[MyAppleMenu] Mar 28, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 28 21:05:05 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

The Norm: A Comic Strip Of eNormous Success (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/smallbusiness/stories/thenorm/index.html>
"I never could have put the whole presentation together without my Mac. What I needed was a computer that helped me work, not one that I helped to work."

Mac OS X Offers Impressive Internet Features (Internet World)
<http://www.internetworld.com/news/archive/03272001c.jsp>
Considered on its own, though, OS X delivers Internet features that are solid overall and in many cases a welcome break from the clumsy Internet features of some operating systems and applications.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

The Norm: A Comic Strip Of eNormous Success (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/smallbusiness/stories/thenorm/index.html>
"I never could have put the whole presentation together without my Mac. What I needed was a computer that helped me work, not one that I helped to work."

Apple Re-Enters Desktop Battle (Federal Computer Week)
<http://fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0319/tec-apple-03-19-01.asp>
Revamped operating system, powerful processors may sway more federal users.

Apple Says OS X Sales Strong In UK (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2001/12/ns-21864.html>
With hopes pinned on the Unix-based operating system to boost its financial health, Apple is looking rosy after a sell-out first weekend.

Your Mac OS X Questions Answered (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/itc/010327.html>

Mac OS X Offers Impressive Internet Features (Internet World)
<http://www.internetworld.com/news/archive/03272001c.jsp>
Considered on its own, though, OS X delivers Internet features that are solid overall and in many cases a welcome break from the clumsy Internet features of some operating systems and applications.

Microsoft: FireWire In, USB Out? (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=4777>
Clearly, Readmond reckons Steve Jobs is onto something here is out to embrace and extend his strategy.

AppleWorks 6.1 Offers Office Compatibility (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=4794>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

OS X Bashing And Glory (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=856>

Low End Mac Users Are Nuts (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/uk/010327.html>

OS X To Be A Huge Success (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/myturn/010327.html>
Mark my words, in the coming year it will be totally uncool to even point your finger at a Wintel or Linux box.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Not Everything Peachy In Apple Land: OS X Alienates One Mac Faithful (Daily Mac)
<http://www.dailymac.com/content/osx_features/notpeachy.html>
Fourteen years with Macs, and Apple II before that, and now Apple puts a fancified Windows 3.1 interface on top of UNIX and calls it the best of both worlds.

Mac OS X Sucks (GraphicPower.com)
<http://graphicpower.com/opinion/2001/Mar/mosxsucks.stm>
Don't even think about implementing Mac OS X in a production environment.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

A Virus That Leaps Platforms (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,42672,00.html>
A security company has identified what is believed to be the first virus with cross-platform abilities -- it can infect both Windows and Linux operating systems.

New Windows Demands PC Power (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5264345.html?tag=cd_pr>
PC enthusiasts looking to grab an early copy of Windows XP may be in for a big surprise: Many will need more computing horsepower to run the operating system.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

A Virus That Leaps Platforms (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,42672,00.html>
A security company has identified what is believed to be the first virus with cross-platform abilities -- it can infect both Windows and Linux operating systems.

New Windows Demands PC Power (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5264345.html?tag=cd_pr>
PC enthusiasts looking to grab an early copy of Windows XP may be in for a big surprise: Many will need more computing horsepower to run the operating system.

WinXP Blade: MS' Plan To Kill Off Linux Web Servers (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/17927.html>
It's what they're designed to kill that's most interesting though - it's Linux.

Ultimate TV Guns For Your Eyes (ZDNet)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/550589.asp?cp1=1>
With the recent unveiling of UltimateTV, Microsoft is hoping to spark demand for digital programming while quietly moving its earlier, more limited experiment in interactive television off the prime-time lineup.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Mac OS X Offers Impressive Internet Features (Internet World)
<http://www.internetworld.com/news/archive/03272001c.jsp>
Considered on its own, though, OS X delivers Internet features that are solid overall and in many cases a welcome break from the clumsy Internet features of some operating systems and applications.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

RIAA: Napster's Not Playing Fair (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,42677,00.html>
The recording industry claims Napster execs are intentionally sabotaging their filter system. This just one week after Napster accused the recording industry of the same thing. In other words, it's business as usual.

MTV Brings Web Efforts Up-To-Date (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5301036.html?tag=owv>
MTV Networks is tying its Web site and two TV channels together in an attempt to attract music fans with greater access to tunes and programs.

Layoff Train Losing Steam (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-5262858.html?tag=owv>
Job cuts at Internet companies fell in March for a second consecutive month as the layoffs receded from January's high, according to a survey by Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

A Virus That Leaps Platforms (Wired News)
<http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,42672,00.html>
A security company has identified what is believed to be the first virus with cross-platform abilities -- it can infect both Windows and Linux operating systems.

WinXP Blade: MS' Plan To Kill Off Linux Web Servers (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/17927.html>
It's what they're designed to kill that's most interesting though - it's Linux.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Police Warning For Speakers' Corner Event Organisers (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,32887,00.html?>
Two civil-society activists who organised an event at Speakers' Corner without obtaining a police permit may be prosecuted if they commit the same offence again.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Reconsider Ban On Rally, Singapore Rights Activists Ask Police (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010328/1/leuc.html>
Rally organising committee chairman James Gomez has written to Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng disputing the reasons given by the police for denying a permit to the "Save JBJ rally" planned for March 31.

Singapore Government Studying Mahathir's Offer (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010328/5/lf2j.html>
Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong has said it will take some time for the Singapore government to give a "considered response" to the letter by Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Singapore's proposals to resolve the package of outstanding bilateral issues.

Vote Recount Rule Means No Recount? (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,15301,00.html?>

'Tiny Red Dot' Will Get Tinier, Says PM Goh (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,32761,00.html?>
Noting Singapore's physical limits, Mr Goh says its future economic growth cannot be taken for grante.

Singaporeans Like It Cheap And Good (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,32759,00.html?>
Survey shows shoppers here look for products that are reliable, cost less and are environmentally-friendly.

Police Warning For Speakers' Corner Event Organisers (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,32887,00.html?>
Two civil-society activists who organised an event at Speakers' Corner without obtaining a police permit may be prosecuted if they commit the same offence again.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Computer Glitches Are Here To Stay (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,15295,00.html?>
Technological change and lack of good IT staff to blame for recent spate.