[MyAppleMenu] Sep 8, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 8 21:05:01 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Neighborhood Nerve Center (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/09/cybercafe/>
"When technology becomes invisible, I can get to the fun part."

Apple Store Opens In Ohio (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/07.ohio.php>
By now, we are all familiar with the fervor surrounding the Apple Store openings.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Stillman Rising, McNealey Says (Tuscaloosa News)
<http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/stories/10419newsstorypage.html>
Stillman will launch its "wireless laptop initiative," which provides every student with an Apple PowerBook or Toshiba 1800 laptop computer.

CorelDRAW 10 Coming To OS X This Month (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/07.corel.php>
"The products will be ready for OS X when we get to Paris."

Creative Cuts To Affect SoundBlaster Dev? (Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=3746>
Heiden urges SoundBlaster owners to keep supporting the Mac team at Creative and to have patience.

Apple Pulls MP Servers From Website (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=9288>

Wireless LAN Just A Flash In The Pan (Silicon.com)
<http://www.silicon.com/public/door?REQUNIQ=999916820&6004REQEVENT=&REQINT1=47222&REQSTR1=newsnow>
"Security is the big hole in wireless technology. Most people ignore its impact and find the solution put in place is much more complex than anticipated, pushing the administration costs up so slowing the technology's uptake."

Neighborhood Nerve Center (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/09/cybercafe/>
"When technology becomes invisible, I can get to the fun part."

Apple Offers New Server (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7089708.html?tag=cdshrt>
Apple Computer on Friday introduced a new version of its Mac OS X-based server.

Apple Store Coming To Tampa On The 14th (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/07.tampa.php>
Attention Floridians: Your first chance to see a local Apple retail store is coming next week.

Apple Store Opens In Ohio (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/07.ohio.php>
By now, we are all familiar with the fervor surrounding the Apple Store openings.

Mac OS X Could Help Boost Macs In China (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/07.osx.php>
Though China won't be bringing Apple huge amounts of cash in the short term because of the proliferation of software piracy, this could change in the days ahead.

IT Minnow Sues Apple (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3469>
Biax attorney Jack Slobodin claims the patents improve the CPU's ability to perform many tasks at the same time - called parallel processing.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

Apple And The Gray Market (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/01/0907.html>

Repositioning The 'Books (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/myturn/01/0907.html>
As amazing as these machines are, I feel a slight tweaking of the line could ensure growth of market share.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft Once Proposed Antitrust Remedies Government Now Wants (Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o1962_BC_Microsoft-Antitrust&&news&newsflash-financial>
"If a remedy has been proposed by Microsoft, they've already figured a way around it."

Microsoft Antitrust Case: An Update On The Company's Lobbying And Campgin Contributions (Opensecrets.org)
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_26.asp>
The decision by the Bush administration to vacate the lawsuit that was first initiated in 1998 by the Clinton Justice Department is considered a major victory for Microsoft, which nearly tripled its campaign contributions and more than doubled its lobbying expenditures during its fight against the antitrust case.

States Warn Of Rift In Microsoft Case (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7093569.html?tag=lh>
Two of the biggest state party to the federal government's antitrust case against Microsoft warned on Friday they might pursue their own sanctions against the software giant if they conclude the U.S. Justice Department is going too easy on the company.

Dell: Be Wary Of HP Merger (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096766,00.html>
Dell Computer will look to capitalize on customer confusion created by the proposed merger of Hewlett-Packard and Compaq Computer, its CEO said.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Microsoft Once Proposed Antitrust Remedies Government Now Wants (Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o1962_BC_Microsoft-Antitrust&&news&newsflash-financial>
"If a remedy has been proposed by Microsoft, they've already figured a way around it."

Microsoft's Web Services Interface (Infoworld)
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,61103,00.asp>
Software giant will evolve the graphical user interface to suit its planned Web services and applications.

So Microsoft Was Right All Along? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2811111,00.html>
Despite their best efforts to prove me wrong, I don't beelive the government team is that dumb.

Microsoft Antitrust Case: An Update On The Company's Lobbying And Campgin Contributions (Opensecrets.org)
<http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/alertv6_26.asp>
The decision by the Bush administration to vacate the lawsuit that was first initiated in 1998 by the Clinton Justice Department is considered a major victory for Microsoft, which nearly tripled its campaign contributions and more than doubled its lobbying expenditures during its fight against the antitrust case.

Code Blue Targets China Firm (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,46624,00.html>
A retooled version of the Code Red worm called Code Blue, discovered in Chinese computer systems Friday, is programmed to launch a denial-of-service attack against well-known Chinese security firm NS Focus.

Microsoft Catches A Break (Gartner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-7091168-0.html?tag=lh>
The pro-business Bush administration is signaling its distaste for the Microsoft antitrust case, as the two sides are getting closer to a settlement on how to penalize Microsoft for abusing its monopoly position.

MS Urged To Delay Licence (To Print Money) Changes (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21551.html>
UK user groups have urged Microsoft to push back its licensing scheme revamp to give UK businesses time to get to grips with the changes.

WinXP: An OS For Linux Lowers (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2810906,00.html>
What we really need is a single brain to guide Linux's development and associations. The problem there is that any attempt to organize Linux under one corporate mantle would probably breed as much hatred for that company as there is for Microsoft.

States Warn Of Rift In Microsoft Case (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7093569.html?tag=lh>
Two of the biggest state party to the federal government's antitrust case against Microsoft warned on Friday they might pursue their own sanctions against the software giant if they conclude the U.S. Justice Department is going too easy on the company.

Dell: Be Wary Of HP Merger (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096766,00.html>
Dell Computer will look to capitalize on customer confusion created by the proposed merger of Hewlett-Packard and Compaq Computer, its CEO said.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Bookworms Curl Up In Front Of PCs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7089409.html?tag=owv>
In a move that points toward the demise of physical libraries, Singapore's National Library Board is allowing any Internet-enabled individual to read a book on loan online.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Sticky Web: Threats On ACLU Site Pose Dilemma (Washington Post)
<http://www.washtech.com/news/media/12400-1.html>

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Bookworms Curl Up In Front Of PCs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7089409.html?tag=owv>
In a move that points toward the demise of physical libraries, Singapore's National Library Board is allowing any Internet-enabled individual to read a book on loan online.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Alfresco Eateries' Permits Renewed (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,69062,00.html?>
Five Holland Village restaurants whose noisy diners prompted complaints get URA nod to operate for another year.