[MyAppleMenu] May 1, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 1 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

eMac Evokes Price Shock For Students (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-896568.html?legacy=cnet&tag=pt.mrktwtch.story.alrt.9823193>
Some college students eager to snap up the new eMac were surprised when they tried to buy one this week from Apple's online store. The price is $50 more than announced.

Apple: When Good Things Happen By Accident (Stephan Somogyi, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2863356,00.html>
Apple does a lot of stuff right. What's interesting to me is how often that right stuff has unintended positive consequences.

Apple Sues Sorenson To End License To QuickTime Rival (Pham-Duy Nguyen, Bloomberg)
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?T=marketsquote99_news.ht&s=APM76bhYYQXBwbGUg>
Apple is suing Sorenson, a company that makes software used in Apple's QuickTime product, to block it from licensing similar software to rival Macromedia.

=== news =============

Apple Exec Promises More Depth At This Year's WWDC (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/01.apple.php>
WWDC will see a focus on technologies at the heart of Mac OS X.

CodeWarrior 8 For Mac OS X Available For Pre-Order (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/01/1948220>

Microsoft Brings MSN To The Mac Market (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-896236.html>
Microsoft has quietly introduced MSN Internet Access for the Mac to customers in the 14 states that get local phone service through Qwest Communications International.

Sorenson: We Hope To Settle Lawsuit Out Of Court (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/01.sorenson.php>
"We think we can settle our disagreements in an amicable way and continue our great relationship going forward."

Apple Counts On Stores To Boost Sales (Deborah Adamson, CBS MarketWatch)
<http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?g=BC7AAC8CEFD64B5E9B4D50A1F97A5166>
Even with an incredibly strong brand, hordes of cult-like fans and a charismatic leader who has brought the company back from the brink, the stock has proved to be a long-term dud.

imac Supply Issues Linger For Apple (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17525.html>
While some resellers have been able to maintain a full stock of the extremely popular system, others are struggling to meet customer demand.

eMac Sound System Details Unveiled (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/01.tripath.php>
Tripath developed the digital audio amplifier used in the new education-only system.

Apple Store Opens In Atlanta On May 11 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/01.lenox.php>
Lenox Square is the first Apple Store to open in the state of Georgia.

Apple Offers Refurbished iMac G4s, iPods At Apple Store (Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/05/01.4.shtml>

Apple Quietly Releases iPhoto 1.1 (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13974>

USB 2.0 Will Juice Up Personal Computers (Stephen Williams, Newsday)
<http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-pigear2688918apr30.column?coll=ny%2Dnews%2Dcolumnists>
The reins of power are pssing, from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. And it certainly forces the question everyone's asking: What's the fate of FireWire?

Wolfenstein Hits The Mac (Gamespot)
<http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2863386,00.html>

Sculpting With Video (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/04/fuchs/>
"With my sculpture and the Power Mac G4, I have the ability to create a metaphorical time/space event for the viewer. It's a dialog between the ancient and the contemporary."

Sorenson Responds To Apple Lawsuit (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13970>
Sorenson believes the lawsuit is "without merit, and if necessary, intends to mount a vigorous defense against the allegations."

Resellers Quick To Offer Bundles With The New PowerBook G4 (DVI) (PowerBookCentral.com)
<http://www.powerbookcentral.com/daily/viewnews.cgi?newsid1020183490,20177,>

Mac OS X: The Case For Carbon (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17512.html>
Apple has been slow to promote the advantages of Cocoa, instead touting Carbon as a switft development route with little re-coding required.

=== opinions =============

Left Behind, The New Computer Game (Stephen Van Esch, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/scope/02/0501.html>
This isn't the first time that I said, "If I had known," nor will it be the last.

Are We Living In Wingapore? (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/wingapore.html>
We should not be treated as a second-class citizens due to our choice of platform, especially when its the better one.

Apple's Hot For Teacher (Matthew Rothenberg, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=25201&a=26214,00.asp>
All this and WWDC, too?

Apple Harvests The Fruits Of Innovation (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2002/tc2002051_3757.htm>
While PC saltes stagnate, Jobs & Co.'s latest wares leap off the shelves. The reason? Computers that are much more than mere appliances.

=== reviews =============

The ThinkFree Alternative (Daniel H. Steinberg, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/04/30/thinkfree.html>
Although ThinkFree still has some issues to work out, it can be the right choice in many situations.

