[MyAppleMenu] Oct 25, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 25 21:05:04 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Apple's iPod Is A Great Device Launched Into A Touch Market (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/ptech/ipod102501.htm>
After spending a few hours witht he iPod, I can give you a first impression. Yes, it represents a technology breakthrough.

Forget XP! Why iPod is The Apple Of Our Eyes (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2820068,00.html>
Apple has slowly but surely restored itself to a place where it is becoming a plausible alternative to Microsoft.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

iPod's UK Price Rise (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3712>
The company has added six per cent to the originally announced price.

Windows XP Launch 'Has OS X Feel' (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3711>
Critics claim that many of XP's usability eatures are similar to those of Mac OS X.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

This Apple's Still Cookin' (TheStreet.com)
<http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/markets/faceoffcurtis/10002958.html>
Apple's balance sheet and proven ability to develop quality products lead me to believe that not only will the company be here for a long time to come, but that its shares may be seriously oversold at this point.

Apple's Scraping The Bottom Of The Barrel (TheStreet.com)
<http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/comment/theturnaroundartist/10002957.html>
With less than 5% of the market, the compnay is no longer an afterthought in PCs -- it's irrelevant.

Forget XP! Why iPod is The Apple Of Our Eyes (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2820068,00.html>
Apple has slowly but surely restored itself to a place where it is becoming a plausible alternative to Microsoft.

iPod = iFlop? (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/intelligence/01/10/25/index.html>
My problem is with the pricing which, to most buyers, will seem too much in relation to the practical gain.

Apple Gets Boost From Microsoft (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000084888oct25.column?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Windows XP is always trying to show you that it's smart and cool. I prefer software that lets me discover this on my own.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Apple's iPod Is A Great Device Launched Into A Touch Market (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/ptech/ipod102501.htm>
After spending a few hours witht he iPod, I can give you a first impression. Yes, it represents a technology breakthrough.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Ballmer: Windows Is Finally Stable (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2820236,00.html>
"We're expecting twice as many sales of Windows XP as we sold copies of Windows 95."

Gates Takes Wraps Off Windows XP (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7652708.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft on Thursday officially launched Windows XP, the newest version of its operating system and what could be the company's most important product in more than six years.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Don't Have A Cow: XP Is Here (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,47865,00.html>
Microsoft's Windows XP launch parties in New York could be classified as the ultimate non-event, but the grin on Bill Gates face never wavered.

Ballmer: Windows Is Finally Stable (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2820236,00.html>
"We're expecting twice as many sales of Windows XP as we sold copies of Windows 95."

MSN.com Shuts Out Non-Microsoft Browsers (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7655334.html?tag=lh>
Users trying to access Microsoft's MSN.com with a non-Microsoft browser are finding themselves locked out.

Forget XP! Why iPod is The Apple Of Our Eyes (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2820068,00.html>
Apple has slowly but surely restored itself to a place where it is becoming a plausible alternative to Microsoft.

MS Recruits Army To Sell Win XP Media (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5098775,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp02>
Microsoft's roster of supporters lacks marquee names such as AOL Time Warner and Walt Disney, but nevertheless cuts a wide swath across the computer, Internet and entertainment industries.

Gates Takes Wraps Off Windows XP (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7652708.html?tag=lh>
Microsoft on Thursday officially launched Windows XP, the newest version of its operating system and what could be the company's most important product in more than six years.

Apple Gets Boost From Microsoft (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000084888oct25.column?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Windows XP is always trying to show you that it's smart and cool. I prefer software that lets me discover this on my own.

Leaked MS Email Reveals WinXP, Xbox Launch Spin Plans (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22456.html>

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

MSN.com Shuts Out Non-Microsoft Browsers (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7655334.html?tag=lh>
Users trying to access Microsoft's MSN.com with a non-Microsoft browser are finding themselves locked out.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Singapore Ruling Party Wins Snap Polls Without A Ballot Cast (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/1/1l4rh.html>
Goh Chok Tong declared "we are back in government" after 55 of the 84 seats were snatched by his party with no opposition by the time the deadline passed for candidacies for the November 3 snap polls.

Mistake On Form Costs Singapore Opposition Party (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-68044.html>
A mistake on an election form added insult to injury for Singapore's opposition when a nomination for a key ward was thrown out.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

TV And Radio Air-Time For Candidates (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,79549,00.html?>
Eligibility will depend on the number of candidates fielded by the parties.

Chee And Sister Run In Jurong (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,79553,00.html?>

Freedom Of Speech Takes A Back Seat (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,79567,00.html?>
Freedom of speech and democracy will take a back seat during this election, said some professionals interviewed.

The Young Worry About Only One thing - Economy (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,79570,00.html?>
Younger voters are often seen as being more 'adventurous' with their vote.

PM Goh Says Nov 3 GE Will Be His Last As Prime Minister (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/5/1l50y.html>
Mr Goh made clear he would continue to fight more elections after 2007.

Finance Minister Richard Hu To Retire From Politics (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/5/1l51d.html>

SDA's Chiam Plans Super Constituency If His Party Wins (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/5/1l51b.html>
Chiam See Tong said if his party wins, he is planning a super constituency made up of Jalan Besar GRC and Potong Pasir.

SDP Field Candidates In 2 GRCs And Nee Soon Central (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/5/1l514.html>
The SDP said it chose to field the majority of its candidates in Jurong and Hong Kah GRCs because it has a good feel on the pulse of the voters there.

Workers' Party Nomination Papers Rejected At Aljunied GRC (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/5/1l511.html>
Returning Officer Tan Boon Huat said the nomination papers filed by Workers' Party did not comply with provisions of the Parliamentary Elections Act as the Statutory Declarations were invalid.

SMRT Posts 54 Percent Fall In Net Profit (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-68084.html>
Analysts had expected the drop due to higher operating costs and a fall in investment income.

Singapore Opposition Wages Guerrilla War Against Ruling Party (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/011025/1/1l4td.html>
Singapore's fragmented opposition backed down from a conventional war with the mighty People's Action Party.