[MyAppleMenu] Mar 10, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 10 21:05:01 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Unite Friends And Neighbours: Just Install Your Nan (John naughton, The Observer)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,664797,00.html>
We are looking at the emergence of a new grassroots phenomenon - the Neighbourhood Area Network, or Nan.

=== news =============

The Next Phase Of Digital Imaging (Reid Kanaley, Knight Ridder News Service)
<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/personal_finance/2823322.htm>
Photography itself is being transformed by digital technology.

WebSTAR Thrice Faster Than Apache, Says 4D (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0203/09.webstar.php>

iMac Remains Popular At Apple Store Opening (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0203/09.southpoint.php>
The iMac was on the minds of everybody waiting to get in store.

=== reviews =============

A Multiple-Bellow Show Stealer (James Coates, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0203100008mar10.story?coll=chi%2Dtechnology%2Dhed>
Adobe has packed the software with new tools and found welcome ways to reposition some of the best old ones.

Digital Power To The People With iMac (Judy Voullaire, Stuff)
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1128288a1899,FF.html>

Penguin2Apple: How A Linux Lover Turned To A Macintosh (The Gamers Press)
<http://www.gamerspress.com/article.php?sid=1709>
After 2.5 years of Linux, I've finally found joy in a Unix operating system.

Apple's New iMac Big Leap Over Older Models (David Rosen, CanadaComputes.com)
<http://www.canadacomputes.com/v3/story/1,1017,8209,00.html?tag=81&sb=124>
One of the first things that hit me about Apple's new iMac models is its size.

Apple Base Station For Half Price (Glenn Fleishman, 80.11b Networking News)
<http://80211b.weblogger.com/2002/03/09>
Turn a $150 Orinoco RG-1100 into a $300 Apple AirPort Base Station, for free.

=== internet top news =============

How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love THe Panopticon (Cory Doctorow, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a//network/2002/03/08/cory_google.html>
How much ass does Google kick? All of it.

=== internet news =============

The Webvolution (Lisa Napoli, MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/720236.asp?0si=->
How the Internet changed our work, our words, our world.

WebSTAR Thrice Faster Than Apache, Says 4D (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0203/09.webstar.php>

Net Firms Give IPOs Another Try (Joanna Glasner, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/ipo/0,1350,50909,00.html>
The latest indication of returning vigor came this week when two online retailers added their names to the lineup of upcoming initial public offerings.

=== wintel news =============

Nobody Was Fooled By Microsoft Empty Threat (Lauren Barack, New York Post)
<http://www.nypost.com/business/43130.htm>

=== linux news =============

=== reader : tech =============

The Webvolution (Lisa Napoli, MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/720236.asp?0si=->
How the Internet changed our work, our words, our world.

Changing Hearts (Abraham Verghese, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/10/magazine/10WWLN.html>
Can some high-profile transplants, one onscreen, another in prison, revise our feelings about health care?

Accidental Genius (Mark Robinson, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.01/accidental.html>
What turns a good idea into the next insanely great thing? Inspiration, perspiration, and the law of unintended consequences.

=== reader : life =============

Ruthless People (Sandy Asirvatham, City Paper)
<http://www.citypaper.com/current/under.html>
Whenever some dreamer tries to sell me the theory about how the world would be a much nicer place if women ran it, I laugh.

With Smoke Cleared, East And West Coasts Try To Find Their Way (Kevin Fagan and Zachary Coile, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/03/10/MN9994.DTL>
The farther away you are from the carnage of that terrible day, the less the impact is felt -- and that is true to some extent even in New York City.

=== singapore top news =============

Don't Brush Aside KL's Fears, Spingapore Told (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,107487,00.html?>
Senior Malaysian officials are keeping up the pressure on Singapore over land reclamation work near Johor.

Singapore Should 'Give Access To Studies On Reclamation' (Brendan Pereira, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,107328,00.html?>
Malaysian minister says research on the effects of reclamation works should have been provided before work was started.

=== singapore news =============

Ring Tone Providers Accuse SingTel, M1 Of Feet Dragging (Adeline Chia, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,38434,00.html?>
SingTel says it is moving cautiously on the matter because of concerns over possible unresolved copyright issues.

Graduates Should Look Abroad To Find Jobs (Seah Yam Meng, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,107524,00.html?>
The competitive environment abroad would help unveil latent talents in some Singaporeans.

Singapore Not At Risk From Rising Sea Levels (Sharmilpal Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,107483,00.html?>

Case Boss Slams 'Quiet' Price Rise (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,107505,00.html?>
Petrol companies' move is ill-timed, astonishing and an unnecessary new burden on consumers, says new chief.

Can Sentosa Erupt Once Again? (Koh Boon Pin, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,107319,00.html?>
In remaking Sentosa to draw in eight million visitors, some things may have to go, under a new masterplan being drawn up for the island.

Visitors To Kallang Play Circle Game (Tee Hun Ching, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,107290,00.html?>
Road diversions at Stadium Boulevard have seen takings for some shops plummet, while other establishments say that beyond the dust and chaos, there are bright prospects ahead.

ISA Detainee 'Brainwashed' By Cell Leader (Alethea Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,107404,00.html?>

---