (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/06.oreilly.php>

=== opinions =============

Should Apple Keep The eMac At School? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/index.htm#emac>
When you look at the specs, there is nothing that would make it exclusive to educational use.

Apple Covering WWDC With Non-Disclosure Agreement (WhyTheMacIsSoGreat.com)
<http://www.whythemacissogreat.com/globalmacnews/americas/us/>
Apple is covering the entire WWDC, with a few exceptions, notably the Keynote, with its Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement.

Obsolete Two Year Old Computers (Andrew W. Hill, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/hill/02/0506.html>
In the end, there is too much paperwork that costs too much money.

=== reviews =============

Mac Users Need More Button For Their Buck (Charles Wright, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/05/04/1019441450939.html>
We think Macintosh users can handle a second mouse button. There, we've said it.

Avernum 2 (Christopher Morin, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=255>
Comparing Avernum 2, a shareware game, to the likes of Baldur's Gate 2 or other successful, big budget RPG games in inherently unfair; but let it be known that Avernum 2 holds its own against those titles.

Radeon 7000 Mac Edition (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/06.radeon7000.php>
At $125 or so and with a modest trade-in rebate available from ATI, the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition is definitely a wise investment if you wish to get a bit more life out of your older Mac.

Root As Primary Login: Why Not? (Slashdot)
<http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/06/0348213&mode=flat&tid=179>

=== internet top news =============

Access To Free Online Music Is Seen As A Boost To Sales (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/06/technology/06MUSI.html>
Disputing the position of the record companies, a new report has found that people who use file-sharing networks to obtain music over the Internet are likely to increase their spending on music.

=== wintel top news =============

Dell's Notebook: Small Things Considered (John G Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-899840.html?tag=cd_mh>
Dell is going smaller than it ever has with a new mini-notebook it launched Monday. THe Latitude mini-notebook features a 12.1-inch screen, but weighs only 2.8 pounds and is just under an inch thick.

Why Do Developers Choose One Programming Language Over Another For A Given Task? (Joel Spolsky, Joel On Software)
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/news/20020505.html>
It seems like .NET gives us a "choice" of languages precisely where we couldn't care less about it -- in the syntax.

=== wintel news =============

MS, Rival Fight Over 'Real' Truth (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,52336,00.html>
"The IE6 media bar is an integrated feature of IE6 that provides user value. As such, it is not replaceable by third parties."

Windows Exec Downplays XP Changes (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-900213.html?tag=cd_mh>
A Microsoft executive told a federal court on Monday that he could not recall any changes the company had made to the multimedia eatures in the latest version of Windows, despite a stinging antitrust ruling against the company two years ago.

Intel CEO Says No Change To Second Quarter Outlook (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9842957-0.html?tag=ats>
Expectations that second-quarter revenues would be flat had not changed despite signs of an improving American economy.

Why Have I Bought My Last Windows-Based Computer? (Thomas Vanderwal, Vanderwal.net)
<http://www.vanderwal.net/random/entrysel.php?blog=682>
My future is mine and not Microsoft's.

=== linux news =============

Red Hat Releases 7.3 (Slashdot)
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/06/1316206>
Press release doesn't contain any surprises.

=== reader : world =============

The Legal Battlefield (Brendan Miniter, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/bminiter/?id=110001669>
Will America lose the war on a technicality?

=== reader : tech =============

Paranoia, Stupidity And Greed Ganging Up On The Public (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/3200101.htm>
If you are reading this column in the newspaper, but did not read every article and look at every advertisement in previous sections, stop now. You must go back and look at all of that material before continuing with this column.

Playing Games With Free Speech (Wagner James Au, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/05/06/games_as_speech/index.html?x>
A federal judge says computer games don't deserve First Amendment protection. His decision is wrong, stupid and dangerous.

Access To Free Online Music Is Seen As A Boost To Sales (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/06/technology/06MUSI.html>
Disputing the position of the record companies, a new report has found that people who use file-sharing networks to obtain music over the Internet are likely to increase their spending on music.

=== reader : life =============

What's Wrong With Being A Nice Guy? Plenty, According To A Local Therapist (Cecelia Goodnow, Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/68913_niceguy03.shtml>
The end result is that a lot of male baby boomers and Gen-Xers grew up adopting a "female perspective on masculinity."

The 70's Are So 90's. The 80's Are The Thing Now. (Simon Reynolds, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/05/arts/music/05REYN.html>
Pop cult revivals tend to arrive punctually after roughly 20 years, and the 80's ar ejust far enough away now to acquire the charm of remoteness.

Who's Ugly Now? (Mark Steyn, The Spectator)
<http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2002-05-04&id=1824>
Americans are more compassionate and law-abiding than violent and cynical Europeans.

Fight For Prime Times Bad For TV (Tim Goodman, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/05/06/DD236135.DTL>
It's all about counterprogramming, which is a fancy way of saying each network is trying to stick it to the others. We suffer the results.

A Narrator Leaps Past Journalism (Vivian Gornick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/06/books/06GORN.html>
When I was writing a memoir, I discovered I needed a narrator who was me and at the same time not me.

Is Deceptive Portrait Tied To Shakespeare? (Alan Riding, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/06/arts/design/06PORT.html>
Research findings about an Elizabethan portrait has reawakened speculation over the possible bisexuality of William Shakespeare.

=== singapore top news =============

Pro-Business Panel Wants Big Changes In Rules (William Choong, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,118240,00.html?>
It wants government to state only what's not permitted, and to allow everything else, with 'expiry dates' set for all rules.

=== singapore news =============

CPF To Be Allowed As Risk Capital? (Chuang Peck Ming, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,44122,00.html?>
A proposal to allow top CPF contributors to withdraw part of their CPF moneyt o finance entrepreneurial ventures is likely to be the latest idea to spark controversy.

Change Mindset, Not 'Social Worker' (Hayley Chau, Singapore Association of Social Workers, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,118237,00.html?>
If the professional title 'social worker' works well in other countries, why has it failed to do the same in Singapore?

Pilots Will Return To Taiwan For Hearing (Dominic Nathan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,118239,00.html?>
The pilots of SQ 006 will return to Taipei to attend a hearing tomorrow that could decide if they will be prosecuted.

>From Singapore, Dating Dos And Don'ts (Voice Of America)
<http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=A01F85E8-6A0E-45F4-8D9BAB918AE9C64A&Title=From%20Singapore%2C%20Dating%20Dos%20and%20Don%27ts&CatOID=45C9C78B-88AD-11D4-A57200A0CC5EE46C>
Singapore's government is giving clueless singles a dating manual that offers tips for young poeple on planning a perfect date.

Malaysia Hopes To Start New Talks With Singapore (Faridah Begum, The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/5/6/nation/fbsing&sec=nation>
"Malaysia is interested to resolve the issues and this cannot be delayed for goo dbilateral relations."

Singaporean Sets Record With North Pole Conquest (Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=FVYXEVE5TN5XCCRBAE0CFEYKEEATGIWD?type=topnews&StoryID=920545>
Khoo Swee Chiow reached the North Pole on Monday, becoming the first person from SOutheast Asia and only the fourth in the world to conquer the highest peaks across seven continents and the two poles.

---