[MyAppleMenu] Dec 22, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 22 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Dec 22, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Poll: Dock, Bottom 'Best' (Dominique Fidele, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5722>
Two thirds of Mac OS X users leave their Dock in the default position at the bottom of the screen, a Macworld Online reader poll shows.

Q&A With Lorin Rivers (Philip Michaels, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/01/macbeat/rivers/>
Longtime Mac developers who've opted to come out with Windows versions of their products can usually count on howls of protest from users who accuse the company of abandoning the Mac platform. That hasn't happened to Real Software after its October announcement that the next version of its RealBasic development software, due out in early 2003, would run on both Mac and Windows platforms.

David Turnley: Documenting The Human Condition (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/turnley/>
"It was the first time I had edited on an Apple computer in the field. It was seamless and it was amazing to be able to offer an editor an edited set of photographs, with captions -- within several hours of my having made the images."

Hans Zimmer: Speaking Through Music (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/zimmer/>
Throughout countless scores, Macs have long been a staple in Zimmer’s arsenal of tools.

Jack Dangers: Master Of Dub Electronica (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/dangers/>
Dangers bought his first Mac when he moved to the U.S. "I never looked back," says the beatsmith. "I use Logic Audio and I use the TDM plugins running off of the ProTools hardware in Logic."

Chimera Web Browser Receives New Update (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/12/20/chimera>
This release offers improved stability, a global history tab, improved RealPlayer support, Dock bookmarks, support for Rendezvous under Mac OS 10.2.3 and later, and much more.

NetNewsWire Pro 1.0b1 Now Available (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/12/21/ranchero>
The first beta release of NetNewsWire Pro adds a Weblog editor, a notepad, a Find command, AppleScript support, and more to the popular application.

SF Filmmaker Uses Solar Power To Edit Environmental Documentary (Colleen Valles, Associated Press)
<http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20021220-1234-ca-solarfilmediting.html>
The only energy Jack Bibbo had -- 345 watts in eight batteries -- went to editing 50 hours of documentary film to under two hours on a G4 computer.

Bridging The Education Gap (Tanya Mitchell, The Republican Journal)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1466&dept_id=182766&newsid=6460046&PAG=461&rfi=9>
One thing the students are out to prove is that seventh graders can be responsible iBook users.

Apple Previews Script Editor 2.0 For Mac OS X (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=17812>
Apple has posted a preview release of Script Editor 2.0pr, a Mac OS X application that can read, write, record, and save AppleScript scripts.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Databases For All Reasons (Troy Dreier, PC Magzine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,771061,00.asp>
FileMaker Pro 6 proves that a highly capable desktop database needn't be complex and intimidating.

Mac 911: Get With The Program (Christopher Breen, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/01/secrets/mac911/>
In this month's Mac 911, I explore several OS and application workarounds, such as finding alternative spelling checkers, moving contacts to and from Address Book, making Ink work, and running two versions of iTunes. I also offer tips for increasing AirPort range.

The Browser Wars Revisited (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://macnightowl.com/newsletters/2002/12/160.htm#browsers>
I no longer regard Internet Explorer as my default browser, although I keep using it, particularly for sites that do not display well in the competition.

OS X Switcher's Guide I (Zeldman.com)
<http://www.zeldman.com/essentials/osxswitch1/>
It’s a ritual as old as moss. You’ve unwrapped your new Mac. You’ll spend the next two weeks installing all your applications, utilities, peripheral drivers, accessories, custom Photoshop palettes, and painstakingly hand-crafted email filters. Not to mention restoring your preferences before finally moving all your documents to the new machine.

VPN On Mac OS X (Jason Deraleau, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/12/20/vpn.html>
Virtual Private Networking is a valuable tool for system and network administrators. It's an excellent way to reduce the costs of multiple site and remote access networks, while simultaneously increasing the overall security of your network.

Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo And Elite Duo Keyboard/Mouse Combinations (Lars Dueck, MacUpgradeZone.com)
<http://www.macupgradezone.com/review.html-logitechkeymice>
These cordless keyboards and mice are top-notch and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a truly useful keyboard and mouse replacement.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Dial-Up Revealtions (Meg Hourihan, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/12/19/megnut.html>
Now I really get it: giving people multiple ways to access their data, offering multiple views of content through a variety of interfaces, allows flexibility far beyond what we get through a standard browser.

