[MyAppleMenu] Jan 24, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 24 21:05:02 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

Dear readers: myapplemenu is on hiatus from Jan 21 (Monday) till Jan 27 (Sunday), where updates will be minimal. See you again on Jan 28.

=== top =============

To Go Mac Or Not To Go Mac? That Is The Question... (David Morgenstern, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2841769,00.html>
Mac users truly like their computer and its interface.

Why Apple Has That Special Glow (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jan2002/nf20020123_4752.htm>
Judging by all the screens at Macworld emitting OS X's aqua-blue aura, it sure looks like the new operating system has achieved liftoff.

=== news =============

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Forms Mobile Start-Up (Reuters)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/027255.htm>

=== opinions =============

Apple: At What Price Innovation? (Scot Petersen, eWEEK)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-820691.html>
Innovation is going to suffer when the main concern of most PC makers is merely to stay in business. And that doesn't bode well for Apple.

6 Million iMacs Later (Charles Downs, Arizona Central)
<http://www.azcentral.com/computing/downs/>
You <i>must</i> see the actual computer -- and when you do, you'll most likely agree with me: The new iMac is not a gimmick.

=== reviews =============

Apple's New iPhoto Handles Thousands Of Digital Pictures (Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal)
<http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html>
iPhoto is a winner.

Web Feast For Apple Enthusiasts (Jim Heid, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000006010jan24.column?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
The Web is full of Mac-related Web sites of all types and credibility levels, sites that have full-time editorial staffs and sites that are based in spare bedrooms.

=== internet top news =============

Amazon Happy Dance Spurs Worry (Joanna Glasner, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,49979,00.html>
As reflections filter in over the blockbuster earnings announcement from the Seattle company this week, many analyst and investors aren't raising high hopes for a repeat performance soon.

=== internet news =============

Web Feast For Apple Enthusiasts (Jim Heid, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000006010jan24.column?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
The Web is full of Mac-related Web sites of all types and credibility levels, sites that have full-time editorial staffs and sites that are based in spare bedrooms.

=== wintel top news =============

In AOL's Suit Against Microsoft, The Key Word Is Access (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/24/technology/ebusiness/24SOFT.html>
"This lawsuit is about the future and how that future will play out. AOL is trying to challenge the Microsoft threat here and now."

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Fires Back At AOL (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-821834.html>
"AOL can't have it both ways. Their uncooperative attitude on document production stands in stark contrast to their active, behind-the-scenes involvement with the non-settling states."

Risks May Outweigh '.Net' Good (Lawrence J. Magid, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000006011jan24.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>

Microsoft, Government Share The Hot Seat (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-821418.html>
An antitrust research group said on Wednesday it plans to file a lawsuit against Microsoft and the U.S. Justice Department, charging that both failed to fully disclose contacts that led to a proposed settlement of the case against the software giant.

=== linux news =============

More Asian Companies Adopting Linux (Irene Tham, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-821073.html>
A new survey of 850 companies revealed that 15 percent of companies in the region -- excluding Japan -- used Linux in the fourth quarter.

=== reader : world =============

Amazon Rises, Kmart Falls (Rob Walker, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2061073>
A few years ago, if you had predicted that by the beginning of 2002, Amazon.com would be showing a profit and Kmart would be operating under bankruptcy protection, you would have been articulating something close to the conventional wisdom about the future of retail.

=== reader : tech =============

Drawn To The Hearth's Electronic Glow (Katie Hafner, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/24/technology/circuits/24SCRE.html>
It used to be just a family room. Now it has screen, sound and seating to rival the multiplex.

=== reader : life =============

Stand And Deliver (Robert Smaus, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-012402climbers.story>
Climbing roses, bearing a bounty of colorful blooms, rise up and fan out where space is tight.

A Slice Of American Life (Linton Weeks, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac3/ContentServer?pagename=wpni/email&articleid=A22395-2002Jan22&node=style/archive>
Any way you slice it, pie is as American as, well, as pie.

Encounters With Glaciers In Switzerland (Eric Pfanner, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/20/travel/SAAS.html>
The Swiss village of Saas-Fee offers reliable snow conditions -- and a few tricky moments.

=== reader : expressions =============

My Flamboyant Grandson (George Saunders, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/FICTION/?020128fi_fiction>

Getting A Date For Amelia (Matthew Cheney, Failbetter.com)
<http://www.failbetter.com/SummerFall2001/GettingaDateforAmelia.htm>
I felt bad about trying to sell Amelia, so I thought I could make it up to her by getting her a date.  I figured, she may be a tard, but even a tard ought to be able to find somebody to love.  So I told her, "Amelia, I'm sorry I took you out on the street the other day and tried to sell you for a dollar, but I'm going to make it up to you."  She smiled, but I don't think she really understood.

=== singapore top news =============

Singapore Finds "Clear Link" Between Local Group And Al-Qaeda (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020124/1/2conw.html>
The new evidence was a video tape found in a secret compartment in the home of Mohamed Khalim bin Jaffar.

=== singapore news =============

WTC Tenants See Red Over Rent Hike (Ginnie Teo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,98689,00.html?>

Disabled Get Free Taxi Rides Under New Scheme (Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,98593,00.html?>
CityCab taxi drivers volunteer their time while fares are paid by Michelin.

21 Nabbed While Waiting Near ERP Gantries (Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,98527,00.html?>
An illegal attempt to save money turned out to be an expensive mistake for motorists trying to avoid ERP charges.

---