[MyAppleMenu] Dec 25, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 25 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
The Jaguar Report: Can You Believe All Those Problem Reports? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macintouch.com/>
Unfortunately, many of the problem reports you read at various Mac Web sites do are simply published without any attempt to monitor their accuracy or quality. Editors are not editing. They are not taking the time to verify the reports or investigate what might be causing a problem. In that sense, the sites become message boards, not news outlets.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Confirmation: Entourage X Is Sold Separately From Office v.X (Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/archives.html#note_402>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Steve, A January Expo Is Still A Bad Idea (John Manzione, MacNET 2.0)
<http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=223_0_1_0_M>
I hope someday you and the rest of Apple’s executives will take a close look at the negative impact of holding an Expo two weeks after Christmas, and the positive impact of holding one 6-8 weeks prior to Christmas.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Whre It Is 'Struggle And Weep' Rather Than 'Plug And Play' (Graham K Rogers, Bangkok Post)
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/25Dec2002_data60.html>
Exploring the wireless on-ramp to the information highway with a Palm PDA, iMac and a Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone.

No Excuse For Not Creating Great Digital Media (George Mann, Bangkok Post)
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/25Dec2002_datacol73.html>
Now you can have the same equipment as Hollywood moguls.

Switching To The Mac For The Java Developer (Benoit Marchal, Developer.com)
<http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/1559241>
In this series of articles, I will explore porting Java applications to Mac OS X. I assume you already are familiar with Java, Swing, and AWT, so I will concentrate on the Mac OS X aspects only.

Powerlogix's Series 133 Dual 1GHz G4 Upgrade (Mike Breeden, Accelerate Your Mac!)
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/powerlogix_g4_dual_1ghz/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
'No-Touch' Typing For Disabled (Paulo Rebelo, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55539,00.html>
In Brazil, physically disabled individuals may no longer need to buy expensive software to operate computers and surf the Web, thanks to a free application developed by programmers at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.

How The Web Will Change Campaigns (Matthew Hindman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/25/opinion/25HIND.html>
The Internet was supposed to change the nature of politics. Technology would bring participatory democracy to a new level, ushering in a sort of Jefferson-meets-the-Jetsons era. But as the new Congress prepares to convene next month, a look at the Web's role in the recent midterm elections reveals that so far, such claims are as inflated as the predictions that the Internet would bankrupt bricks-and-mortar businesses.

All I Want For Christmas Is The Presumption Of Innocence (Matthew Gast, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2457>
The presumpution of innocence has long served as a check on intrusive governments, and it is one of the pillars of our criminal justice system. Demagogues often attempt to weaken it by presenting a false dichotomy between the abstract concept of rights and a tangible feeling of security, often conjuring up criminal demons to frighten us into choosing the latter.

Pioneer Press Writer Turns Music Thief (Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Saint Paul Pioneer Press)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/technology/personal_technology/>
This is the sort of thing that makes music-label executives break out in hives. I suppose I can see why.

Top Ten Web-Design Mistakes Of 2002 (Jakob Nielsen, Useit.com)
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html>
Every year brings new mistakes. In 2002, several of the worst mistakes in Web design related to poor email integration. The number one mistake, however, was lack of pricing information, followed by overly literal search engines.

Bring On The Web Services War (Charles Cooper, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2008-1082-978634.html>
Stratton Sclavos has seen this movie before. Just as a new technology begins to see the light, the computer industry gets roiled by a divisive battle over standards and specifications.

Linux For The Wal-Mart Crowd (Brendan I. Koerner, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.01/view.html?pg=3>
Early reviews are mixed, but Robertson insists that everyone loves a bargain.

Broadband About-Face (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-978804.html>
The broadband race is making a U-turn, as Web giants such as Yahoo, MSN and now America Online head away from plans to run their own high-speed Net access services and move toward branding partnerships with the Baby Bells and other heavyweights.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Small Amount Of Fish In Diet Is Said To Yeild Big Benefits (Donald G. McNeil Jr., New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/25/health/25FISH.html>
Men who eat seafood as seldom as once a month may cut their risk of the most common kind of stroke by more than 40 percent, a new study by the Harvard School of Public Health has found.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Year Of The Restaurant (GarceAnn Walden, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/12/25/FD41610.DTL>
Value is the key word as owners and chefs regroup, revamp.

Elfinomics 101 (Michael Judge, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110002819>
He knows if you've been bad or good. That's why he makes the big bucks.

Tin Pan Alley's Gift (Jody Rosen, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-rosen25dec25,0,6029629.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Sixty years ago, American soldiers facing their first holiday season overseas adopted an unlikely pop song as their wartime anthem.

Let's Get Real (Regina Schrambling, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-entertain25dec25.story>
The party pros have filled bookshelves with glossy impossibility. Don't buy into it. Here's how to have your party and enjoy it too.

Wine Prices Drop Sharply, A Good Reason For Cheer (Amanda Hesser, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/25/dining/25PRIC.html>
While it has not been the best time to travel, invest in the stock market or indulge in truffles, there has never been a better time to buy and drink wine.

A Holiday Made For Believing (John Horgan, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/25/opinion/25HORG.html>
I think I finally understand the attraction of Christmas. Actually, my wife deserves the credit.

Eat, Drink, Be Merry (Brendan O'Neill, Spiked Online)
<http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006DBA1.htm>
Guess who's plastering posters around the UK this Christmas with the words 'I wish the baby Jesus had never been born' on them? A Satanic group dreading another celebration of the Christ child's birth? Radical atheists who want to open our eyes to the futility of religion?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Christmas Poem (Lester Sanford, Highway7)
<http://www.highway7.com/t_iywords/iyw_9912_xmaslestersanford.html>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Keeps Atoll Off Limits (Zuhrin Azam Ahmad, The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/12/25/nation/jbputih&sec=nation>
A group of reporters who chartered a boat to get a closer look at Pulau Batu Putih said they felt an “intense presence” of Singapore’s authorities in the waters surrounding the island.

Singapore Says World Court Should Rule On Disputed Island (Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1959725>
The fate of a rocky island at the heart of a festering territorial dispute between Singapore and Malaysia should be decided by the World Court, the Singapore government said.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.