[MyAppleMenu] Jul 13, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 13 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Macintosh Vs. Personal Computer (Dana Geenlee, Tacoma Daily Index)
<http://www.tacomadailyindex.com/story102194.html?LeftSide=%23FFFFFF&HighlightColour=%23336666&HotSpotColour=%23FFFFFF&LinkColour=%23336666>
"The secret of the Macintosh success is it has the absolute largest unpaid sales force in the world."

Macworld Expo New York: Looking Ahead (Philip Michaels, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/12/preview.html>
Macworld Expo kicks off in New York next week with the same anticipation, speculation, and fascination that typically surround the week-long gathering of Mac users, software and hardware makers, and Apple executives.

=== news =============

Sybase Readies ASE Beta For Mac (Matt Hicks, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,374517,00.asp>
Sybase, in its push to support Apple's enterprise efforts, later this month is releasing a beta version of its relational database software for the Macintosh operating system.

At The Desk Of... Bradley Whitford (David Whitford, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,41146,FF.html>
The one piece of technology that has made me feel optimistic is my Apple PowerBook G4 laptop. I think there's paradise and peace in this machine.

Catchall 802.11 Label Could Confuse End Users (Junko Yoshida, EE Times)
<http://www.commsdesign.com/story/OEG20020712S0063>
A move to brand IEEE 802.11 products of all stripes as "Wi-Fi Certified" is making some wireless-LAN vendors nervous.

=== opinions =============

Mac Web Sites: Can You Believe What You Read? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/02/07/12/0349218.shtml?tid=164>
The "new journalism" is quite unlike traditional news, where reporters and commentators are expected to have some degree of training and, one hopes, some respect for accurate reporting and even eidtors to review the material before it's published.

Discussion: Latest Toast Update Combat Fair Use (Slashdot)
<http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/02/07/12/0349218.shtml?tid=164>

=== reviews =============

Bluetooth Is Still Too Temperamental For The Beginner (Jim Krane, Associated Press)
<http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_7.html>
Get rid of the power cord, the printer cable and the modem line, and your computer just got more valuable.

=== reader : world =============

Who Wants This War? (Michael Kinsley, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58387-2002Jul11.html>
And why don't we find out before we start one?

Capitalists Without A Clue (Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/13/i_know_nothing/index.html>
Once all-seeing captains of industry, America's CEOs are now playing the Sgt. Schultz dumbo cad, braying "I know no-thing, no thing!"

=== reader : tech =============

Battling An Alien Predator In A Suburban Pond (Francis X. Clines, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/13/science/13SNAK.html>
Investigators are trying to figure out how northern snakehead fish escaped their Asian habitat and found their way to the shores of Maryland.

=== reader : life =============

Friends For Ever? (Marina Cantacuzino, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/women/story/0,3604,753774,00.html>
Unlikely. Close friendships between men and women tend to wither as soon as one of you gets married. What's everyone so afraid of?

Blonde Is The New Blonde (Shane Watson, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,753773,00.html>
Blonde? Then you must be a dumb gold-digger. Not necessarily - there are six basic categories of blondes.

It's MSNBC News' Turn For A Makeover (Tim Goodman, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/07/12/DD56359.DTL>
It seems as if every other week, a 24-hour cable news channel is getting a face-lift.

Innovative Bronze-Age Technology (Booth Moore, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-lv-tan12jul12.story?null>
No matter how much research comes out about the cancer risk of sun explosure, tans haven't fallen out of fashion since the trend-setting French designer returned to Paris bronzed from a cruise on the Duke of Westminster's yacht shortly after World War I.

An Arab Poet Who Dares To Differ (Adam Shatz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/13/arts/12ADON.html>
The poet known as Adonis is widely considered the Arab world's greatest living poet.

=== reader : expressions =============

She Took My Arm As If She Loved Me (Herbert Gold, San Francisco Reader)
<http://www.sanfranciscoreader.com/gold%20fiction.html>
It is a well known fact that aging persons, even persons with a pronounced tendency to grow older, are sometimes allowed to fall in love. God winked. I was such a person.

Fun With Problems (Robert Stone, The New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?020715fi_fiction>

=== singapore news =============

RI-Singapore Relations Suffer From Misperception (Berni K. Moestafa, Jarkata Post)
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20020713.B01&irec=2>
Indonesia and Singapore's bilateral ties suffer from public misperception about each other, while new challenges affecting the region have emerged that must be tackled together, foreign policy experts from both sides said on Friday.

---