[MyAppleMenu] Apr 25, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 25 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

DVD Lovers Burn Out (Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Knight Ridder Newspapers)
<http://newsobserver.com/business/story/1322660p-1359982c.html>
The bottom line: If you're buying a computer for DVD authoring, consider making it a Macintosh.

Apple I Computer Sells For $14,000 (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-892293.html>
The cost to buy a piece of computing history isn't what it used to be.

=== news =============

Apple's Cinema Tools Wins 2002 Vidy Award (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13881>

Real: Licenses Could Kill MPEG-4 (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-892219.html>
Proposed licensing fees for MPEG-4 could mean its early death on the personal computer, RealNetworks CEO Rob Glaser said in a press conference Wednesday.

Reader: MS Pulls Plug On Project 4 For Mac (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13883>

ComputerEdge Magazine Lists Top 10 In Techies: Jobs At #3, Gates At #8 (Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/04/25.7.shtml>
"In many ways, Jobs has been the driving vision and soul of the personal computer revolution, actively leading the leaders of personal computing."

iMovie Launches Animated Career (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/hed/macsinaction/sheffield/>
"iMovie performed brilliantly! The editing went very quickly... and I got an 'A' in the Art exam."

Apple CEO Fred Anderson Files To Sell 100,000 Shares Of Apple Stock (Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2002/04/25.1.shtml>

Apple Computer Retail Site Planned For Mall In Novi (Neal Haldane, Detroit News)
<http://www.detnews.com/2002/technology/0204/25/b02-473829.htm>
Apple Computer is planning to open its first retail outlet in Michigan at Twelve Oaks Mall, possibly by this summer.

The Workaround: 32 Steps To Frustration (Peter Meyers, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/25/technology/circuits/25WORK.html?tntemail0>
Some software companies often don't even try to fix what is wrong with their product. They say it's up to you to "work around" the problem.

Nvidia Vs. ATI: The Struggle For Mac Graphics Dominance (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/17422.html>
Graphics card firm Nvidia has taken over Apple's desktop line from competitor ATI - and is aiming to make it a clean sweep with the portable line.

=== opinions =============

Why We Love Our Macs (Kevin Webb, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/webb/02/0425.html>
Only Apple builds computers which capture the imagination of users.

=== reviews =============

Black And White (Bill Stiteler, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/blackandwhite.shtml>
I found the game so incredibly aggravating that I had to leave my apartment so I would have more space in which to swear.

Windows Lover Asks Burning DVD Question (Jim Coates, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/3135146.htm?menu>
Anybody who absolutely needs to get into burining home DVDs should move over to Macintosh.

XP On The PowerPC (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/04/24/xp_on_mac.html>
Some Windows users have been looking at the new iMac and iBook alongside traditional PC hardware offerings. Why not?

=== internet top news =============

The Browser That Roared (Lev Grossman, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020429-232589,00.html>
Enter Mozilla, Web-surfing software by the people, for the people. Has Microsoft met its match?

Hav U 4Gotten IM? (Steve Outing, Editors & Publisher)
<http://www.editorandpublisher.com/editorandpublisher/features_columns/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1472695>
Instant messaging is promising publishing tool.

=== internet news =============

Viacom Loses Claim Over MTV Domain Name (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,116232,00.html?>
Viacom failed in its bid when the dispute resolution sole panelist found that the word 'MTV' used in the domain name is descriptive and generic and the company was unable to prove it has 'clear or unequivocal' exclusive rights over the word.

Google's Gaffe (Paul Prescod, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/24/google.html>
Google's choice was technologically poor, compared to that of eBay and Amazon.

Kicking Out The Cuckoo (Edd Dumbill, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/24/taglines.html>
Despite the name, web services have increasingly little to do with the Web as we know it, and those at the forefront of its development seem to have little fondness for the W3C or its technologies.

.Net Seen Gaining Steam In Dev Projects (Daniel Sholler, Meta Group)
<http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2860227,00.html>
Global 2000 organizations will have heterogeneous application environments indefinitely, but .Net share will increase to 30 percent of enterprise development projects as J2EE use stabilizes at 40 percent by 2004.