TiBook Value: New Vs. Old (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/ibook/02/0430.html>
If you've long wanted portability but needed lots of horsepower or screen real estate, the new TiBook provides both in spades at a very realistic price.

=== internet news =============

Microsoft Brings MSN To The Mac Market (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-896236.html>
Microsoft has quietly introduced MSN Internet Access for the Mac to customers in the 14 states that get local phone service through Qwest Communications International.

Interview With Evan Williams, Blogger (Jim Cashel, Online Community Report)
<http://www.onlinecommunityreport.com/features/blogs>
We asked Evan Williams, President of Pyra Labs about the most important trends.

Flaws Uncovered In Netscape, Mozilla (Brian Morrissey, Internet.com)
<http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article/0,,10_1025541,00.html>
A component for retrieving XML documents from a Web server can be used to read local files by blindly following server-side redirections.

Microsoft Drives The Message Home To Aussies (Andrew Colley, ZDNet Australia)
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000024981,20264916,00.htm>
The adoption of Instant Messaging in Australian workplaces is growing rapidly and Microsoft is leading the charge.

=== wintel top news =============

Error May Help Microsoft (Jonathan Krim, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11331-2002Apr30.html>
Some potentially damaging documents that state prosecutors have gathered in the Microsoft antitrust case might not be allowed into evidence, the result of missteps by the states' legal team.

=== wintel news =============

MIT Prof: Don't Cripple Windows (Reuters)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-896281.html>
An MIT professor on Wednesday criticized antitrust sanctions sought by nine states against Microsoft, telling a federal judge they would cripple the Windows operating system and give away the company's technology to competitors.

Microsoft Brings MSN To The Mac Market (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-896236.html>
Microsoft has quietly introduced MSN Internet Access for the Mac to customers in the 14 states that get local phone service through Qwest Communications International.

USB 2.0 Will Juice Up Personal Computers (Stephen Williams, Newsday)
<http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-pigear2688918apr30.column?coll=ny%2Dnews%2Dcolumnists>
The reins of power are pssing, from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. And it certainly forces the question everyone's asking: What's the fate of FireWire?

Dell Trying To Sidestep Chip "Cartel" (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=70&ncid=738&e=6&u=/cn/20020501/tc_cn/dell_trying_to_sidestep_chip__quot_cartel_quot_>
Dell has opened up relationships with a wider variety of memory manufacturers to curb the effect of recent price hikes in memory chips.

Microsoft Drives The Message Home To Aussies (Andrew Colley, ZDNet Australia)
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000024981,20264916,00.htm>
The adoption of Instant Messaging in Australian workplaces is growing rapidly and Microsoft is leading the charge.

Dell Sees HP-Compaq Merger As Opportunity For Gain (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9816038-0.html>
The chief executive of Dell on Tuesday said the No. 1 personal computer maker may gain market share amid confusion generated by the HP-Compaq merger.

Judge Clears Way For HP-Compaq Merger (Jessica Hall, Reuters)
<http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt_top.jsp?cat=TOPBIZ&feed=bus&src=202&section=news&news_id=bus-n30237879&date=20020430&alias=/alias/money/cm/nw>
A Delaware court on Tuesday cleared the way for HP's $18 billion purchase of Compaq, quashing an attempt by dissident shareholder Walter Hewlett to block the deal.

AMD Narrows Intel Gap, Boosts Hammer (Michael Kanellos, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-895815.html>
AMD gaine a bit of ground on Intel in the first quarter, bolstered in part by growth in the markets for notebook and server chips.

MS Still Unfair, States Declare (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,52199,00.html>
Nine states suing Microsoft tried Tuesday to offer complaints by computer makers as evidence that the company still uses unfair business practices after settling its antitrust case with the federal government.

=== linux news =============

Look Behind Windows And Watch Linux (Paul Andrews, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134444879_paul29.html>
Four to five years after it was supposed to happen, the Linux revolution may finally be gaining traction.

How Would Kermit Look In A Red Hat? (Larry Dignan, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-895180.html?tag=cd_mh>
Red Hat, the leading seller of Linux operating system, said Tuesday that Jim Henson's Creature Shop is using its version of Linux to power its design studio and other digital projects.

