[MyAppleMenu] Jul 30, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 30 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Will Real Feast Where Apple Failed? (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947094.html>
Apple may have been first, but it hasn't been much of an inspiration.

Jaguar Jumping Everywhere: Interoperate With Mac, UNIX, And Win32 (Jacqueline Emigh, Earthweb)
<http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article/0,,12083_1434401,00.html>
Whether you're running Macintosh, UNIX, or Windows machines, Apple's upcoming Jaguar release is worth a good, long look.

=== news =============

75 Free iPhoto Prints With Jaguar (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=15607>
Apple is giving all buyers of Jaguar through the Apple Store 75 free prints via iPhoto.

New iPod Highlights Old Dilemma For PCs (Reuters)
<http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-column-pluggedin.html>
In the end it may be a matter of cost, as buying a new PC with both USB 2.0 and Firewire can be an expensive proposition.

OpenOffice Gets Its OS X Story Straight (Masha Zager, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/18805.html>
Sun confirmed on Monday that the Sun-Apple collaboration actually took place before Sun decided to release the source code for StarOffice, and that Sun's current plans for a Mac version are focused on OpenOffice rather than StarOffice.

Dvelopers Aim To Give Apple More Bite (Darren Greenwood, Computerworld New Zealand)
<http://www.idg.net.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/1A260E0731332CCACC256C0500071B7F!opendocument>
Apple gaining market share for first time in years, says event organiser.

Apple Seeding (Dave Sterman, Multex Investor)
<http://dai.multexinvestor.com/article.asp?docid=9931&nd=0730>
Conventional wisdom holds that Apple will never be able to break beyond its niche of multimedia-savvy users and educational institutions. But the conventional wisdom is wrong. Apple's new products and strategies are setting the stage for a strong multi-year growth spurt.

How Gray Is My Valley (Diana Welsh and Julie N. Lynem, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/07/30/MN34658.DTL>
Callow youth is out, experience, maturity are in at high-tech firms.

Apple Jaguar Promo Doesn't Apply To Jaguar (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/26444.html>
A promotion that promises to sweeten the pain of the $129 update to Jaguar doesn't apply to Jaguar.

Richmond, Virginia, Getting New Apple Specialty Store (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/30.store.php>
Richmond, Virginia is getting a new Apple specialty store called MacPro.

What Is A DVI Port And What Can I Do With It? (PC User)
<http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/0A13FE4636976C6CCA256C030044612F>

=== opinions =============

Apple's Retail Upswing (Steve Watkins, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/practical/02/0730.html>
Apple is doing some things right on the retail front.

=== reviews =============

>From Pinball To Action, Take A Mac-Gaming Nostalgia Trip (Peter Cohen, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/08/reviews/gameroom.html>
What if you're longing for the days when you could sit in a molded-plastic chair at the arcade and play games until you lost all feeling in your legs? We've got you covered there.

Kensington Optical Elite (Patrick Leyden, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=268>
A few insignificant drawbacks do not take away from the fact that this is a well-made mouse.

Hands On With Freeway 3.5 (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/30.freeway.php>
Version 3.5 combines ease of use with powerful featuers.

=== internet news =============

Want To Share Wi-Fi? Ask The EFF (Ben Chamy, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-947239.html>
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is spreading the word about ISPs likely to go easy on people who share their wireless access.

=== wintel top news =============

Microsoft Upgrade Plan Gets Cold Shoulder (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-947164.html>
The majority of Microsoft's customers won't be signing up for a controversial licensing plan set to go into effect on Thursday, according to analysts' estimates.

Intel Owns Inside (True) (Drew Cullen, The Register)
<http://www.theregus.com/content/3/25789.html>
Maps and mailshots?

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Gives More Power To The Small (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-947180.html>
Microsoft is putting a little more .Net in its Windows CE .Net.

How Microsoft Sells .Net -- To Devlopers (Wylie Wong, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-947153.html>
He's hardly as well-known as Bill gates but Eric Rudder will have more influence over the future of Microsoft's bet-the company .Net software strategy than his more famous boos.

=== reader : world =============

The Emperor Is Far Away (Hannah Beech, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501020805-332081,00.html>
Beijing's looming leadership change looks irrelevant to China's citizens, who answer to lower powers.

Israeli-Palestinian Battles Intrude On 'Sesame Street' (Julie Salamon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/30/arts/television/30SESA.html?8hpib>
Ramallah. Gaza. Jerusalem. Hebron. These are the familiar battlegrounds of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Now another location has come under siege: Sesame Street.

=== reader : tech =============

How The Postman Almost Owned E-Mail (Stuart N. Brotman, Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/7045.asphttp://www.technologyreview.com/articles/7045.asp>
A short history of the Postal Service's long relationship with electronic mail.

Sour Notes (Farhad Manjoo, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/30/file_trading/index.html>
The legal crackdown hasn't squelched MP3 trading -- it's just made it more of a pain. But the music industry would still rather fight than give its online customers what they want.

=== reader : life =============

Weblog Competition A 'Bloody Stupid Idea'? (Tom Coates and Simon Waldman, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/internetnews/story/0,7369,765160,00.html>
So what's a self-respecting dead-tree media organisation to do?

Working On The First R In The First Years (Mary Rourke, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-lv-read30jul30.story>
More children ages 5 and younger are being read to--a practice that experts say gives them a head start in life.

Eek, Mickey Mouse! (Michael Lewis, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2068588&device=>
A low-rent cartoon character drives six hours to scare the crap out of my daughter.

Growing Up Truly Absurd (Hank Stuever, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19023-2002Jul29.html>
'Running With Scissors': The tragic memoir that has readers in stitches.

Goodbye To Buttery Blini (Judy Collins, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/30/opinion/30COLL.html>
For 40 years, I have called the Russian Tea Room a home away from home, eating and celebrating in that glorious, painting-filled, samovar-studded, red and gold palace.

Looking To Watch A TV Show? Try 'ITVL: AA in TV' Or 'Spo' (Sally Beatty, Wall Street Journal)
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB1027895247285149920,00.html>
A strange garble is spreading across TV listings, thanks to a simple problem: too many channels, too little newsprint.

=== singapore top news =============

Will Water Stay A Security Issue? Jury's Still Out (Asad Latif, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,134831,00.html?>
Those at a think-tank discussion are divided over whether the supply will become just a commercial matter in ties with Malaysia.

=== singapore news =============

StarHub To Take On SingTel In Fixed-Line Phone Market By Year-End (Ynja Bjornsson, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/14743/1/.html>
StarHub is targetting to sign up 5 to 10 percent of the cable-TV customers it has inherited from Singapore Cablevision within the first year of the landline operation.

Fined Singapore Politician Loses Chance To Stand In Poll (Amy Tan, Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-117887.html>
Singapore opposition politician Chee Soon Juan lost his chance to contest the next general election when he was slapped with a fine on Tuesday for spearking in public without a permit.

---