[MyAppleMenu] Dec 29, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 29 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Dec 29, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Brauner Phantom C New Team (ZioShow.com)
<http://www.zioshow.com/viewnews.php?id=343>
Legacy Lab, the production suite Levy built for himself in the 1980s, currently houses twelve Macintosh computers, three of which are dedicated ProTools rigs.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Can You Learn To Love Mac OS X? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2002/12/161.htm#love>
It's easy to dwell on the differences, and ignore the similarities.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
PowerBook Titanium Breaks Gigahertz Barrier (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1716440>
While nobody will call a PowerBook inexpensive, the new top-of-the-line model is a much better value than its predecessor.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Look Who Shrunk The Computer (Jeffrey Zygmont, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2002/1229/computer_1.htm>
Wisecracking rebel Harold Koplow was a pharmacist before landing a job at Wang Laboratories. Then, on the verge of dismissal, he designed the first microchip-loaded, user-friendly desktop unit.

XML For 2003 (Smon St. Laurent, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2493>
2003 is promising to be the most exciting year the XML world has seen since those halcyon days of 1998 and 1999, as substance fills in the space behind all the promises.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
A History Course For 2003 (Jim Hoagland, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46118-2002Dec27.html>
The relationship between the then and the now is more mysterious than either historians or journalists like to admit.

The Target (Scott Anderson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/29/magazine/29PEARL.html>
Daniel Pearl's murder does carry an important message.

States Of Alarm (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/29/opinion/29HERB.html>
There is something eerie, even a little unnerving, about the budget crises that continue to spread, like a contagious, crippling disease, to states and cities across the U.S.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Vernor Vinge (John Hind, The Observer)
<http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,865638,00.html>
He predicted the internet, but will his notions about the post-human era be as exact?

Who Owns The Internet? You And i Do (John Schwartz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/29/weekinreview/29SCHW.html>
Mr. Turow, a professor at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, studies how people use online technology and how that affects their lives. He has begun a small crusade to de-capitalize Internet — and, by extension, to acknowledge a deep shift in the way that we think about the online world.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Playing With Billions (D.C. Denison, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2002/1229/coverstory_1.htm>
Who wants to be a millionaire? No one. That's so last millennium. Today, it's all about billions, whether we like it or not, in every aspect of our lives. But do we understand everything that a billion means? A portrait of the new big number.

Whistleblower? (Dan Ackman, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110002826>
Enron's Sherron Watkins doesn't deserve to be "man of the year."

Heart And Soles (Robin Givhan, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43853-2002Dec27.html>
American women and their love affair with unsensible shoes.

Hard-Knock Lit (Michael Eric Dyson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/29/magazine/29BROWN.html>
Claude Brown was fated, it seems, to narrate the story of his troubled generation of black men.

Nice? Nahhhh! Naughty! (Heather Svokos, Lexington Herald Leader)
<http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/4811044.htm>
When my editor approached me about doing a story that involved committing the Seven Deadly Sins -- you know, get all your sinnin' out before the new year -- my initial reaction was: Will this involve killing someone?

Rub A Dub Dub, Books For The Tub (Cesar Love, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,55845,00.html>
Waterproof books, used mainly by skin divers and foul-weather hikers, are finding a new audience among people who simply enjoy a nice warm bath.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Police Ban Tax Protest In Singapore (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-138785.html>
Police in strictly controlled Singapore on Sunday refused to allow a protest march by a veteran opposition politician who is challenging the government's plans for a one percentage point hike in its goods and services tax.

Claims To Go Before ICJ Soon (Zulkifli Abd Rahman, The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/12/29/nation/zlisland&sec=nation>
The overlapping claims over Pulau Batu Putih between Malaysia and Singapore is expected to be brought to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) very soon, Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad said.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.