[MyAppleMenu] Jun 17, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 17 21:05:02 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Microsoft Releases Internet Explorer 5.2 (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/17.ie.php>
The update includes a number of enhancements that make the browsing experience better for customers using Mac OS X, according to the MacBU.

Microsoft's Mac Hebrew Snub Prompts Israeli AntiTrust Complaint (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25742.html>
Microsoft's refusal to provide Hebrew support in its Macintosh Internet Explorer browser or Office suite has prompted a complaint to Israel's antitrust department.

=== news =============

Microsoft Updates IE For Mac (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-936719.html?tag=cd_mh>
The update comes as browser competition begins to heat up on the Mac.

ThnkFree To Mac Users: Try Our Office (Ian Fried, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-936817.html>
Software company ThinkFree on Monday announced a low-cost alternative to Microsoft's Office software for Mac OS X, offering a package of word processing, graphics and spreadsheet software for $50.

Jobs To Deliver NY Keynote (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4813>

MSU College Recommends Macs To Students (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14747>

Academic Outwits Burglar With Magazine Ad (Ananova)
<http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_608740.html?menu=news.latestheadlines>
A New Zealander who had his computer stolen found the thief by placing an advert in a computer magazine.

=== opinions =============

Some Thoughts On The New PowerBook Posmo G4 Processor Upgrades (Charles W. Moore, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2002/06/20020617130113.shtml>

Good-Bye, Rodney (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/02/0617.html>
We hope he has found the peace that so often eluded him.

Being A Paper Hog Keeps Him So Happy (Roger Harris, Ventura County Star)
<http://www.staronline.com/vcs/business_columnists/article/0,1375,VCS_257_1211878,00.html>
Remember the paperless society?

=== reviews =============

MP3 Devices, Prices All Over The Place (Jefferson Graham, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/06/17/mp3.htm>
The iPod's tiny hard drives come from Toshiba, an the competition didn't emulate size because "we have patents pending" on the internal design.

QuickTime 6 -- Not So Fast (Jan Ozer, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=1470&a=28103,00.asp>
QuickTime 6 is worth considering for publishiners who stream video to a range of devices, including wireless ones and set top boxes, where the access and simplicity of supporting one format may outweigh MPEG-4's royalty fees and inferior video quality.

Zend Studio (Elizabeth Fulghum, New Architect)
<http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2457/na0702n/index.html>
2.0 development tools for PHP grow up.

=== internet top news =============

An Internet Pioneer Of The 90's Looks To A Future In Softare (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/17/technology/17MARK.html>
Times have changed since Marc Andreessen co-founded Netscape Communications six years ago. Mr. Andreessen and his new company Loudcloud have changed with them.

How Google Searches Itself (Fara Warner, Fast Company)
<http://www.fastcompany.com/online/60/google.html>
Google has become one of the hottest companies in Silicon Valley by helping millions of Internet users search the Web smarter and faster. But how does this wildly popular search engine find the new ideas that will keep its business moving forward? By "googling" itself.

=== internet news =============

Microsoft Updates IE For Mac (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-936719.html?tag=cd_mh>
The update comes as browser competition begins to heat up on the Mac.

MSN Boasts Rosy Ad Outlook Overseas (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-936827.html>
Microsoft on Monday broke ranks with its struggling peers by predicting 25 percent growth in online advertising for its MSN portal for the coming fiscal year in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Microsoft Releases Internet Explorer 5.2 (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/17.ie.php>
The update includes a number of enhancements that make the browsing experience better for customers using Mac OS X, according to the MacBU.

My Name's Too Rude For MS Passport (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/25739.html>
"Your lastname contains a word that has been reserved or is prohibited for .NET Passport registration."

Battle Over Access To Online Books (David D. Kirkpatrick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/17/technology/17LIBR.html>
Librarians have seized on the potential of digital technology and offered users free online access to the contents of books from their homes, and they are squaring off with publishers who fear that free remote access costs them book sales.

3 New Rivals To Explorer (Lee Dembart, International Herald Tribune)
<http://www.iht.com/articles/61550.html>
The problem with Web browsers is this: The best browser is Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, it is made by Microsoft.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Updates IE For Mac (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-936719.html?tag=cd_mh>
The update comes as browser competition begins to heat up on the Mac.

Microsoft Tightens Security For Wi-Fi (Ben Charny, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-936869.html>
Microsoft will extend the security measures now found in its Windows XP operating system to Windows 2000 and the slimmer version of the OS used in handheld devices.

MSN Boasts Rosy Ad Outlook Overseas (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-936827.html>
Microsoft on Monday broke ranks with its struggling peers by predicting 25 percent growth in online advertising for its MSN portal for the coming fiscal year in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Microsoft Releases Internet Explorer 5.2 (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/17.ie.php>
The update includes a number of enhancements that make the browsing experience better for customers using Mac OS X, according to the MacBU.