=== reader : world =============

Wealth Distribution And The Role Of Networks (Mark Buchanan, Harvard Business School Working Knowledge)
<http://hbswk.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=2906&sid=0&pid=0&t=finance>
It's an old question still in search of an answer. Why does inequality in wealth distribution repeat itself so consistently from country to country? New research suggest that network effects may be more in play here than the backgrounds and talents of citizens.

=== reader : life =============

Being Green At Ben &amp; Jerry's (George F. Will, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/744644.asp>
Some enviromental policies are feel-good indulgences for an era of energy abundances.

Cesar Pelli (Brian Libby, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/people/conv/2002/05/01/pelli/index.html>
The architect of Manhattan's World Financial Center -- and of the world's tallest towers -- discusses ground zero, the future of skyscrapers and how New York's skyline is handsomer than ever.

The F5: Mother Nature's Massive Twist Of Fate (Joel Garreau, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11502-2002Apr30.html>
You can't determine that a tornado is an F5 -- the most violent ever seen -- by directly calculating its wind speed. You measure it by the destruction it leaves.

He Chose Cheese Steak Over Fancy (Alex Witchel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/01/dining/01STEA.html>
Life, the saying goes, is what happens while you're making other plans. Having figured this out, Gary Thompson, whose story has been shaped by World War II, Vietnam and most recently by Sept. 11, has stopped making plans and started making cheese steaks.

It's The End Of The Modern Age (John Lukacs, Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i33/33b00701.htm>
The theme is simple. It has to do with conscious thinking. We have arrived at a stage of history when we must begin thinking about thinking itself.

This Dark World (Siôn Simon, Spectator)
<http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2002-04-27&id=1807>
It's a funny business, going blind. Not literally, of course. Or at least it's funny peculiar, rather than funny ha-ha. Perhaps the old school would call it rum. To be clear: it is interesting, but does not make me laugh.

=== reader : expressions =============

Bialystock, Or Lvov (C.K. Williams, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2064655&device=>

=== reader : eof =============

D'oh: Are 'The Simpsons' Leaving Soon? (Reuters)
<http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/30/simpsons.reut/index.html>
"It becomes increasingly difficult as the years go by to keep on not only surprising the audience, but surprising ourselves."

=== singapore top news =============

Deputy PM Says Tax Cuts Essential For Singapore (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-102900.html>
Singapore must cut its personal and corporate income taxes to remain competitive despite signs the economy is pulling out of a trough, Lee Hsien Loong said on Wednesday.

This Is The Future Of Singapore's Public Housing (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,117236,00.html?>
Come 2007, seven slim towers, each 48 storeys tall, will soar into the sky over Duxton Plain, in Tanjong Pagar.

=== singapore news =============

Why Put Curbs On Pupils' Choice Of CCA? (Lee Kay Hwee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,117424,00.html?>
If this is where our much-talked about world-class education system is headed, I am disappointed. It is not even comparable to the education system 30 years ago.

It's French And Fengshui (Suzanne Sng, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,117359,00.html?>
Restaurateur Jeremy Choo trusts the ancient Chinese art of geomancy so much that it determines all of his major decisions, from opening a new eatery to buying condos.

Citibank, ABN Amro Plan ATM Tie-Up (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,117433,00.html?>
Reports even as questions remain over whether Singapore is big enough to support three ATM networks, a fourth one looks set to join the fray.

Are We Living In Wingapore? (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/editorial/wingapore.html>
We should not be treated as a second-class citizens due to our choice of platform, especially when its the better one.

SQ006 Pilots Recalled By Taiwanese Prosecutors (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/6733/1/.html>
Taiwanese prosecutors have asked Singapore Airlines to send the three SQ 006 pilots back to Taipei.

Singapore Politician Arrested For May Day Rally (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-102909.html>
Chee Soon Juan was arrested on Wednesday after defying the city state's authorities with a May Day rally in the grounds of the president's offices.

Why CPF Cut Won't Help Older Workers (Y H Sia, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/views/story/0,2276,43570,00.html?>
Lower corporate tax, lower rents and other cost-cutting measures will serve better.

Push Back GST Hike? (Krist Boo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,117203,00.html?>
Retailers fear that they may be forced to absorb the increase or the higher tax may prompt Singaporeans to shop overseas.

Kerbau Packs A Ka-Pow (Tessa Wong, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,117178,00.html?>
The arts move on to Little India with the NAC's arts housing scheme, which has put six arts groups in a row of two-storey shophouses at Kerbau Road.

---