[MyAppleMenu] Aug 24, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 24 21:05:02 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Aug 24, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Unleashes Jaguar Today (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=5167>
Mac OS X version 10.2, code-named "Jaguar", is now on sale.

Business Thrust Continues Apple's OS Jag (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-955208.html>
Much of the buzz over Apple's Mac OS X 10.2 has focused on desktop computers, but the company also has a new server operating system that's been refined for businesses.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
AppleScript Studio: A Marvelously Easy Environment (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/08/cheeseman/>
"Just about every day you see a new Cocoa application that has been written in AppleScript Studio."

Is Our Children Learning? (Julie Landry, Red Herring)
<http://www.redherring.com/insider/2002/08/classroom082102.html>
Each year more than $5 billion is spent on computers in the classroom. But it's the tech companies that benefit.

Apple 'Jaguar' Comes Out At Night (Michael Singer, Internet.com)
<http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1451851>
Macintosh enthusiasts began lining up Friday for their copy of Jaguar.

Jaguar Launch Events Pack Retail Stores (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/24.jaguar.php>
"This is the greatest night in Apple's software history."

Apple To Unleash Jaguar OS Upgrade (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-955063.html>
Apple plans a contrarian celebration for the anniversary of the Windows 95 launch, unleashing a new operating system aimed at stealing customers away from Microsoft.

US Mac User Spurs Apple Into .Mac Action (MacUser)
<http://www.pcpro.co.uk/front_index.php?ignck=1&ip=1&page=%2Fnews%2Fnews_story.php%3Fid%3D31766&domain=macuser>
A disgruntled UK Mac user has had his faith in Apple restored, thanks to an email he sent to Steve Jobs.

Apple May Cut Original iMac Shipments (Matthew Broersma, ZDNet UK)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2121285,00.html>
Is the market big enough for two models of iMac? Apple may not think so, as a report suggests it may be stopping shipments of 15-inch models in the autumn.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Going To The BIG Store (Joe C. Carson, Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/alust/oped/All_Mac_Considered/Archives/carson_bigstore.shtml>
I think I will have to go and visit the new Apple Store at the Grove more often. It managed to seem like a place made just for me.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Jaguar: New Mac Operating System A Well-Stuffed Breed (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/practicalmac/134520574_ptmacc24.html>
Current OS X users will find individual changes and additions not entirely compelling, but when taken as a whole, Jaguar is a worthwhile upward move.

Apple's Update Takes The Next step (Jason Snell, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/08/features/osx.html>
With Mac OS X, Apple has to carefully balance the addition of innovative features with productivity boosts and bug fixes. Jaguar addresses both needs in exciting ways.

Apple's Baby Steps Serve Its Market (Michael J. Miller, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,481769,00.asp>
OS X is clearly on an integrated path, and based on Jaguar, Apple seems to be doing a good job of making that work.

Hands On With The Quicksilver G4 Speaker Grilles (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/23.grille.php>
The Speaker Grille Quicksilver G4 Collection sports a simple well-executed design and is well worth the money for the peace of mind it offers.

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar (John Rizzo, ZDNet)
<http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/42/2/1776.html>
The price is a tough blow if you recently purchased version 10.1, but we still urge you to consider upgrading.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Is This One Nation, Under Blog? (Lia Steakley, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,54740,00.html>
The rumors of a weblog nation may be vastly overrated.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Is Our Children Learning? (Julie Landry, Red Herring)
<http://www.redherring.com/insider/2002/08/classroom082102.html>
Each year more than $5 billion is spent on computers in the classroom. But it's the tech companies that benefit.

IBM Building Emergency IM Network (Michael Kanellos, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-954809.html>
IBM and a consortium of government agencies in the Washington DC area are creating a wireless emergency network that will allow police, fire and safety agencies to communicate via instant messaging.

Know Thy WLAN (P.J. Connolly, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/ne/xml/02/08/26/020826neairmag.xml>
Securing and troubleshooting wireless networks invovles unique challenges not found in wired networks, and fortunately, we've found an excellent tool for doing so.

File Sharing: Guilty As Charged? (Damien Cave, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/23/liebowitz_redux/index.html?x>
New numbers on declining music sales could mean that MP3 trading really is hurting CD sales. But that still doesn't mean we should lock up the pirates.

Standardization Not Always An Answer (Simon St. Laurent, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1890>
As standards address more and more specialized fields, it often becomes less clear whether the benefits of "everyone's doing it" outweigh the costs of "we all have to do it the same way."

Choosing A Blogging Package For Students (Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1894>
Selecting blogging software is becoming increasingly tricky, in part because there are so many packages out there, and because so many of them are so good.

Chicagotribune.com Strike Countdown (Adrian Holovaty)
<http://holovaty.com/>
Relying on client-side information to produce content that aims to be journalistically sound is a bad idea.

Wireless, Defenseless (Lincoln D. Stein, New Architect)
<http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2445/na0902h/index.html>
Protect your wireless network before someone takes advantage.

StarHub Launches Singapore's Largest Wireless 'Hotzone' (Internet.com)
<http://www.80211-planet.com/news/article/0,4000,1481_1446971,00.html>
A wireless broadband hub has been launched at the Suntec City, making it Singapore's largest public wireless 'hotzone' to date.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
File Sharing: Guilty As Charged? (Damien Cave, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/23/liebowitz_redux/index.html?x>
New numbers on declining music sales could mean that MP3 trading really is hurting CD sales. But that still doesn't mean we should lock up the pirates.

Does The Universe Exist If We're Not Looking? (Tim Folger, Discover)
<http://www.discover.com/june_02/featuniverse.html>
Eminent physicist John Wheeler says he has only enough time left to work on one idea: that human consciousness shapes not only the present but the past as well.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Time Running Out For The 30-Second Commercial (John Billett, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-391357,00.html>
TV advertisers are losing their captive audience.

Home Decor Magazines Take The Gloss Off The Chic (Linda Hales, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55568-2002Aug23.html>
Voyeurism is out. Getting is in. Just buy it.

How Far Away? Far Enough! (Steven Erlanger, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/25/travel/SEY.html>
The Seychelles, a nation of islands in the Indian Ocean, have dazzling scuba diving in waters that can wash away a world of troubles.

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
Penis Puppetry Show Opens In Los Angeles (Gina Keating, Reuters)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=638&e=1&u=/nm/20020823/en_nm/leisure_puppets_dc_2>
Some actors use their eyes. Other perform from the heart. David "Friendy" Friend and Simon Morley rely on an organ not previously known for its acting skills.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
StarHub Launches Singapore's Largest Wireless 'Hotzone' (Internet.com)
<http://www.80211-planet.com/news/article/0,4000,1481_1446971,00.html>
A wireless broadband hub has been launched at the Suntec City, making it Singapore's largest public wireless 'hotzone' to date.

Singapore Economy 'Needs Surgery' (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2201671.stm>
Singapore prime minister Goh Chok Tong has warned of the growing economic threat of competition from China.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.