In E-Mail Software, The Medium Is The Mess (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20494-2002Dec21.html>
Open-source development, in which programmers let anybody revise their products' core workings, can seem like a strange way to write software. But in this case, it may be the only way that works.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
WiFi's Widening World (Alan S. Kay, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20427-2002Dec21.html>
WiFi has been the buzz this holiday season, and this trend in computer fashion makes a lot of sense.

Users Binge At The Wireless Buffet (Carmen Nobel, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,796265,00.asp>
Wireless carriers are backpedaling on unlimited service offerings as smart customers figure out how to patch their phones to their laptops to take undue advantage of the all-you-can-eat data deals.

SOAP 1.2 Spec Takes Next Step (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/12/19/021219hnsoapadvance.xml>
W3C on Thursday announced that SOAP 1.2 has advanced to the "Candidate Recommendation" stage, meaning developers are now being called on to implement the proposed Web services specification.

Pop-Ups Add New Twist (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-978616.html>
Pop-up advertisements, already the bane of millions of Web surfers, are becoming more intrusive.

IBM Plans Open-Source Storage Strategy (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-978641.html>
To encourage the broadest possible support for its forthcoming "Storage Tank" technology, IBM will release an open-source version of the software needed to let servers tap into the next-generation storage system.

Data Strips People Of Their Humanity (Andy Oram, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2464>
One can rant on for hours about the political meaning of this information screening, but what concerns us as information processing professionals is the light it casts on data gathering and data mining.

Government Spying (On You) Keeps Growing (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000677.shtml#000677>
This government believes it has a right, and a need, to know everything about us. This same government has a mania for secrecy that goes far beyond anything in recent history.

Terrorists On The Net? Who Cares? (Noah Shachtman, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,56935,00.html>
To all those Chicken Littles clucking frantically about the imminent threat of a terrorist attack on U.S. computer networks, a new report says: Knock it off.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Fall (And Potential Rise) Of Liberalism (Joshua Zeitz, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-zeitz22dec22,0,7724383.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Democrats are now faced with two options: They can seek to redraw the political landscape and invent a new rhetorical dichotomy.

The Media Bias Myth (Neal Gabler, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-gabler22dec22001444,0,2873283.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Liberal? Conservative? It's not about ideology. The real battle is over the proper role of journalism.

The Consequences Of Ambition (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20344-2002Dec20.html>
Washington is nothing if not an arena of ambition. This has always been so, but never more than now.

Paging Dr. Perfect (Maureen Dowd, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/22/opinion/22DOWD.html>
How could the president not finish him off, when the hapless Mississippi senator not only supported Strom Thurmond over Thomas Dewey in '48, but Jack Kemp over George Bush père in '88?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
More Encounters Between Bears And Humans At Yosemite (Dean E. Murphy, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/22/national/22YOSE.html>
The black bears here are acting up again, popping out car windows and ransacking campsites, and park officials are struggling to understand why.

Translating Sony Into English (Douglas McGray, Fast Company)
<http://www.fastcompany.com/online/66/dispatches.html>
Mark Hanson and his marketing group sit on Sony's border between Japan and the United States. The big question: What to do when that border becomes a gap.

Full Moon Effect On Behavior Minimal, Studies Say (John Roach, National Geographic News)
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/12/1218_021218_moon.html>
"The case for full moon effects has not been made."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Face Time: Danny Murtagh (Sam Whiting, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/12/22/CM181944.DTL>
Seventeen thousand white lights outline the Embarcadero Center, and Danny Murtagh has to make sure they all burn bright.

Buying Gifts, We Traverse Afar (Jerry Haines, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17717-2002Dec20.html>
Anticipatory holiday shopping fever abroad actually has several advantages.

Nut Cracking (Jonathan Reynolds, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/22/magazine/22FOOD.html>
I have always thought of chestnuts as being indigenous to France, because that's where I discovered them, in my impressionable 20's. Here, we generally associated them with Christmas and roasting, thanks in no small part to Mel Torme's song about Jack Frost nipping at your nose. But in French hands they become a marvel of subtlety.

Free Speech -- Virtually (Jennifer Balderama, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9204-2002Dec18.html>
Since many bloggers have no background in publishing, they often come to the medium unaware of the rules that apply, and complaints are becoming more common.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Refreshing, But Is Change What The PAP Really Needs? (Lydia Lim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,161841-1040507940,00.html?>
As the third generation leaders set out to refresh the party, it remains to be seen if they can take into account these differing views and find ways to address the concerns of both party members and Singaporeans.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.