=== wintel top news =============

Inside The Xbox (Dennis McCauley, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/25/opening_the_xbox/index.html>
Sales have been disappointing, and the co-creator of Microsoft's game console jus tquit his job -- a day before a book portraying him as a hero hit the bookstores.

=== wintel news =============

Xbox Game Sales Wilt In March (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-892079.html>
The console ended up barely registering in the top 20 for the full month.

Gates Vs. States: Who Came Out On Top? (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-892447.html>
Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates clearly dominated the courtroom during his three days on the witness stand, legal experts said. But states' attorney Steven Kuney still managed to give the judge in the antitrust case a plan for achieving many of the trustbusters' goals.

Reader: MS Pulls Plug On Project 4 For Mac (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=13883>

Windows Developer Combats Code Critics (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-892562.html>
Using a personal computer would turn into a confusing and frustrating experience under antitrust sanctions sought against Microsoft by nine states, a Microsoft executive testified on Thursday.

Intel's New Bag Of Chips (John G Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-892134.html?tag=cd_mh>
Optimism was the main message from Intel CEO Craig Barrett during the company's shareholder meeting Thursday, as he and other executives introduced plans for new chips and improved chipmaking processes.

Microsoft: How To Catch A Linux Migrator (Peter Galli, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1884&a=25932,00.asp>
Microsoft is ratcheting up efforts to catch companies migrating from Unix to Linux before they make the switch.

AMD Gets Microsoft Support On New Chips (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cn/20020425/tc_cn/amd_gets_microsoft_support_on_new_chips>
AMD confirmed Wednesday that it will collaborate with Microsoft to tune Windows to run on its upcoming family of Hammer chips.

The Workaround: 32 Steps To Frustration (Peter Meyers, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/25/technology/circuits/25WORK.html?tntemail0>
Some software companies often don't even try to fix what is wrong with their product. They say it's up to you to "work around" the problem.

Trust Microsoft? You Say: No Way! (David Morgenstern, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2862567,00.html>
With the Trustworthy Computing encyclical in their hands, Microsoft's brass now must translate its message into doctrine, as well as actual products. Their sermon of warning--to expect slow, slow progress--fell on mostly deaf ears.

Windows .Net Server Now Due In Mid 2003 (Juan Carlos Perez, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/04/24/020424hndotnetdue.xml>
The middle of next year is Microsoft Corp.'s latest target release date for its new server operating system, called Windows .Net Server, as the company focuses on the product's security, a Microsoft official said Wednesday.

Fiorina Denis Merger Memos Mislead Shareholders (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-HP-Compaq-Trial.html>
Sighing several times in exasperation, Fiorina said Neal was drawing the wrong conclusions about the meaning of the charts because they were taken out of context, as if someone looked at selected snapshots instead of "the whole movie."

Gates: Custom Windows Could Run On PCs (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9780531-0.html>
Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates acknowledged Wednesday that an existing version of Windows for ATMs and other specialized machines that lets companies drop included components such as a browser could be configured to run on everyday computers.

Microsoft Keeps Low Profile At Conference (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-891524.html?tag=cd_mh>
It seemed like more than just a sign of the times when Microsoft failed to field a booth at the Streaming Media West conference here this week--especially since the software big-leaguer has been relentlessly pushing its latest, greatest (and as yet unreleased) media technology, Corona.

=== linux news =============

Microsoft: How To Catch A Linux Migrator (Peter Galli, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1884&a=25932,00.asp>
Microsoft is ratcheting up efforts to catch companies migrating from Unix to Linux before they make the switch.

=== reader : world =============

United In Denial (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38064-2002Apr24.html>
Nobody's facing the realities of an aging society.

=== reader : tech =============

Can Computer Books Be Well Written? (David Pogue, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/25/technology/circuits/25POGUE-EMAIL.html?tntemail0>
Thank heaven for Web sites like Amazon, where customers write reviews of books they've bought, warning you away from the turkeys and directing you toward the winners.

New 'Smart' Galleries, Wireless And Web Friendly (Karen Jones, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/24/arts/artsspecial/24JONE.html>
Hand-held computers have many uses -- but who would have thought they could take art home from a museum?

