[MyAppleMenu] Feb 4, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 4 21:05:01 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Why I Just Love The New iMac (And Why You Might, Too) (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2844895,00.html>
I have no reservations whatsoever recommending an iMac as a family's new or next home computer. Only really hard-core gamers would have trouble with a Mac, and those people should be looking at the new gaming consoles anyway.

=== news =============

Absorbing Apple's Aesthetic (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,49920,00.html>
Apple's design aesthetic is so strong, one college professor gets his students to design new hardware specifically for Apple.

=== opinions =============

Apple Vs Sony: A Digital Smackdown (Eric Schonfeld, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-828494.html>
The two have different strategies and different technologies, but truly reinventing the consumer electronics market may require a combination of their approaches.

The State Of The Mac Web (Scott McCarty, GraphicPower)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-828809.html>
Webmasters are all complaining about the erosion of advertising revenue.

Thinking Diffferent About USB Ports (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/02/0204.html>
If you're going to strain your credibility by adding the two USB ports on the keyboard, at least subtract the port the keyboard is plugged into.

=== reviews =============

FileMaker Profession 5.5 (vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/Products/Software/1128917>

New Edition Of The iBook Doesn't Grow Into A Swan (John J. Kroll, Plain Dealer)
<http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/business/10128186241537251.xml>
The new iBook is a mess. Let's hope it grows up fast.

Finally, A No-Hassle, No-Strain Computer (Stephen H. Wildstrom, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_06/b3769025.htm>
The excellent new iMac cures our greatest ergonomic ill.

Decorator-In-A-Box Programs (David Colker, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.nando.com/technology/story/235987p-2237015c.html>
After the hours of drudgery and frustration spent just learning how to use these programs, I was no longer much interested in rearranging my living room.

Probing Deep Into Origin Of Universe (Joseph Szadkowski, Washington Times)
<http://www.washtimes.com/technology/20020131-436464.htm>

=== internet top news =============

A New Test For Internet Offerings (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/technology/ebusiness/04NECO.html>
Are investors ready to take a ride again on the Internet? An answer may become clearer with the initial public offering of Paypal.

Pssst. Wanna See My Blog? (Chris Taylor, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020211-198891,00.html>
Impromptu online journals are popping up all over the Web. If I can figure out how to build one, you can too.

=== internet news =============

The State Of The Mac Web (Scott McCarty, GraphicPower)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-828809.html>
Webmasters are all complaining about the erosion of advertising revenue.

Search Engines Sued Over 'Pay-For-Placement' (Scarlet Pruitt, IDG)
<http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/02/04/search.engine.lawsuit.idg/index.html>
The maker of a popular weight-loss system filed suit against four search engines this week, alleging that their policy of letting advertisers pay to appear in top-ranked search results violated federal and state trademark and fair-competition laws.

Cnet Battling Hard Times In Tech Market (Dan Fost, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/01/30/BU141227.DTL&type=tech>

Line Between Content And Ads Not Always Clar On Internet (Seth Sutel, Associated Press)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/014760.htm>
The line might blur even more going forward as advertisers struggle to get the attention of Web surfers who breeze right by banner advertisements, buttons and other spaces clearly labeled as ads.

Today's Publishing: Better By The Book Or By The Web? (Matthew Mirapaul, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/arts/04ARTS.html>
Everyone has a tale to tell, but since Sept. 11 everyone here can also describe the personal impact of that day's epochal events.

At Motley Fool Site, Talk Will Now Carry A Price (Laurie J. Flynn, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/technology/ebusiness/04FOOL.html>
Access to its discussion areas would soon cost $4.95 a month, or $29.95 for an annual subscription.

Where Will You Be In The Fossil Record? (David Docherty, Guardian)
<http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,644298,00.html>
If new media was a species, an evolutionary biologist would be hard pressed to make sense of its past and future.

Microsoft Schmoozes With Hollywood (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8689492-0.html?tag=ats>
In its ongoing effort to strike entertainment and media partnerships, Microsoft's MSN portal will power the Web sites for two popular TV shows produced by NBC, according to sources familiar with the deal.

=== wintel top news =============

Inside Intel's Monster Chip (Michael Kanellos, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-828474.html>
McKinley, Intel's upcoming server processor, will be huge, at least in terms of surface area.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Updates BizTalk Software (Wylie Wong, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-828809.html>
Microsoft executives say they're making it simpler for companies to do business over the Web.

