[MyAppleMenu] May 2, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 2 21:05:47 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Apple Thinks "Education" With New iBooks (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5789050.html?tag=owv>
>From the design of the new iBook to the timing of its launch, Apple Computer is aiming the laptop to make its home inside schools.

Apple Unwraps Thinner, Cheaper iBooks (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5784834.html?tag=lh>
The new iBook has a 500MHz PowerPC G3 processor, weighs 4.9 pounds--2 pounds lighter than its predecessor--and is considerably thinner at 1.3 inches thick.

Apple Lands Mammoth iBook Deal: 23,000 iBooks Sold To One School District (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/01.12.shtml>
Apple has announced what they say is the single largest education sale ever, and we believe them to be correct.

OS X, Take Three (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/05/01/osx_itunes.html>
The updates add stability to OS X applications, contain the latest version of the Internet file-transfer service, and give users the ability to burn custom music CDs.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Apple Redefines iBook (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/ibook/newibook.html>

Apple Thinks "Education" With New iBooks (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5789050.html?tag=owv>
>From the design of the new iBook to the timing of its launch, Apple Computer is aiming the laptop to make its home inside schools.

Apple Unwraps Thinner, Cheaper iBooks (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5784834.html?tag=lh>
The new iBook has a 500MHz PowerPC G3 processor, weighs 4.9 pounds--2 pounds lighter than its predecessor--and is considerably thinner at 1.3 inches thick.

Apple Retools iBook For School (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,43466,00.html>
The company has abandoned the curved shape of the original iBook, giving the new model the squared sides of its more powerful cousin, the G4 Titanium notebook.

Apple Lands Mammoth iBook Deal: 23,000 iBooks Sold To One School District (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/01.12.shtml>
Apple has announced what they say is the single largest education sale ever, and we believe them to be correct.

OS X, Take Three (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2001/05/01/osx_itunes.html>
The updates add stability to OS X applications, contain the latest version of the Internet file-transfer service, and give users the ability to burn custom music CDs.

Apple Posts iBook QuickTime Video (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/01.ibookqt.shtml>
Best of all, though, it's got plenty of footage of the pretty little iBook in action, which should helpfully give some viewers a much better idea of what the new laptop looks like in real life.

What's New In The iBook? Here's A List For Easy Comparison (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/01.13.shtml>

Apple Unveils New iBooks (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/01.ibook.shtml>
Cute. There, I've said it.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Trying To Take It All In... Apple Events Show Apple (And Steve) Have The Heart Of A Lion (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/HTML/Editorials/html/Archives/heart_lion.shtml>

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

The Disaster-Free Upgrade To Mac OS X (O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/05/01/macosx_upgrade.html>
The point of the letter isn't to convince you to upgrade; it's to show you how to do so without dropping a stitch or sending your computing life into personal hell.

Comparing The New IceBook With The Pismo Powerbook (iBook Zone)
<http://www.ibookzone.com/index.shtml#comparetopismo>
All-in-all, the year-old G3 powerbook is still quite competitive, but the new iBook is an amazing bundle of functionality at a good price.

iTools: Useful Web Services For Macs (Gannett News Service)
<http://technology.cincinnati.com/cgi-bin/technology/techwrapper.pl?URL=http://www.gannettonline.com/e/newproducts/10000995.html&AFFIL=CIN>
Apple Computer's iTools service makes it easy for Macintosh users to get started with fun and useful Web projects.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

What Stock Is Bill Gates Buying These Days? (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2714114,00.html>
Microsoft recently ran a stock-picking contest for charity, inviting people to match wits online with company Chairman Bill Gates. Results from the first round show Gates may be better at building software than investing.

New Media Player Escapes Windows (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5788743.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft is taking legal action against Web sites circulating a rogue version of Windows Media Player 8.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Intel Looks To Boost Attrition (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Intel-Attrition.html>

Connectix Preview Virtual Windows, Linux, Even OS/2 Tech (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18678.html>
An x86 emulator for an x86 platform? According to Connectix, it's all because you want to run multiple operating systems simultaneously without having to reboot from one to another.

Is Microsoft's WMP8 Merely Viral Marketing? (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/18675.html>
What's certain is that in making a standalone Media Player contraband, Microsoft has gained far more publicity for WMP8 than it would have if it had pursued its usual beta download strategy.

