[MyAppleMenu] Dec 3, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 3 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
eMac Display "Raster Shift" Problem; Appel Reseller Comments (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20021203073400588>

Where Lies Apple's Future? (Dennis Sellers, ComputerUser)
<http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2112,5,18,1,1201,02.html>
Apple's future looks rosy in one area (the consumer market), sorta promising in a second (business/enterprise), and gloomy in a third (education). Let's look at each area in turn.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News

West Virginia To Join Microsoft Appeal (Joseph Menn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-micro3dec03,0,4566818.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
The state of West Virginia said Monday that it would join Massachusetts in an appeal of a federal judge's order imposing modest restrictions on the business conduct of Microsoft Corp.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
No Big Pickup Seen In IT Spending (Ellen McCarthy, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A927-2002Dec2.html>
Nearly two years ago, many experts predicted that a rebound in information technology spending was just around the corner. But the technology business is still waiting.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
AOL Lifts Curtain On Version 9.0 (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-975906.html>
America Online on Tuesday previewed the upcoming version 9.0 of its flagship AOL service, showing off an early rendition of the software that includes many new personalization and multimedia features.

Windows Costs Less Than Linux. A Bit. Sometimes - MS Study (John Lettice, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/28408.html>
Windows 2000 servers are cheaper to run than Linux ones, sometimes, says an IDC study which was by strange coincidence sponsored by Microsoft.

AOL To Offer A New Vision (David D. Kirkpatrick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/03/technology/03AOL.html>
In a pivotal and long-awaited presentation to investors, AOL Time Warner is expected to disclose a radical shift in strategy for its flagging AOL division today.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Can Global Warming Be Studied Too Much? (Andrew C. Revkin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/03/science/earth/03CLIM.html>
Many climate experts say talking about more research will simply delay decisions that need to be made now to avert serious harm from global warming.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
The Inner Einstein (Thomas Hayden, U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021209/misc/9einstein.htm>
The more we see that image, the less we seem to know about the real Einstein and the work that made him famous.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Why Do Book Cost So Much? (Christopher Dreher, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/12/03/prices/index.html>
Thirty bucks for a new hardcover! How book prices got so out of hand, who's responsible and what it will take to make reading more affordable in the future.

>From Fat To Phat: An Author's Happy Ending (Lonnae O'Neal Parker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1261-2002Dec2.html>
In a world that rewards the aility to make folks stare, transfixed,w hen their every inclination ahd been to turn away, LaValle is the lick.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Malaysia States Rules For Talks With Singapore (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/12/3/nation/mfaction&sec=nation>
Malaysia wants to see some “action” and sincerity from Singapore before it sits down with the island republic to resolve the water issue, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.