[MyAppleMenu] Jul 1, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 1 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple Ships Xserve (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/01.xserve.php>
Apple today announced that it has begun shipping the company's first rackmount server, the Xserve.

Apple Creates Duet With Software Maker (John G Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-940817.html>
Apple Computer is singing a new tune with the acquisition of Emagic, which makes production software for professional musicians.

=== news =============

Using iMovie To Launch A Business (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/07/allbymyself/>
"This project could never be any done any other way than with all Apple products."

DNS Security Hole Does Not Affect Macs (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=15038>

Apple Among Companies With 'Best Coverage' (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/01.coverage.php>
A new study lists Apple among the 10 companies with the best coverage.

Art As A State Of Mind (Gene J. Koprowski, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,52940,00.html>
Not all art is committed to canvas or stone. One artist works by transmitting her emotional brain waves to a computer, creating a unique canvas for her imagination. Imagine what Van Gogh would have done with <i>that</i>.

Apple Begins New Rebate Promotion (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=15028>

Apple Grabs Added Design Kudos (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/lib/020701idmag.shtml>
Apple has taken four awards in the annual I.D. Magazine Design Review.

Apple Drops Emagic Bombshell (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25966.html>
"What about the 35% PC-based users? I for one can't understand the discontinuation of the windows-based products."

The iPod Does Windows (Julio Djeda-Zapata, Pioneer Press)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/technology/3576766.htm>
In what the industry expert says could soon trigger "spectacular" iPod sales, new software has made the player PC-compatible.

=== opinions =============

Rendezvous: It's Like A Backstage Pass To The Future (Jared White, The Idea Basket)
<http://www.gaeldesign.com/ib/me.7.1.02.php>
No matter how you slice it, Rendezvous is important for Apple.

Mac OS X Based Cash-Register And POS Systems (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/01/1649222>

A Mac? In The Rack? (Brian Caulfield, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,41510,00.html>
In the plug-ugly world of servers, the Xserve's slick aluminum design makes a bold fashion statement.

=== reviews =============

Icewind Dale (Scott Dewbre, MacDirectory)
<http://www.macdirectory.com/game/IcewindDale/index.html>
This is the game that old school D&Ders have been waiting for since they put away their dice.

Take Off With 'Little People Discovery Airport' (Larry Blasko, Associated Press)
<http://www.nandotimes.com/entertainment/story/452433p-3622940c.html>
Knowledge Adventure does good stuff for kids, and its skills are evident here. The more central question is whether a 2-year-old who is perfectly happy banging the kitchen pots needs to start a software library.

ThinkFree Office 2.0 (Robert L. Pritchett, MacNut)
<http://www.mac-nut.com/magazine/issues/may02/reviews/think.shtml>

=== internet news =============

Amazon Expected To Sell Apparel (Bob Tedeschi, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01ECOM.html>
The company, which has held the line on product expansion for the last nine months, will open an online apparel store this summer or in early fall, in time to fix any problems before the holiday shopping season begins.

A Dispute Over Wireless Networks (Peter Meyers, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01WIFI.html>
Time Warner Cable has warned some cable-modem subscribers that operating wireless networks and inviting others to freely share them violates their subscription agreements.

=== wintel top news =============

MS Security Patch EULA Gives Billg Admin Privileges On Your Box (Thomas C Greene, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25956.html>
Microsoft has just assumed the right to attack your computer and surreptitiously install code of its choosing. You will not be warned; you will not be offered an opportunity examine the download or refuse it. MS will simply connect remotely and install what it will, or install it secretly when you contact them.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Starts Work On Web Services In Europe (Gillian Law, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/07/01/020701hntechedeurope.xml>

Microsoft Set To Release .Net Tool For Java Developers (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/06/30/020630hnjavanet.xml>
The successor to Microsoft's Visual J++ tool, J# provides a transition for Java developers into Microsoft's XML Web services development effort.

Microsoft Takes Its Software On A Road Trip (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
< http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01SOFT.html>
To gauge the importance Microsoft places on its new audio and video software, step into the company's new van.