Wireless Keyboard, Mouse From Microsoft (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2110-1040-828762.html?tag=cdshrt>
Microsoft on Monday joined Logitech and other peripherals makers that offer wireless mice and keyboards for use with Windows PCs.

Nine Dissenting States Split 'Official' (Matt Berger, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4193>

Microsoft Pins Hopes On Fledgling Web Service (Allison Linn, Associated Press)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/02/03/financial1351EST0012.DTL&type=tech>
The .NET platform is key to changing the image of Microsoft, long thought of as a maker of business tools and operating systems.

Microsoft Schmoozes With Hollywood (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8689492-0.html?tag=ats>
In its ongoing effort to strike entertainment and media partnerships, Microsoft's MSN portal will power the Web sites for two popular TV shows produced by NBC, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Gates Doesn't See Economic Recovery In 2002 (Reuters)
<http://money.cnn.com/2002/02/03/economy/wires/davos_gates_re/>
Bill Gates said on Sunday that he sees no global economic recovery this year, countering a budding groundswell of optimism tied to economic data pointing to a fast rebound.

=== linux news =============

Is Linux Really Ready For The Enterprise? (Todd R. Weiss, Computerworld)
<http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/02/04/linux.enterprise.idg/index.html>
The sales claims from Linux vendors were compelling. The reactions for potential customers, however, are mixed.

I Tried Linux ANd Lived (David Landis, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_06/b3769090.htm>
Although I ultimately wasn't sold on it, using Linux made me realize I'm not as much Bill Gates' prisoner as I thought I was.

=== reader : world =============

Fears In the 'Un-America' (Christopher Dickey, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/698886.asp?cp1=1>
Europe doesn't like what it's hearing. As Bush turns up the heat, our transatlantic allies grow uneasy with the us-vs.-them rhetoric.

Bush Awaits History's Judgment (Dan Balz and Bob Woodward, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14101-2002Feb2.html>
President's scorecard shows much left to do.

=== reader : tech =============

The Encrypted Jihad (Barak Jolish, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/02/04/terror_encryption/index.html>
We can't stop terrorists from using uncrackable codes. So we shouldn't even try.

=== reader : life =============

Never Mind The High Praise. How About A Little Ink? (David Ferrel, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-000008627feb03.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
His work is priced as high as $150,000. He's been commissioned to paint by the U.N. But there's no place in the world of fine art for Yuroz and others like him.

Plagiarism, Or A Case Of Something Less Duplicitous? (Ken Ringle, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18459-2002Feb3.html>
Could plagiarism be contagious?

Today's Publishing: Better By The Book Or By The Web? (Matthew Mirapaul, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/arts/04ARTS.html>
Everyone has a tale to tell, but since Sept. 11 everyone here can also describe the personal impact of that day's epochal events.

After 2-Year Detour, Grishma Returns To Legal Thrillers (David D. Kirkpatrick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/books/04GRIS.html>
"The Summons" is a shorter, leaner and less descriptive than his early ones. "I am getting lazy."

=== singapore top news =============

Recession? Don't Forget The Sharksfin (Alicia Yeo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,101041,00.html?>
Most families are still going the whole hog and eating out for their annual reunion dinner this year.

=== singapore news =============

Public Sector At Forefront Of KM (Anna Teo, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/knowledge/story/0,2276,35205,00.html?>
Singapore seen as a leader in the e-government game.

Infocomms Spending Stayed Constant Last Year (Tang Weng Fai, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,35223,00.html?>
But jobs created fell 20% to 4,500 and total value added fell 26% from 2000 to $1.4b.

Taiwan Sex Scandal Is Hot With Singapore Surfers (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,101038,00.html?>
Biggest group worldwide on Lycos search engine.

Good Response To 'Keep Left' Call In MRT Stations (Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2002/02/04/singaporenews19897.htm>
Commuters have welcomed the practice as keeping left has helped speed up commuter flow.

Singapore Mulls Trading Electricity With Other Countries (Katherine Tay, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2002/02/04/singaporenews19924.htm>

Two Girls Suspended Over Wearing Of Tudung To School (Lee Siew Hoon, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com.sg/articles/2002/02/04/singaporenews19929.htm>

Singapore Schoolgirls Defy Headscarf Ban (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1799000/1799868.stm>
A Muslim schoolgirl who defied a Singapore government ban on the wearing of traditional bheadscarves has been suspended from school.

---