[MyAppleMenu] Mar 31, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 31 21:05:01 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== news =============

Program Aims To Customize Lessons (L.C. Greene, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin)
<http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/articles/Teacherslearnlaptopsystem.asp>
Nearly 200 teachers learned to use a new and potentially revolutionary computer system, giving them a unique ability to deliver customized instruction to individual students.

Five Great Days In May: WWDC 2002 (Apple)
<http://developer.apple.com/wwdc2002/>

Chips With Everything (Jim McClellan, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/life/story/0,6903,675598,00.html>
15 years later, Apple introduced another innovation, which, while perhaps not so radical as the Macintosh, changed PCs all over again.

Technology Innovator: Jonathan Ive, Designer Of The iMac (Sheryl Garratt, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/life/story/0,6903,675600,00.html>
Until 1998, we all knew what a personal computer looked like. Then came the iMac.

Sticking With Software of Yore (Edwin Black, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38455-2002Mar29.html>
In an industry obsessed with the idea of forward motion, the retrograde act of switching to an old version is a lot tougher than you might think.

XP License Turns Java Creator To mac (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0203/30.gosling.php>
"I personally actually read the XP license and decided I couldn't sign it. So I've been shifting over to Mac."

=== internet news =============

Web Services: Why Care? (McKinsey Quarterly)
<http://news.com.com/2009-1023-871959.html>
Simply put, Web services are business and consumer applications, delivered over the Internet, that people can select and combine through almost any device from personal computers to mobile phones.

The Push For News Returns (Kendra Mayfield, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51112,00.html>
In an age of information overload, a bevy of services are attempting to automate news so humans won't have to sort through headlines.

=== wintel news =============

Web Services: Why Care? (McKinsey Quarterly)
<http://news.com.com/2009-1023-871959.html>
Simply put, Web services are business and consumer applications, delivered over the Internet, that people can select and combine through almost any device from personal computers to mobile phones.

Security Stance (Joellen Perry, U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/020408/biztech/8security.htm>
Will Microsoft's new mission make cyberspace safer?

Sticking With Software of Yore (Edwin Black, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38455-2002Mar29.html>
In an industry obsessed with the idea of forward motion, the retrograde act of switching to an old version is a lot tougher than you might think.

=== reader : tech =============

DNA Ditties (Henry Fountain, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/weekinreview/31FOUN.html>
An executive with one Silicon Valley company is now suggesting that DNA sequences be converted to digital music, arguing that they might then be protected under copyright law.

The Push For News Returns (Kendra Mayfield, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51112,00.html>
In an age of information overload, a bevy of services are attempting to automate news so humans won't have to sort through headlines.

=== reader : life =============

A World Of Their Own (Liza Mundy, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23194-2002Mar27.html>
In the eyes of his parents, if Gauvin Hughes McCullough turns out to be deaf, that will be just perfect.

To Forgive, Divine (Roxanne Roberts, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36141-2002Mar29.html>
The wisdom, and healthfulness, of letting go of anger.

The Next Chapter (David Rakoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/31QUESTIONS.html>
Questions for Michael J. Fox.

Britain's Beloved 'Queen Mum,' A Symbol Of Courage, Dies At 101 (Sarah Lyall, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/obituaries/31QUEE.html>
In a life longer than the 20th century, the queen mother presided over a period of turbulence and change in Britain, helping to sustain the monarchy through the most serious crises to befall it in modern times.

Power Steer (Michael Pollan, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/31BEEF.html?pagewanted=1>
To learn how the meat industry really works, the author bought himself a calf, then watched him become a fat-marbled monster.

=== singapore news =============

Why Mobile Banking Is So Slow To Take Off Here (Angele Tan, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/bizit/story/0,2276,40459,00.html?>
THe service is a non-starter because there is simply no demand. And that's the first of many reasons.

KL Wants Singapore To Act Now... (Reme Ahmad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,111570,00.html?>
Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said yesterday Malaysia had no intention of causing inconvenience, but it was up to the Republic to act on complaints about its reclamation works.

... But What, Exactly, Is The Problem? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,1115http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,111573,00.html?70,00.html?>
Lim Swee Say said yesterday that Singapore was still 'awaiting Malaysia's input, basically on what issues concern them'.

Singapore's Actions Will Not Add To The Burden Of Neighbours: Environment Minister (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020331/5/singapore3969.html>
"As long as the leaders on both sides continue to adopt a constructive attitude, continue to enhance our communications, make sure that we can continue to enhance our mutual understanding, mutual respect, I think there's no reason why Singapore and Malaysia cannot cooperate more."

Ghani: Singapore Feeling The Threat (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/3/31/nation/ghanilands&sec=nation>
The economy of the island republic was slightly affected following the creation of the Pasir Gudang Port.

---