[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 15 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Switching To The Mac (Jason Kottke, kottke.org)
<http://www.kottke.org/02/06/020611switching_to.html>
I still think Apple has that dictatorial power over their system, but I'm willing to embrace that. I just want my computer to work for the things I want to do with it, and if I have to pay a little more for it or not have access to all the latest software, so be it.

=== news =============

Record Firms Sued Over Anti-Piracy CDs (Reuters)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/3476159.htm>
The five major record companies have been hit with a class-action lawsuit charging that a new breed of CDs designed to thwart Napster-style piracy is defective and should either be barred from sale or carry warning labels.

Apple Store Coming To Milwaukee, WI Mall (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14740>

=== opinions =============

McAfee Manufatures Virus Threat (Slashdot)
<http://features.slashdot.org/features/02/06/14/1343223.shtml?tid=166>
The sleaze has gotten out of hand; it's time to roast a group of 20 or so companies whose profits are directly linked to creating fear in their customers, who have to keep discovering new sources of fear to improve their bottom line - or in the basence of new discoveries, keep inventing new sources of fear.

Mac Switch-Back, In-Progress (Kim Walls, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1587>
Frankly, there are so many things that I want to do with my new iBook that i can't decide where to begin.

=== reviews =============

IBM's G3 750FX CPU Software Overclocking? (Accelerate Your Mac)
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2002_overclocking.html>
The IBM 750FX CPU used in the new 2002 iBooks have a bus/cpu multiplier that can be set via software.

FireWire Hard Drives (Kristina De Nike, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/firewire.html>
If you're working with large files or digital video you always need more storage. These 120GB and 100GB drives should give you enough free space for at least a few months. We found all of them easy to set up and use.

LiveMotion 2.0 (Martin Gittins, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/livemotion.html>
LiveMotion 2.0 is a strong product that at last provides a viable alternative to Flash an authoring tool. With a vastly improved feature set, this version will appeal to many users who approach building interactive Web content with trepidation.

Flash MX (Martin Gittens, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/flashmx.html>
For Flash developers looking to build sophisticated ActionScript-based Web sites, applications, or games, this is an essential upgrade.

800MHz Titanium PowerBook G4 (Rick LePage, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/powerbook.html>
Smart improvements make high-end laptop shine.

Combustion 2 (Ben Long, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/combustion.html>
If you create composites or perform rotoscoping for a living, Combustion is well worth the investment. Its excellent interface and professional-caliber features make it a pleasure to use.

Digital Asset Managers (Bruce Fraser, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/digital.html>
Cumulus 5.5 and Portfolio 6 make organizing file spainless and finish neck and neck -- again.

=== internet news =============

Andreessen: Browser War Aren't Coming Back (Matt Berger, IT World)
<http://www.itworld.com/Tech/3494/020614andreessen/>
Internally at AOL, they don't think about browser market share. They think about getting AOL out to millions of people.

Bush Highlights Broadband Internet Access (Robert MacMillan, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52540-2002Jun14.html>
But Democrats, consumer groups decry lack of details.

Merrill Brown: After The "Heyday" (Staci D. Kramer, Online Journalism Review)
<http://www.ojr.org/ojr/kramer/1024012308.php>
In a way, the real surprise about merrill Brown's decision isn't that he's leaving but that he stayed this long. After all, his six years at MSNBC.com broke a personal record for length of time in one job.

=== reader : world =============

Rudy's Duty (Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/>
Plus: Homeland ain't no American word.

=== reader : tech =============

Patently Absurd (Gary L. Reback, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044.html>
Too many patents are just as bad for society as too few.

=== reader : life =============

Double Triumph (Meredith May, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/14/BA110524.DTL>
Twins graduate while helping raise twin brothers.

A Cat Person Gets A Dog (Emily Yoffe, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066924>
It doesn't purr. It doesn't clean itself. It eats bras.

Talk About Your Lost And Found! (William Gildea, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54060-2002Jun14.html>
There's nothing better than watching a World Cup game unless it's watching two at the same time.

Artist's Fame Is Fleeting, But Dog Pocker Is Forever (Dan Barry, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/14/nyregion/14DOGS.html?8hpib>
If it were a dog's world, Cassius Marcellus Coolidge would be more famous than he is, which is pretty much not at all.

The Emperor Of Greed (Julie Creswell with Nomi Prins, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=208320>
With the help of his bankers, Gary Winnick treated GLobal Crossing as his personal cash cow -- until the company went bankrupt.

Merrill Brown: After The "Heyday" (Staci D. Kramer, Online Journalism Review)
<http://www.ojr.org/ojr/kramer/1024012308.php>
In a way, the real surprise about merrill Brown's decision isn't that he's leaving but that he stayed this long. After all, his six years at MSNBC.com broke a personal record for length of time in one job.

The Pleasures Of Cooking (Jolly St Nick, Kuro5hin)
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/14/1416/80193>
The greatest cost of not cooking is that many people don't know what good food is anymore.

The Invisibility Of Asian-American Scholars (Frank H. Wu, The Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i40/40b01201.htm>
Asian-Americans cannot wait for an invitation. We must stand up and speak out. We will surprise ourselves as much as we do others.

---