[MyAppleMenu] Apr 13, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 13 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

What, We Worry? (David Pogue, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/13thissue/pogue.html>
Don't fret about the little things in Mac OS X -- it'll be fine in the end.

=== news =============

>From Venerable Mac To iMac: After 15 Years, We Jumped Into The 21st Century (Stephen H. Dumpy, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/134435832_ptnewmac13.html>
Stephen Dunphy holds his faithful Apple Macintosh SE. In the background is his new pedestal iMac. He and his wife decided it was time to purchase a new computer.

Web Wizardry Keeps Glenwood On Top Of News (Mary T. Robbins, Howard County Times)
<http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=573&NewsID=284499&CategoryID=745&on=0>
The webcast is created with software called iMovie, Real Producer, Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

Bar Harbor Parents Try Out Laptops, Learn Rules For Use At Home (Judy Harrison, Bangor Daily News)
<http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.html?ID=54458&byline=JudyHarrison&cname=Statewide&section=&tt=9PM>
Parents saw firsthand how their children are using laptop computers in the classroom. Later this month, pupils will take their Apple iBooks home for the first time.

Microsoft Pledges Apple Allegiance (Russell Redman, CRN)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=34660>
Head of software giant's Macintosh unit says joint product pact unnecessary.

=== opinions =============

Apple And OpenOffice: A Perfect Match (Alex Alexzander, osOpinion.com)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17249.html>
Apple can and should show the world that the time for Microsoft to rule the office suite market is truly over.

=== reviews =============

OIDS 2.0 (Tony Belding, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=246>
Great gameplay conquers all, and there's no other game that plays quite like OIDS.

DoubleClick: Ads Still Weak (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-881587.html>
Internet marketing company DoubleClick on Thursday reported a first-quarter net loss but surprised Wall Street by showing an operating profit even as revenue fell, reflecting aggressive cost cutting.

InDesign 2.0 (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0205/rev.indesign2.html>
One of the advantages of joining the Adobe matrix is the seamless integration among its sibling programs.

QuarkXPress 5.0 (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0205/rev.quark5.html>
QuarkXPress 5.0 is a formidable program -- but it's also a mixed bag.

Apple's iPod (Matthew Miller, T.H.E. Journal)
<http://www.thejournal.com/magazine/vault/A4010.cfm>
While the iPod is made for Mac fanatics, it will also impress PC lovers.

iMac Vs 800 MHz Tower - Which Machine Gives You More Bang For The Buck, A Performance Report (MacSpeedZone)
<http://macspeedzone.com/html/reviews/machines/desktop/imac/04_02/800_vs_pm_800_10.html>
The iMac turn in close to the same performance as the low-end Tower, and will take up a lot less spaces in your work area.

=== internet top news =============

Google Tests Search Tools For Developers (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-882252.html>
Google is quietly testing a new service that lets Web developers perform automated searches of its vast Internet database and publish the results on their own sites.

=== internet news =============

Mozilla Set For A Splash? (Jim Hu, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-881556.html>
Mozilla is an unlikely candidate for a comeback, given that it is barely sliding out of the box.

=== wintel top news =============

Microsoft To Make Its Case (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-9708875-0.html>
The showdown between nine litigating states and Microsoft moves into its second -- and potentially most tumultuous -- phase Monday, as the plaintiff states close their case and the software giant presents its first witnesses.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft's Flaw-Finding Tool Has Its Own Flaw (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=712&a=25468,00.asp>
Just days after its release, users are reporting a raft of problems with Microsoft's new vulnerability scanning tool.

Gates Is The Star Witness In Microsoft's Turn In Court (Charles Pope, Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/66398_msft13.shtml>
Gates is one of 30 witnesses that Microsoft attorneys said they might call in the effort to persuade a federal judge to reject a more stringent settlement.

Week In Review: Much Ado At Microsoft (CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-882138.html>
Microsoft's to-do list was a mile long this week: lend a hand to Macintosh, give a nod to some DVD standard, and get some repairs done on a few software applications.

