[MyAppleMenu] Aug 30, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 30 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Aug 30, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
The Little Bugs In Apple's Stores (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2002/tc20020830_5307.htm>
Retail guru, Machead, and author Paco Underhill loves the consumer-friendly emporiums, but he says Jobs & Co. should do some fine-tuning.

Working The Web: Newsreaders (Ben Hammersley, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,781838,00.html>
I don't mean to brag but it's 8.30am and I've already got up to date with 75 different websites.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple In NY Times: Thanks To 100,000 New Yorkers (Greg Grusby, O'Grady's PowerPage)
<http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=9863>
Apple took out a humorous, full page, full color ad in today's Business Section.

The iBooks Are Here (Art Mayers, Lincoln County Weekly)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5198120&BRD=1467&PAG=461&dept_id=188527&rfi=6>
"It is going to be fun."

Apple's New Xserve Product Could Blow Away Competitiors (Edison D. Ong, Manila Bulletin)
<http://www.mb.com.ph/news.php?art=18020&sect=8&fname=IT02082918020f.txt>
It is not that the server products of IBM, HP and Sun Microsystems are in worst shape; however, they can do better. If not, then Apple’s Xserver, the new kid on the block, could blow them away.

Apple Updates 10.2 Dev Tools (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/30/0122253>

Apple Servers Square Off (Evan Koblentz, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,493829,00.asp>
Although Apple Computer Inc.'s newly available Power Mac G4 server and its Xserve computer cost the same in their base configurations there are differences between the two models.

Apple Invites Open Source To Rendezvous (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-955988.html>
The Mac maker said it plans by next month to release to the open-source community the technology it calls Rendezvous, a technique for allowing networked devices to automatically find each other.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Ears Full (Nan Anastasia, MPG Newspapers)
<http://oldcolony.southofboston.com/display/inn_news/news07.txt>
My favorite gadgets tend to be small, shiny and so cool that they don't entirely work yet.

Apple's DVD Lockdown (Scott Rosenberg)
<http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2002/08/29.html#a101>
Apple found the DMCA to be a pilable tool, easily adaptable for its own ends that have nothing to do with protecting intellectual property.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
True Love With Jaguar Must Wait For The Update (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/1554338>
If you don't have a compelling reason to install Jaguar today, wait for the inevitable 10.2.1 update.

Meow (Doc Searls)
<http://doc.weblogs.com/2002/08/30#meow>
So far, Jaguar has been spotty for me.

P2P Networking With Rendezvous And iChat (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/08/28/rendezvous.html>
You might be thinking, "I'm already using AIM, MSN, or Yahoo, wy should I care about Rendezvous?"

What's So Great About Mac OS X 10.2? Networking! (Josh Taylor, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2878747,00.html>
Our reviews teams thinks networking is among the new operating system's most compelling enhancements.

Netscape 7.0 - A Winner! But For Who? (Kevin Bedell, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1921>
I think in the end the real winners are all of us consumers who want a high-quality software that meets our needs, and not just the needs of the company that builds it.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
.Net Server's New Name Suggests Delay (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-956054.html>
Microsoft has once again tweaked the name of the successor to Windows 2000 Server, in a move that suggests its official release won't come until next year.

The Pen As Mighty As The Keyboard (Chris Taylor, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,42148,FF.html>
Why tablet PCs could spell the end of paper trails.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Platforms (Joel Spolsky)
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Platforms.html>
The best way to kill a platform is to make it hard for developers to build on it.

Publishers Ruining E-Books' Prospects (Steve Outing, E-Media Tidbits)
<http://www.poynter.org/tidbits/2002_08_25_tidbitsarchive.htm#85394157>
"When I purchase a paperback, I can share it with my wife or friend. That is not possible with an e-book."

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Getting Past WLAN 'Apathy' (Jim Wagner, InternetNews.com)
<http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/article.php/10799_1454931>

Google Searches For Exposure--Overseas (Stefanie Olsen, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-956000.html>
Gogle is quietly expanding advertising sales efforts in several European markets and Japan, potentially setting the stage for a renewed turf battle with rival Overture.

Why This Grammy Winner Gives Away Her Music (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2878826,00.html>
And while this model may not work for Britney, it certainly works for Janis Ian and--as a quick Net search will tell you--thousands of other artists as well.

The Death Of EJB As We Know It? (Ted Neward, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1922>
People are starting to recognize some of the frailty implicit in the EJB specification.

Microsoft Shutters BizTalk.Org (Mary Jo Foley, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,494991,00.asp>
With little fanfare, Microsoft Corp. has shuttered its BizTalk.Org XML schema warehouse.

A Universal Tool To Rescue Old Files From Obsolescence (Anne Eisenberg, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/29/technology/circuits/29NEXT.html>
What is needed, some archivists argue, is a kind of computer Esperanto -- a common preservation system that can read and present today's formats and the thousands that will follow in a simple, standard way that can be emulated or mimicked on whatever computers lie ahead.

Ambient Findability (Peter Morville, Semantic Studios)
<http://semanticstudios.com/publications/semantics/000008.php>
I want to be able to find anything, anywhere, anytime.

Working The Web: Newsreaders (Ben Hammersley, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,781838,00.html>
I don't mean to brag but it's 8.30am and I've already got up to date with 75 different websites.

Standard Practice (Aaron Walsh, New Architect)
<http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2453/na0902b/index.html>
Weighing the risks and rewards of standards.

The Pen As Mighty As The Keyboard (Chris Taylor, Business 2.0)
<http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,42148,FF.html>
Why tablet PCs could spell the end of paper trails.

Web Services And The Search For Really Big Prime Numbers (Eoin Lane, ONJava.com)
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/08/28/wsdc.html>
What do searching for extraterrestrials, curing cancer, and finding big prime numbers all have in common? These problems are all being attacked with grid computing, a a technique of breaking a large problem into small tasks that can be computed independently.

Apple Invites Open Source To Rendezvous (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-955988.html>
The Mac maker said it plans by next month to release to the open-source community the technology it calls Rendezvous, a technique for allowing networked devices to automatically find each other.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Come On In (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1302546>
Ho wbad is American food? And whose fault is it?

Chasing Steinbeck... With Children (Rachel F. Elson, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2002/08/30/cortez_journey/index.html>
Andromeda Romanao-Lax set out to retrace the writer's path to the Sea of Cortez. But while Steinbeck's book bears little mention of his wife, Romano-Lax's is driven by the presence of her family.

On Bubble Wrap (John Powers, LA Weekly)
<http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/41/on-powers.php>
The Nation vs. The Weekly Standard.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.