[MyAppleMenu] Jun 1, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 1 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple Offers Mac OS X Maintenance Program (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/lib/020601osxma.shtml>
Apple is offering a new program that will provide users of Mac OS X the opportunity to receive major releases of the company's industrial strength operating system over a three year period.

=== news =============

Fans Kick Back At Mac Hack Falk (James Middleton, vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1132303>
Despite numerous requests for comment from Apple, the company has not yet provided a spokesman to comment on the issue. However, our readers have more than made up for Apple's silence with their enthusiastic and well informed comments.

=== opinions =============

Apple Videoconferencing Device Coming Soon (Kelly McNeill, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/18014.html>
I believe Apple was planning to release the videoconferencing device Jobs referred to at the company's April shareholders meeting but was forced to put it on hold because of licensing problems.

=== reviews =============

Tools For Creating Web Pages Finally Leave Stone Age (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134465566_ptmacc01.html>
Whether it's drag and drop or hunt and peck, we're living in the future, at last, in which creating Web pages is no longer like building a fire with flint and some sticks.

Apple iMac Series (Gene Steinberg, CNET)
<http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-405-9966538.html?tag=rev-rev>
For the price, Apple delivers a capable basic computer with lots of extra style points.

Adobe AfferEffects 5.5 (Michael Tate Jones, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/alust/resources/Reviews/Archives/AfterAffects55/rev_ae55.shtml>
Besides the big switch to OS X, AE 5.5 introduces the much-antiticpated Advanced 3D rendering engine.

=== internet news =============

Court Overturns Law Mandating Internet Filters For Public Libraries (John Schwartz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/01/national/01LIBR.html>
A federal court panel struck down a law requiring libraries to filter the Internet for material harmful to minors yesterday, saying the technology blocks so much unobjectionable material that it would violate the First Amendment rights of library patrons.

Google Takes Top Prize In Its Own Contest (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-929633.html>
Google may be the real winner of the $10,000 contest.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Judge Will Not Consider Memo On Intel Retaliation (D. Ian Hopper, Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/business/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o1079_BC_Microsoft-DisputedMem&&news&newsflash-financial>
The federal judge hearing the Microsoft antitrust case said Friday she will not consider an internal Microsoft e-mail that advocated retaliation against "unfriendly" computer makers.

=== reader : life =============

When A Parking Battle Devolves Into A Coin Toss (Dave Ford, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/05/31/WB24775.DTL>
Today, let's examine how human motives affect daily interactions. Let's examine the thinking that separates us from the animals.

The September 11 X--Files (David Corn, The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/capitalgames/index.mhtml?bid=3&pid=66>
September 11 was so traumatic, so large, that there will always be people who look to color it--or exploit it--by adding more drama and intrigue, who seek to discern hidden meanings, who desire to make <i>more</i> sense of the awful act. And there will be people who want to believe them.

With The World Band In Your Hands (Ian Austen, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/30/technology/circuits/30BASI.html>
While shortwave may conjure up images of bulky metal boxes filled with vacuum tubes, manufacturers have co-opted microelectronics to greatly improve how their radios operate while reducing size.

Hong Kong Reignites Fire Of China's Regional Cuisines (Nina Simonds, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/02/travel/02TAB.html?8hpib>
Hong Kong's bounty of regional Chinese restaurants is one of the chief lures of this great eating city.

Creative Cities And Their New Elite (Emily Eakin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/01/arts/01BOHO.html?8hpib>
Should Pittsburgh recruit gay people to jump-start its economy? Should Buffalo -- another fiscally flat-lining city -- give tax breaks to bohemians?

This Is Not The Borders I Love (Wong Wei Kong, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,46939,00.html?>
What customers want from brick and mortar bookstores like Borders is the browsing experience.

=== singapore top news =============

SingTel Seeks To Block StarHub-SCV Tie-Up (Tammy Tan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,123291,00.html?>
It urges IDA to reject merger application, claiming that the proposed eal runs the risk of being anti-competitive.

=== singapore news =============

Korean Kicks (Geoffrey Eu, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/whatsin/story/0,2276,46886,00.html?>
While the World Cup matches stimulate your sense of sight, let your tastebuds be bowled over by spicy and robust Korean food.

This Is Not The Borders I Love (Wong Wei Kong, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,46939,00.html?>
What customers want from brick and mortar bookstores like Borders is the browsing experience.

Heads Should Roll For Error (Ron Tan Aik Ti, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,123300,00.html?>
Shouldn't heads roll in this case, and some people in the then-Telecommunication Authority of Singapore responsible for this 'mistake'?

'Ducks' Give Tourists Something To Quack About (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,123197,00.html?>
Look out for amphibious coaches that take tourists through the city before slipping into the water for a leisurely boat ride.

CPF Change 'Won't Hurt Property Market' (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,123289,00.html?>
"Whatever we do, whatever measures we take, it is clear we don't want it to have a depressing effect in the property market over the short to medium term."

---