[MyAppleMenu] Dec 27, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 27 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Dec 27, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Mac Users Report MSN Blackout (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=17832>

Program Providing Students With Laptops Gains Momentum (Karen Kennedy-Hall, Courier-Post)
<http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/southjersey/m122702a.htm>
Soon it may be no more pencils, no more books for Cherry Hill's public school students.

A Disturbance In Film's Force (Frank Ahrens, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41867-2002Dec26.html>
Kodak is combating digital's growing appeal, but resistance may be futile.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
What About Preventive Maintenance? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#maintenance>
If you just take a little care, Jaguar will keep on ticking without protest, and that makes me a happy camper.

Taking Back Control Of Your iPod (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2484>
I bought my tunes and I want to play them anyway I want, and that includes using the iPod to move them from one computer to another.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Fair Use And Abuse (Gary Stix, Scientific American)
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?colID=7&articleID=0002080A-730B-1DF7-9733809EC588EEDF>
Get set for an overdue national debate about consumer rights in the digital age.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Sony Upbeat About Broadband In HK (Ben Kwok, South China Morning Post)
<http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/communications/0,39001141,39104920,00.htm>
Sony's foray into Hong Kong's broadband market has been disappointing, but the firm remains optimistic.

The Year Ahead: Top Ten Technologies To Watch (Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2127608,00.html>
Robots, cars, power and light. Just some of the sectors that'll see action next year.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
A Fight For Freedom Of Speech (Eric Foner and Glenda Gilmore, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-foner27dec27,0,3740461.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Dissent doesn't mean a lack of patriotism.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Our Not-So-Distant Cousin (Lisa Brooks, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/27/opinion/27BROO.html>
Comparing the genome of humans to that of mice gives us a glimpse into the history of both of our genomes over the 75 million years since we last shared a common ancestor, a species that was a small mammal.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Deep South, Deep Fried (Rob Walker, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/27/travel/escapes/27CANE.html>
The plantations along the Cane River Trail bring a steady stream of tourists to Natchitoches, La., but the best reason to visit is the meat pies.

White Christmas In The Dollhouse (Lonnae O'Neal Parker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42123-2002Dec26.html>
We reached a quiet milestone in my house this Christmas. We bought my youngest daughter her first white doll. In truth, my husband bought it. I'm not sure I would have been able to actually lay down the cash, but my husband did so if not with my blessing, at least without my vehement opposition.

Hide And Seek On Saturday Is Out, But Pencil In Sunday For Tag (Emily Yoffe, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-yoffe27dec27,0,7148332.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
In our passion to perfect and protect our children, are we damaging something inside them?

Where The Trail Goes Cold (Edward Marriott, Prospect Magazine)
<http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/ArticleView.asp?accessible=yes&P_Article=11741>
Travel literature has had three great periods, the last being the 1980s. Now it is finished.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Singapore Refutes 'Wild' KL Allegations (Brendan Pereira, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,162825,00.html?>
Calling the recent allegations reported in the Malaysian media 'wild and irresponsible', a Foreign Ministry spokesman said they were 'wrong both in fact and law'.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
StarHub Offers Home Phone Lines (Natalie Soh, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,162826,00.html?>
Residential phone users now have a choice of operators with StarHub's new service and end of SingTel's monopoly.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.