[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 18 21:05:02 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Analysts: iMac Woes Take Toll On Apple (Larry Dignan, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-862470.html>
Apple Computer's supply problems with its new iMac likely mean that the next few weeks will make or break the company's second quarter, which is expected to be "extremely tight," according to one report.

=== news =============

Ambrosia's Escape Velocity Nova Released (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13186>

Apple Extends Microsoft Office Deal (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=4381>
Uk customer can continue to save up to half the cost of Microosft's Office v.X till April 30, 2002.

>From The Shareware Industry, Lessons On Keeping Downloaders Honest (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36516-2002Mar16.html>
For shareware to survive, consumers have to pay for it. Do they?

=== opinions =============

Siriusly Twisted (Glenn Fleishman, 802.11b Networking News)
<http://80211b.weblogger.com/2002/03/16>
Let's raise a ruckus. Time to contact the FCC and offer some public feedback.

=== reviews =============

Solving The OS X Mystery (David Frith, The Barrow)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,3962007%5E15397%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
Mac OS X: The Missing Manual runs to just under 600 pages, and it covers pretty well any question you might ask.

PowerMac G4 Cube Serves Well For Talk To PCs (Mark Kellner, Washington Times)
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/technology/20020318-84213874.htm>
Can the Mac talk to PCs? Can the Mac read and write PC-compatible files? Are there enough applications for the Mac to make life useful?

IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (Jason Sims, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=239>
The biggest benefit of this latest revision is the greatly-improved optical sensing technology, which has eliminated the problems that made this mouse undesirable to some gamers.

Hardware Or Software? Wading The Video Stream (Darrin Woods, Network Computing)
<http://www.networkcomputing.com/1306/1306f1.html>
Our judges picked the images from our Darwin Streaming Server as either the best or the second best in our five bandwidth tests.

=== internet news =============

ICANN Surveys Its Crossroads (Steve Kettmann, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51109,00.html>
The battle for future control of the Internet could shift to Europe in the weeks ahead.

Filters Block 'Sinful Six' (Joanna glasner, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51009,00.html>
Wasting time on the Internet -- perhaps the favorite pastime of corporate America -- is increasingly coming under assault.

=== wintel top news =============

No 1 Is Not Enough For Michael Dell (Kenneth James, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,39226,00.html?>
Rivals will feel the heat as PC maker seeks new markets.

=== wintel news =============

HP Merger: Heads You Lose, Tails You Lose (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-861943.html>
How else to explain why a seemingly rational person like Carly Fiorina would pursue something as irrational as this merger with Compaq?

Microsoft Shuffles Mobility Group (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-862587.html>
Microsoft is sshaking up its Mobility Group to jump start the company's push into handhelds and cell phones.

Dell CEO: PC Rebound Not Happening Yet (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-861969.html>
Dell said he sensed some improvement in the US, but the overall tone was still cautious.

PowerMac G4 Cube Serves Well For Talk To PCs (Mark Kellner, Washington Times)
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/technology/20020318-84213874.htm>
Can the Mac talk to PCs? Can the Mac read and write PC-compatible files? Are there enough applications for the Mac to make life useful?

States Call For Tougher Penalties On Microsoft (Associated Press)
<http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2002-03-18-microsoft-states-trial.htm>
The states asked to force Microsoft to create a stripped-down version of Windows that could incorporate competitors' features and to divulge the blueprints for its IE browser.

Apple Extends Microsoft Office Deal (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=4381>
Uk customer can continue to save up to half the cost of Microosft's Office v.X till April 30, 2002.

XP Bandwidth Brouhaha (Brian Livingston, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/03/18/020318oplivingston.xml>
Using any software other than Microsoft's to view an XP desktop from Windows 2000 or any other OS would violate the company's license agreement.

=== linux news =============

Preparing Your LowEnd Mac For Linux (Adam Loiacono, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/unix/02/0318.html>

=== reader : world =============

>From The Foxhole To THe Boardroom (Uwe Reinhardt, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=105001779>
America's soldiers live by a code of honor. So should its executives.

=== reader : life =============

Get On The Bus (Lynn Yaeger, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/goingson/avenue/?020318goav_GOAT_avenue>
Makiing an excursion to Ikea.

A Matter Of Degree (Linton Weeks, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42186-2002Mar17.html>
What's as easy as ABC, only a little farther up the alphabet? A PhD.

Such Fuzzy Ideals, Comrades (Sarah Lyall, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/18/books/18LESS.html>
At 82, Doris Lessing is still just as interested in debating politics at train stations as she was 40 years ago.

=== reader : expressions =============

Upholstery (Joyce Carol Oates, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?020318fi_fiction>
"Had Ryan Voigt guessed that thirteen-year-old Sharon McGregor had a crush on him?"

=== reader : eof =============

The 101 Dumbest Moments In Business (Tim Carvell, Adam Horowitz, thomas Mucha, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/print/0,1643,38604,00.html>
In a perfect world, a list like this would not exist.

=== singapore top news =============

Malaysia Officials Turn Concerns To Plan For Changi Bridges (Eddie Toh and DOnald Urquhart, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,39188,00.html?>
Tekong, Ubin links with main island would affect navigation: Report.

Singapore's Unseen Poor Make Do... Just (Amy Tan, Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/nsp148739.html>
Singapore's do-it-yourself mentality is facing its toughest test, raising questions about the extent to which the government should go to help those in need.

=== singapore news =============

Surge In Bookings For US Holidays (Ginnie Teo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,109111,00.html?>
With improved airport and flight security and cheaper tickets, the US has become a popular destination with Singaporeans again.

Singapore Reported Upset Over Taiwan Crash Inquiry (Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=B2HFRJWHZB0LUCRBAEOCFFAKEEARMIWD?type=topnews&StoryID=709716>
Singapore transport investigators were barred from taking part in a key phase of the investigation, the Today newspaper said.

Electronic Tracking For Singapore School Buses (Reuters)
<http://asia.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/southeast/03/18/singapore.buses.reut/index.html>
A wireless tracking system that links school buses to schools and the parents of pupils in order to strengthen the children's security has been launched in Singapore.

NRIC Re-Registration For Those Who Turn 30 (Channel NewsAsia)
<www.macnn.com/>
Singaporeans who turn 30 this year may be required to re-register their NRIC, or identity cards.

Singapore's Reclamation Work Now Affecting Johor Ports (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/3/18/nation/reclam2&sec=nation>
Singapore's reclamation works at Pulau Tekong and Tuas are already affecting the Malaysian ports of Pasir Gudang and Tanjung Pelepas in Johor.

---