[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 7 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Inside The Apple iPod Design Triumph (Erik Sherman, Electronics Design Chain Magainze)
<http://www.designchain.com/coverstory.asp?issue=summer02>
No doubt subsequent versions of the iPod will yield a revised design chain as different components and optimizations are discovered and needed. But for now, Apple's first design chain strategy and product have been a success.

=== news =============

Mac Collecting Like A Religion (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,53596,00.html>
The Mac is more than a computer: It's a community, an identity, a church. Collecting Apple memorabilia is an important part of the Mac psyche.

=== reviews =============

Livin La Vida Digital (Dennis Sellers, ComputerUser)
<http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2107,5,18,1,0701,02.html>
Steve Jobs' digital lifestyle concept takes center stage.

Apple eMac (Jason Snell, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/08/reviews/emac.html>
G4 with CRT dcisplay is the true successor to the original iMac.

=== reader : world =============

Changing The Subject (Mary McGrory, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30825-2002Jul5.html>
We must hope that someone in the inner circle is warning the president that regime-changing is harder than subject-changing -- something at which he is exceptionally adept.

The Switch (Wendy Kaminer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/07WWLN.html>
If the court has been less skeptical of the death penalty in recent years, the public has become more so.

Have You Seen This Fish? (Maureen Dowd, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/opinion/07DOWD.html>
Over this hot holiday weekend, people here have been more absorbed with the search for the noxious and elusive Snakehead than the search for the noxious and elusive Evildoer.

=== reader : tech =============

Tollbooth Technology Meets The Checkout Lane (Amy Cortese, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/business/yourmoney/07PAYY.html>
>From gas stations to grocery stores to fast-food chains, merchants are experimenting with payment systems for a harried marketplace.

Complexity Made Simple (Loch Adamson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/07QUESTIONS.html>
Questions for Stephen Wolfram.

=== reader : life =============

A Question Of Pride (George Sanchez, Motherjones.com)
<http://www.motherjones.com/web_exclusives/features/news/gay_shame.html>
As the gay pride movement has grown, both in size and influence, so has the fight over corporate sponsorship of pride events.

I'm Sorry, Could You Sing That Again? (Craig Raine, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,750044,00.html>
We commonly sit through operas without even being clear about the plot, let alone knowing what the individual words are on about.

Chinese Drill Team Helps Girls Find Own Rhythms (Marc Ramirez, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134488810_drill06.html>
While its story is one of cultural heritage, friendship and coming of age, it's also the story of Cheryl Chow, who for 36 years has led the team founded by her mother, ofrmer King County councilwoman Ruby Chow.

Stars Of The Summer Sky (David Montgomery, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28439-2002Jul5.html>
Fireflies. What did we ever do to deserve them?

What If It's All Been A Big Fat Lie? (Gary Taubes, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/07FAT.html>
At the very moment that the government started telling Americans to eat less fat, we got fatter. The truths about why  we gain weight and why it is so hard to lose it just might turn out to be much different from what we have been led to think.

Impressionist Visions Near Paris (Dana Micucci, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/travel/ART.html>
Not far from Paris, two sleepy villages, Auvers-sur-Oise and Ornans, bring to mind the paintings of van Gogh, Daubigny and Courbet that they inspired.

More Than A Bed And Breakfast (Paula Butturini, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/travel/GITES.html>
We needed sunshine. We needed bird song. And we needed to get them on the cheap.

=== reader : expressions =============

Half Gone (Tim O'Brien, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?020708fi_fiction>

=== singapore top news =============

Young Singaporeans More Liberal In Their Attitudes (Chong Chee Kin, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,130428,00.html?>
Although the finding is a cause for concern, said Acting Minister of Community Development and Sports Yaacob Ibrahim, it is too early to sound alarm bells.

=== singapore news =============

Residents Slam Design Of Sengkang Blocks (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,130576,00.html?>
They say covered linkways let rain in, many of the block signs are hidden from visitors and lift lobbies are in constant darkness.

Malaysia Reveals Asking Price For Water (Reme Ahmad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,130590,00.html?>
Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said when the two countries meet again for talks next month, Kuala Lumpur plans to give Singapore a 'notice to review prices', to sell untreated Johor water at 60 sen (S$0.28 cents) per 1,000 gallons between now and 2007.

---