Banned In Dulles (Mickey Kaus, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=1008066>
>From now on, alas, no discussion of European social democracy, however lascivious, will be mature enough to alarm AOL's algorithms.

=== reader : life =============

Cone Head (Stephen King, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020422fa_FACT2>
And this is how I found myself unemployed and with a criminal record a month shy of my twenty-third birthday.

Art Of Destruction (Jesse Hamlin, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/04/24/DD233499.DTL>
Nostalgia, relief greet final stages of demolition for old de Young building.

The New York Sun's Not-So-Bright Debut (Eric Boehlert, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/04/25/nysun/index.html>
Its support for Israel is unwavering -- but New York's just-launched paper is a little shakier when it comes to editorial fundamentals.

One Ring To Rule Them All (Heather Havrilesky, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2002/04/25/wedding_porn/index.html>
>From post-"Bridget" fiction to ABC's frightening "The Bachelor," the wedding porn genre mates emasculated Mr. Rights with soulless, life-size Barbies.

A Little Wisdom Goes A Long Way For Quote Collector (Don Oldenburg, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44319-2002Apr24.html>
Forging famous people's words into little quote books, those miniature page-turners you see at every checkout counter, Criswell Freeman has spread the wisdom of Texas, Florida, California, New England, girlfriends, gardening, salesmen, cowboys, country music, teachers -- and God.

A Muse Full Of Dormers (Roland Merullo, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/25/garden/25SHRE.html>
The best-selling author Anita Shreve says that a white clapboard mansard-roof house on the coast of Maine has inspired three of her novels.

Lawrence Summers And His Tough Questions (Martin Van Der Werf, The Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i33/33a02901.htm>
In taking on sacred cows, will Harvard's new president change the university and redefine higher-education leadership?

=== singapore top news =============

Case Of Indonesian Militant Vs Singapore Postponed (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-101996.html>
South Jakarta's court postponed the hearing into Abu Bakr Bashir's complaint against Singapore until May 16 as no Singapore officials turned up for a second time.

=== singapore news =============

Tuck Into Gourmet Sandwiches (Jaime Ee, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,2276,43143,00.html?>
Bad sandwiches may be a thing of the past if Moomba restaurant's new offshoot - The Moomba Tuckshop - maintains the high quality of its menu.

MPH Reviewing Corporate Branding (Grace Tan, Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/companies/story/0,2276,43084,00.html?>
MPH Limited has embarked on a branding review to develop a new name and brand identity for its corporate structure. This will not affect the MPH Bookstores retail businesses which will continue to use its bookshop name.

Chee Plans Rally Outside Istana (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,116385,00.html?>
Opposition leader Chee Soon Juan is planning to hold a People Against Poverty rally outside the Istana on Wednesday to mark Labour Day.

Malaysia Catching Up Singapore In Business-Hub Game (Kim Sung-Jin, Korea Times)
<http://www.hankooki.com/kt_tech/200204/t2002042517110845110.htm>
The fruition of Malaysia's global competitveness as an investment destination can be witnessed in the multinational corporations' relocation of their regional headquarters from Singapore to Malaysia.

Goldman Says Singapore Pension Review Fears Overdone (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-101765.html>
Goldman Sachs analysts said the Singapore government could achieve its stated aim of increasing retirement savings in the pension scheme without negatively impacting real estate affordability.

Viacom Loses Claim Over MTV Domain Name (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,116232,00.html?>
Viacom failed in its bid when the dispute resolution sole panelist found that the word 'MTV' used in the domain name is descriptive and generic and the company was unable to prove it has 'clear or unequivocal' exclusive rights over the word.

New Viaduct To Ease Traffic At Telok Blangah (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,116251,00.html?>

Singapore Visitor Arrivals Fall 3.5% In January To March (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,43037,00.html?>
Indonesia remained the largest source of travellers.

Internet Banking Up 23% In Singapore (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,43040,00.html?>
A surveyby ACNielsen.Consult said 52 per cent of the Republic's 750,000 adult Internet users are using online banking services.

E-Mail Offered On Singapore Airlines (Bloomberg)
<http://www.iht.com/articles/55786.html>

---