Microsoft Pledges Apple Allegiance (Russell Redman, CRN)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=34660>
Head of software giant's Macintosh unit says joint product pact unnecessary.

Wi-Fi "Lite" From Microsoft (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-882156.html?tag=cd_mh>
Microsoft will show off some details of how to lighten the number of tasks routinely given to a Wi-Fi radio, the most expensive of several pieces of Wi-Fi equipment.

Apple And OpenOffice: A Perfect Match (Alex Alexzander, osOpinion.com)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17249.html>
Apple can and should show the world that the time for Microsoft to rule the office suite market is truly over.

=== linux top news =============

Hollywood's New Enemy -- Linux Fans (Lisa M. Bowman, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-882219.html>
Spooked by Hollywood-backed legislation that seeks to regulate technology, Linux geeks plan to launch a political-action committee that fights back.

=== linux news =============

Red Hat Bitten By Linux's Low Cost (Chrstina Drness, Scripps Howard News Service)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/66393_redhat13.shtml>
Red Hat's search for a business model that works in the world of freely available, open-source software has been difficult. Judging by the company's sliding sales and slumping stock price, it's unclear whether Red Hat has found it yet.

Linux Set To Take On Microsoft In India (Bipin Chandran, Business Standard)
<http://www.business-standard.com/today/corp10.asp?Menu=2>
Caldera is making a major splash in the Indian market.

=== reader : world =============

Route To Terror (Richard Leiby, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41202-2002Apr12.html>
On Jerusalem's vulnerable buses, fear rides along.

=== reader : life =============

Horrors! Girls With Gavels! (Anna Quindlen, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/735168.asp>
What a difference a day makes. And if the boys stay home -- well, there's a lesson there, too.

Concern From The Ground Up (Nicolai Ouroussoff, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Art-X!ArticleDetail-56056,00.html>
Guidelines for developing the trade center site play it safe. What's needed? A desire to break rules.

Power In Your Hand (Sophie Pedder, The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=1066262>
The digital era is supposed to revolutionise television. The way people use it will change, but television will remain mainly a vehicle for mass entertainment.

Seeing Greens (Alex Heard, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2064185>
How to watch the Masters like a pro.

On Death's Trail, A Detective Larger Than Life (Seth Mydans, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/13/international/asia/13FPRO.html>
Dr. Pornthip Rojanasunand, perhaps the strangest looking pathologist in the world, is a leading voice for social change in Thailand.

=== singapore top news =============

Singapore To Meet IT Challenge With Review Of Censorship (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,41779,00.html?>
"The state cannot decide for each child which movie to watch, or what cyber games to play, beyond putting in place some general system of classification to guide or restrict access."

Mahathir Insists Objections Are Valid (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,113857,00.html?>
"If Singapore says it is baseless, then it has to show us how it is baseless."

=== singapore news =============

Easing The Long Queues For Ez-Link Cards (Arlina Arshad and Krist Boo, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,114100,00.html?>
TransitLink will recall workers and open more counters to cope with hordes of people buying new card.

Workers' Party Slams Proposal To Raise GST (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,114064,00.html?>
THis will hit the poor hardest and is merely a means to ensure that the government has a steady source of revenue.

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid (Sumiko Tan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,114046,00.html?>
If all else fails, perhaps the best way to get singles to marry and have babies is to drum into them the loneliness of being single and childless.

Home Affairs Working On Booklet On ISA: Wong Kan Seng (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020413/5/singapore5182.html>
The aim is to address a lack of awareness about why a person is detained under the ISA and not produced before a court of law.

Singaporeans Will Never Go Thirsty: Environment Minister (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020413/5/singapore5183.html>
The government will do whatever is necessary to ensure there will always be enough water to meet the needs of domestic consumption and industry.

Ease Of Selling Informatiion Is Unhealthy (Peter Wee Chee Wan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,113900,00.html?>
The ease with which Singapore companies can trade an individual's details for money is surely unhealthy for our reputation as a financial centre.

Wider Use Planned For Ez-Link Smart Card (Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,113865,00.html?>
Users will be able to use the contactless bus and MRT card to pay for carpark and ERP charges and buy things in future.

---