=== reader : world =============

How To Rig A Democracy (Susan Sachs, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/30/weekinreview/30SACH.html?8hpib>
What if the United States were as serious about saving the Arabs from corrupt autocrats and radical Islam as it once was about saving the world from communism?

=== reader : tech =============

Dot-Com Noir (Brian McWilliams, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/01/spyware_inc/index.html>
When Internet marketing goes sour: A sordid tale of spyware, "junk traffic," bodybuilding and a half-baked plan for Hollywood glory.

Ashamed To Be An Executive (Tim Race, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/technology/01NECO.html>
The stream of corporate scandals -- WorldCom, Global Crossing, Enron -- has appalled some longtime technology leaders.

=== reader : life =============

Popularity (David Owen, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/?020708sh_shouts>
Why am I not famous? A writer's lament.

The Fake-Lesbian Kiss -- Sexual Revolution Or Ratings Ploy? (Jane Ganahl, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/30/LV206649.DTL>
If a scrip tsucks and the action lags, tell the two female co-stars to make out.

Martha's Boradroom Makeover (Howard Kurtz, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5399-2002Jun30.html>
>From the moment Time began a story with "What did Martha Stewart know? And when did she know it?" it was clear that the stock of tycoons was plummeting on the media exchange.

Fiction And Fact Collide With Unexpected Consequences (John Sedgwick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/books/01SEDG.html>
For the most part my journalistic subjects were safely removed from me. But as products of my imagination, my fictional characters were me. How could they not intrude?

Wisconsin's Beguiling Back Roads (R.W. Apple Jr., New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/30/travel/WISC.html>
Crossing a rich land, proud of its heritage, that Frank Lloyd Wright and the Ringling Brothers once called home.

As 9/11 Cleanup Moves Inside, Residents Battle With Emotions (Kirk Johnson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/nyregion/01CLEA.html>
On the 31st floor of 310 Greenwich Street, about four blocks north of ground zero, emotional residue from the disaster swirls as much as the dust that people still wipe from their window sills and from the clothes in their closets.

=== singapore news =============

Stop Justifying, And Listen To The People (Michael Seah Swee Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,129526,00.html?>
What the public and consumer wanted was a consideration. What they got was not even an explanation, but a justification.

Prove Bank's Negligence To Get Compensation: Lawyers (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,129500,00.html?>
Although the issue of 'who pays and when' depends on the terms of the contract you sign, most contracts give the banks the upper hand.

World Cup Pays Off Handsomely For Many Local Businesses (Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/12024/1/.html>
>From big-screens to beer and betting -- all say they met their targets and exceeded them in some instances.

Singapore, KL Cautious About Reaching Pact At Talks (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,129398,00.html?>
The ministers expressed cautious optimism that an agreement could be reached over two days of talks that would settle differences over water, the use of Malaysian air space by Singapore's air force, a proposed bridge, and the location of customs and immigration facilities.

Malaysia And Singapore Grapple With Water Dispute (Barani Krishnan, Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=3MH4JR2RDLXTICRBAEZSFFAKEEATIIWD?type=topnews&StoryID=1148893>
Malaysia and Singapore began talks on Monday to try to seal a tricky deal on water supply for Singapore, the thorniest bilateral issue between the two neighbours.

Many Singaporeans Want To Be Their Own Boss: Survey (Dawn Teo, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/12014/1/.html>
Many Singaporean workers aim to become their own boss, with those between 25 and 34 years of age most attracted to entrepreneurship, a new survey shows.

IDA Will Not Appeal $388m Lawsuit Against SingTel (Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/12006/1/.html>
The Infocomm Development Authority is not appealing against the landmark ruling in its $388 million lawsuit versus SingTel.

SilkAir To Boost Capacity Amid Rising Demand (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/11995/1/.html>
Regional carrier SilkAir has said it plans to expand capacity by more than a fifth this year to meet rising leisure travel demand.

---