What Stock Is Bill Gates Buying These Days? (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2714114,00.html>
Microsoft recently ran a stock-picking contest for charity, inviting people to match wits online with company Chairman Bill Gates. Results from the first round show Gates may be better at building software than investing.

Microsoft To Reward Tattling Vendors (Sm at rt Partner)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2714441,00.html>
Microsoft wants to know if you're using its operating systems, and if you aren't, it's willing to pay your system vendor "valuable" prizes for turning you in.

MS May Have File-Trading Answer (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,43389,00.html>
Microsoft has developed a prototype system that limits unauthorized playback of music by embedding a watermark that remains permanently attached to audio files.

Citigroup, Microsoft Ring Up Net-Pay Pact (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-5781972.html?tag=owv>
As the online-payment industry strives to make money, Citigroup on Tuesday joined forces with Microsoft to extend its Net payment service to a larger audience.

Microsoft Races To Plug Web Security Hole (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5784437.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft announced a serious security hole Tuesday in its flagship Web server software and raced to convince system administrators to patch their Web servers before online vandals compromise their systems.

Microsoft Says Corel Deal Won't Affect Linux (Retuers)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5788436.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said Tuesday that a $135 million investment in competing software developer Corel--the subject of a U.S. antitrust probe--does nothing to crush Corel's fledgling Linux business.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

MS May Have File-Trading Answer (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,43389,00.html>
Microsoft has developed a prototype system that limits unauthorized playback of music by embedding a watermark that remains permanently attached to audio files.

Dot-coms Still Shutting At Quick Pace (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5781211.html?tag=owv>
April saw a resurgence in dot-com shutdowns after a brief respite in March, according to a new report.

CNET Reports Loss Amid Ad Slump (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5788551.html?tag=owv>
Internet news and content site CNET Networks on Tuesday reported a first-quarter loss that exceeded most analysts' already reduced forecasts amid the online advertising slump.

Yahoo Extends Fight Against Porn (Associated Press)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5790171.html?tag=owv>
During the past few weeks, Yahoo quietly has reconfigured its adult-themed online clubs, message boards and chat rooms, removing links to them and making them harder to find, members say. Many users believe the clubs will fail to attract new members and ultimately disappear altogether.

Vignette Trims Staff (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-5787784.html?tag=owv>
Software maker Vignette on Monday cut about 10 percent of its work force to cut costs, bringing its year-to-date layoffs to more than 500 people.

iTools: Useful Web Services For Macs (Gannett News Service)
<http://technology.cincinnati.com/cgi-bin/technology/techwrapper.pl?URL=http://www.gannettonline.com/e/newproducts/10000995.html&AFFIL=CIN>
Apple Computer's iTools service makes it easy for Macintosh users to get started with fun and useful Web projects.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Linux Marriage Gone Awry (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5082133,00.html>
After three months of operating as a single company, Turbolinux and Linuxcare have called off their merger because of difficulties joining the companies' finances and operations.

VA Linux Serves Up Improved Slim Server (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5788807.html?tag=owv>
VA Linux Systems has begun selling a new two-processor, 1.75-inch-thick server that includes management software to enable administrators to control the servers from afar.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Linux Marriage Gone Awry (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5082133,00.html>
After three months of operating as a single company, Turbolinux and Linuxcare have called off their merger because of difficulties joining the companies' finances and operations.

SGI Promotes CFO, Boosts Linux Effort (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5787492.html?tag=owv>
The Mountain View, Calif., company released version 1.0 of a high-end file system for Linux, the clone of Unix that SGI has banked on heavily for its future workstation and server products.

Microsoft Says Corel Deal Won't Affect Linux (Retuers)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5788436.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said Tuesday that a $135 million investment in competing software developer Corel--the subject of a U.S. antitrust probe--does nothing to crush Corel's fledgling Linux business.

VA Linux Serves Up Improved Slim Server (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5788807.html?tag=owv>
VA Linux Systems has begun selling a new two-processor, 1.75-inch-thick server that includes management software to enable administrators to control the servers from afar.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

CASE Conducts Surprise Checks On Supermarkets (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010502/5/o8zg.html>
The checks uncovered isolated cases of shortcomings, including inadequate labelling, insufficient stocking, unhygenic practices and improper bar-coding.