[MyAppleMenu] Jan 1, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 1 21:05:01 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Reactions To "Tales Of A BeOS Refugee" (Scot Hacker, Birdhouse.org)
<http://www.birdhouse.org/macos/beos_osx/redux.html>
Because it was impossible to respond to everyone individually, and because I thought many people would appreciate being able to read these comments and my reactions to them, I've assembled this addendum.

Apple Pushes Hype Envelope, Bills Expo As "This One Is Big. Even By Our Standards." (Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/12/31.6.shtml>
We have seen that Apple has been stepping up the hype for its own events in the last 6 months, but this one really takes the cake.

=== news =============

SPR Issues "Outperform" Rating On Apple (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11581>

Gassee Resigns From Software Maker Be (Scott Ard, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8327565.html?tag=owv>
Gassese's departure is not surprising, but marks the latest sad chapter for a company that strived for more than 10 years to create a new operating system to compete with Apple, Microsoft and others.

unsanity Releases FruitMenu For OS X (Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1316.html>
FruitMenu lets users totoally redefine the behavior of the Apple menu.

A Macworld After All (Bob Norberg, Press Democraft)
<http://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/news/31macworld_d1prerund.html>
Rumors abound as SF braces for big news from Apple founder.

Consumers Were Winners This Year In Tech World (Julio Ojeda-Zapata, PioneerPlanet)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/215355.htm>
It's an underdog in a Windows world, but the Macintosh maker's frenzy of innovation in 2001 often put PC-product makers to shame.

Hess Memorial Macworld Events List Up & Running (John H Farr, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/12/20011231174055.shtml>
Ilene Hoffman's compilation of where to go and what to do does more than simply tell you where to score free food.

Protecting Your Mac From Net Nuisances (New York Times)
<http://www.iht.com/articles/43365.html>
While most attacks from hackers, worms, viruses and Trojan horses are aimed at Windows-based computers, Macintosh machines are not impervious to Internet-related security problems.

2001 The Year Technology Shrunk (Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2835084,00.html>
Last century we built supersonic airliners and went to the Moon. As we get going on this one, technology is getting smaller and more personal instead of bigger and further away.

Current iMac On Its Way Out At Circuit City (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11580>

Airburst Updated To 1.03 (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=4558>

Adobe To Announce GoLive 6.0 Next Week (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11582>

Older iMacs, 9.2.2 Installation Problems (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=11583>

=== opinions =============

ATI Support Outage And Screen Hinge Grumbles (Chalres Moore, MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/02/01/02/index.html>

A Look Ahead: How 5 Technologies Will Fare In 2002 (Stephan Somogyi, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2835365,00.html>
I'm inclined to think that 10.2 will be the most important release of all.

Ruminations Of A Gadget Junkie: iGo? (Vern Seward, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2001/12/31.1.shtml>
Even if Apple does not slap its brand on the Danger Hiptop, I want one.

Apple: What You Should Know About ESO Grants (RodgerRafter, Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2001/011231.htm>
Companies typically are run for the benefit of executives, and not shareholders, because executives are the ones in control, and shareholders seldom are aware of what is going on.

=== reviews =============

Microsoft Office X (Gary Coyne, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/officex.shtml>
Microsoft has done a superb job of impleneting the nuances of OS X to Office X. However, in each program there are aspects that should have been better.

Audible.com Raises Bar On Audio Books (Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press)
<http://www.contracostatimes.com/computing/stories/o23audible_20011230.htm>
The software runs on Windows and Macintosh computers, though it does not currently allow transfers from a Mac to a digital player.

Routers Are The Hot Ticket (Lou Dolinar, Newsday)
<http://www.pioneerplanet.com/tech/ptk_docs/212289.htm>
Once relegated to the wiring closets of Fortune 1000 corporations, routers have been rather spectacularly outed by the growing need for connectivity and security for home networks connected to the Internet.

=== internet top news =============

Fewer Dot-Com Job Losses In December (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-8322970.html?tag=owv>
Internet companies in December announced the smallest number of monthly job cuts in the past 1.5 years.