Behind Microsoft's Mobile Revamp (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2008-1082-936615.html>
When it comes to deciding the future of wireless and mobile technology directions, the strategy of the market's biggest software maker is fairly simple: What's good for Microsoft is good for the computer industry.

Microsoft's Mac Hebrew Snub Prompts Israeli AntiTrust Complaint (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25742.html>
Microsoft's refusal to provide Hebrew support in its Macintosh Internet Explorer browser or Office suite has prompted a complaint to Israel's antitrust department.

My Name's Too Rude For MS Passport (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/25739.html>
"Your lastname contains a word that has been reserved or is prohibited for .NET Passport registration."

The Dell Curve (Michael Schrage, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.07/dell.html>
Michael Dell built a radical and profitable direct sales machine. So why hasn't the world jumped on his business model?

Intel Builds Servers, Block By Block (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-936537.html>
Intel is releasing several "building blocks" to make it easier for business partners to build servers using Intel processors, the company will announce Monday.

Pet Peeves About Each .NET Language (Jose Mojica, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1590>
Each language has things that annoy me so much about them that they keep me from fully committing to them.

=== reader : world =============

Wanted: A Better List (Brendan Miniter, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/bminiter/?id=110001852>
On the FBI's Web site, a glaring symbol of unseriousness.

Restoring The Imperial Presidency (Bruce Shapiro, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2002/06/17/bush_watergate/index.html>
The Bush administration rivals the Nixon White House when it comes to secrecy and unchecked power, with John Ashcroft as our modern-day John Mitchell.

=== reader : tech =============

The Conservation Bomb (Richard A. Muller, Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_muller061402.asp>
There will be 10 billion people on Earth by 2010--and all of them can live comfortably if advances in energy-saving technology continue.

The Great Awakening (Joel Garreau, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61282-2002Jun16.html>
With a pill called Modafinil, you can go 40 hours without sleep -- and see into the future.

Ripped, Mixed-Up And Burned (Daphne G. Carr, The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=special&s=carr20020613>
This new versatility, however, came along with a new title: criminal.

How Google Searches Itself (Fara Warner, Fast Company)
<http://www.fastcompany.com/online/60/google.html>
Google has become one of the hottest companies in Silicon Valley by helping millions of Internet users search the Web smarter and faster. But how does this wildly popular search engine find the new ideas that will keep its business moving forward? By "googling" itself.

=== reader : life =============

Philip K. Dick: His Dark Vision Of The Future Is Now (Richard Corliss, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020624/pkd.html>
What's missing? The philosophy he dreamed of.

Even A Daughter Can Want To Be Just Like Dad (Jane Ganahl, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/16/LV243756.DTL>
I've always -- OK, almost always -- had a great relationship with my dad, but until I was 18 or so I felt more like "Daddy's little boy" than his little girl -- more like his second son than his third daughter.

Far, Far Away (Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110001850>
Why is the new "Star Wars" so bad? Its creator has lost touch with reality.

"How To Lose Friends And Alienate People" By Toby Young (Michelle Goldberg, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/books/review/2002/06/17/young/index.html>
A would-be member of the media elite describes his hilarious misadventures trying to succeed in the shallow, celebrity-obsessed world of glossy magazines.

Pac-Man (Chris Green, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/masterpiece/2002/06/17/pac_man/index.html>
With its canary-yellow Everyblob hero, its masterfully simple design and its abstract realm where even death was a cheerful event, Pac-Man brought video gaming out of the bars and into the malls.

Just One Word: Plastic (Hank Stuever, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34482-2002Jun11.html>
Why we owe our souls to Wilmington, Delaware.

Battle Over Access To Online Books (David D. Kirkpatrick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/17/technology/17LIBR.html>
Librarians have seized on the potential of digital technology and offered users free online access to the contents of books from their homes, and they are squaring off with publishers who fear that free remote access costs them book sales.

=== reader : expressions =============

The Perfect Store (Adam Cohen, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/16/books/chapters/0616-1st-cohen.html?tntemail0>
First chapter.

=== singapore top news =============

Ball Now In Singapore's Court (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,126737,00.html?>
Malaysian Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said yesterday that it was up to Singapore whether to accept or reject Malaysia's water price formula that he would put forward to his Singapore counterpart during meetings here on July 1 and 2.

=== singapore news =============

Tech Slump To Dull Buzz At CommunicAsia Trade Show (Jennifer Tan, Reuters)
<http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=ZJY0ZIHO4DG52CRBAE0CFEYKEEATGIWD?type=technologynews&StoryID=1095685>
Glitz and gadgets will again feature at this year's CommunicAsia in Singapore, but the annual trade show may lack the usual buzz as more companies opt out and the recovery in the high-tech industry remains patchy.

---