[MyAppleMenu] Sep 24, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 24 21:05:02 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Apple Delays Tennessee Retail Store; Dispute Continues Over Signage (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/lib/010924germantown.shtml>
Apple will likely take up the issue with the mayor's office, which could cause further delays.

A Look At Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.macbu.php>
"What people should know is, I have 160 full time people -- they are Mac fans and they build Mac apps."

Apple Postpones Germantown Store Opening (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.germantown.php>
Readers may remember Germantown as the place that wouldn't allow Apple to place its logo on a sign.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Apple Delays Tennessee Retail Store; Dispute Continues Over Signage (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/lib/010924germantown.shtml>
Apple will likely take up the issue with the mayor's office, which could cause further delays.

A Look At Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.macbu.php>
"What people should know is, I have 160 full time people -- they are Mac fans and they build Mac apps."

Apple Postpones Germantown Store Opening (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.germantown.php>
Readers may remember Germantown as the place that wouldn't allow Apple to place its logo on a sign.

Adobe Announces InDesign 2.0 (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.indesign.php>
The new version of InDesign will sport many features, including native Mac OS X support.

Corel Graphics Suite 10 For Mac Coming Soon (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=9524>

A Look At Macs And The Chinese Market (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.china.php>
When Vincent Tai, Apple's general manager for China operations, retired recently, it attracted a little attention to a Mac market that is often ignored. But it's a market with enormous potential.

Illustrator 10 For X Ships (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=3552>
Illustrator 10 supports Mac OS X natively, meaning designers will enjoy performance boosts and multiprocessing support. It also offers a host of workflow-improving features.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

Does Anyone Actually Keep Up With Apple Anymore? (TRN Online)
<http://www.trnonline.com/stories/09242001/editorial_page_columnists/wilson092401.shtml>
Apple has shot itself in the foot so many times, it's hobbling around on nothing but a couple of stumps.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Mac Better (Wall Street Journal)
<http://web.wichitaeagle.com/content/wichitaeagle/2001/09/24/technology/0924personaltech_txt.htm>
While the computer world was focusing on Microsoft's forthcoming operating system, rival Apple Computer was busy honing its own all-new system, Mac OS X.

Mac Users Aren't Immune To Viruses (Seattle TImes)
<http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=ptmacc23&date=20010923>
The Mac is enjoying the longest stretch in its history without a serious form of attack against its innards, but it's not time to let down our guard.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Win XP Buyers Face Activation Dance (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2814309,00.html>
Buyers of new PCs may have to grapple with Microsofft Product Activation, a controversial new Windows feature.

Win XP To Debut On New PCs (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5097299,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp01>
Will Windows XP encourages consumers to buy new PCs? The first indication will come Monday when PC makers start to sell notebooks and desktops loaded with Microsoft's new opearting system.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Discussion: Gartner Group Suggests Dumping IIS For Now (SlashDot)
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/24/1814256&mode=thread>

A Look At Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/24.macbu.php>
"What people should know is, I have 160 full time people -- they are Mac fans and they build Mac apps."

Win XP Buyers Face Activation Dance (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2814309,00.html>
Buyers of new PCs may have to grapple with Microsofft Product Activation, a controversial new Windows feature.

MS Shows Toppling Towers In ZDNet Advert (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21851.html>

Win XP To Debut On New PCs (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5097299,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp01>
Will Windows XP encourages consumers to buy new PCs? The first indication will come Monday when PC makers start to sell notebooks and desktops loaded with Microsoft's new opearting system.

Tempered Expectations (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
<http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_2.html>
While there are choices, the real choices for consumers are few, and numbers are on the side of XP.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Popular Portals Criticized For Being Too Open To Pornography (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000076130sep23.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp., two of the nation's biggest Internet companies, are facing mounting criticism about the ease with which consumers -- particular children -- can access explicit sexual material on their online networks.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Discussion: Gartner Group Suggests Dumping IIS For Now (SlashDot)
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/24/1814256&mode=thread>

Upside Shuttles Web Site (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7285091.html?tag=lh>
Technology news site UpsideToday said it will cease operations because of "insufficient funds," making it the latest casualty in the rapidly contracting world of New Economy publications.

Internet Will Become 'Unusable' By 2008 (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/21846.html>
Email-borne viruses are an increasing problem.

Trouble At Online Travel Agencies (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/technology/ebusiness/24ECOM.html?ex=1001995200&en=db71318407a50f79&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER>
In light of the grim events of Sept. 11 and their business and economic aftermath, online travel executives are wondering whether their industry can remain the standard-bearer for e-commerce -- or, for that matter, whether most Internet travel companies can even remain in business.

Popular Portals Criticized For Being Too Open To Pornography (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000076130sep23.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp., two of the nation's biggest Internet companies, are facing mounting criticism about the ease with which consumers -- particular children -- can access explicit sexual material on their online networks.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Singapore Needs New Strategy, Says DPM Tan (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,72367,00.html?>
"We need to review our policies - to see what is of value, what we have to continue, and what we have to change."

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Drive Against Terrorism: Singapore Will Have Sensitivites To Manage, Says PM (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,22352,00.html?>
"We will have regional and domestic sensitivites to manage. But we must accept risks for the sake of a better world."

Singapore Needs New Strategy, Says DPM Tan (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,72367,00.html?>
"We need to review our policies - to see what is of value, what we have to continue, and what we have to change."

Government To Step Up New Projects, Create Jobs (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,72360,00.html?>
DPM Lee said that infrastructure projects, such as building of schools and junior colleges, road works and public transportation systems, will be brought forward to rev up Singapore's economic engine.