=== internet news =============

Today's Web: Fewer Billboards, More Substance (Alexis D. Gutzman, Internet.com)
<http://ecommerce.internet.com/news/insights/ebiz/article/0,,10379_947001,00.html>
This new web is leaner and deeper. Fewer billboards more substances.

Peer To Peer Finding Its Niche (John Borland, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5101113,00.html>
It took a boom and a bust to do it, but peer-to-peer technology is finding its post-Napster place in the world.

Pay-To-Play Music: Lots Of Missed Notes (Jane Black, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2001/nf20011227_6780.htm>
Here's a rundown on the three new -- legal -- subscriber services, none of which seems ready to give listeners what they really want.

=== wintel top news =============

"Win-XP Hole" Mis-Represented By FBI, Press, Gibson (Tim Mullen, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23517.html>
Everyone from the FBI to the LA Times has something scrary to say about the new XP vulnerability. Here's why they all have it wrong.

=== wintel news =============

Look Back At A Viral Year (Becky Worley, TechTV)
<http://www.techtv.com/news/coverstory/story/0,24195,3366288,00.html>
A number of computer viruses and worms reared their ugly heads in 2001 and cost PC users billions.

=== reader : world =============

How Islam Lost Its Way (Pervez Amir Ali Hoodbhoy, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37263-2001Dec28.html>
Yesterday's achievements were golden; Today, reason has been eclipsed.

=== reader : tech =============

Will The Sun Shine Again On The Tech Industry In The Coming Year? (Kara Swisher, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2001/12/31/financial1225EST0072.DTL&type=tech>
Don't count tech out. It has managed to bounce back reliably many times before and will again.

=== reader : life =============

A Hit Man's Guilt (Fred Dickey, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-000099699dec16.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
John Patrick Sheridan was lucky. He murdered 'Big Mac' McKenna and got away with it. Then he heard about the dying man's last words.

Penguins Threatened By Iceberg Weather Changes (Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-000103361dec31.column?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dscience>
Two massive icebergs in Antarctica's Ross Sea have altered local weather conditions enough to endanger some of the continent's penguin breeding colonies.

For 2002, A Word From Palindromists: Yay (Renee Tawa, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-010102palindrome.story>
Backward-and-forward aficionados are excited about the oh-so reversible year -- "a thing of beauty."

OneDay: A Holiday Whose Time Has Come? (David Montgomery, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46854-2001Dec31.html>
D.C. activist Linda Grover wishes all the world a peaceful new year's.

Fertility Inc.: Clinics Race To Lure Clients (Gina Kolata, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/01/health/womenshealth/01CLIN.html>
The market was already saturated, and the doctors realized that even though they were experts in infertility and had recruited a leading embryologist to work her magic with sperm and eggs, they could not just sit back and wait for patients to appear.

=== reader : eof =============

CNC: Extra, Extra, Read All The Ads (On The Front Page) (Donna L. Goodison, Boston Business Journal)
<http://boston.bcentral.com/boston/stories/2001/12/31/newscolumn2.html>
>From the editorial side of the paper, CNC editor-in-chief Kevin Convey said most editorial folks think of page one as a place for news only. At the same time, he said, they would much rather see front-page ads than layoffs.

=== singapore top news =============

Jobs Issue Will Continue To Take Centrestage On Political Scene (Chuang Peck Ming, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,32000,00.html?>
Government will have its work cut out trying to manage changing times, expectations.

=== singapore news =============

Bubbly Flows Less Readily This New Year As Drinkers Tighten Belts (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020102/5/singapore16428.html>
Distributors and retailers said that overall consumption has taken a considerable nosedive.

New Year, New Name For Westin (K.c. Vijayan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,94156,00.html?>
The twin Westin hotels change names at the stroke of midnight, marking their return to Raffles International group.

Singaporeans Turn To Civil Service For Jobs As Downturn Bites (Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2002/01/01/singaporenews16415.htm>
This time, it is the Defence and Home Affairs ministries which hsave seen a significant jump in applicants.

SMRT Will Ensure Service Levels Do Meet Demand (Goh Chee Kong, Singapore MRT Ltd, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,94043,00.html?>
SMRT will continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure that service levels are adequate to meet demand.

---