[MyAppleMenu] Mar 7, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 7 21:05:03 EST 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Apple Launches The Best TV Commercial Since 1984, Seriously (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/03/07.5.shtml>
You may be asking why this is such a great commercial. Let us count the ways.

Sell Your iMac-Edited Movies To HBO? (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/03/imacdirector/>
Brad Schaffer, a 14-year-old from the small town of Benton City, WA, just sold his first movie—to HBO. This one-person film company makes all of his movies on iMacs.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Mac Users Sing Opera's Praises (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2693152,00.html>
Can the Mac support another Web browser, especially one that isn't free? That's the question the Oslo, Norway-based Opera Software AS is testing with the "Technology Preview 1" release of its Opera 5.0 browser.

Heady Growth Over, PC Makers Poised To Consolidate (Reuters)
<http://www.mediacentral.com/channels//allnews/03_06_2001.reutr-story-N02312727.html>
"Apple has got that sort of a unique nichy workstation-type aura to it. They would be a good complement to Sun as a Sun segment. Depends how cheap they are."

Famous Musicians Pitch iTunes In New TV Spot (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0103/07.applead.shtml>
"It's your music. Burn it on the Mac. Dig?"

Children Of MacPaint (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/010307mm.html>

Sell Your iMac-Edited Movies To HBO? (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/03/imacdirector/>
Brad Schaffer, a 14-year-old from the small town of Benton City, WA, just sold his first movie—to HBO. This one-person film company makes all of his movies on iMacs.

Apple's New Prime Time TV Ad Highlights Burning Custom Music CDs On Macs (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/mar/06ads.html>

New Apple Ad Airs Tonight (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=4070>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Apple: The Green Computer? (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/scope/010307.html>
One aspect of a computer that has so far been completely ignored by all computer makers is environmental impact. Apple could easily take a lead here.

Apple Launches The Best TV Commercial Since 1984, Seriously (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/03/07.5.shtml>
You may be asking why this is such a great commercial. Let us count the ways.

My Fear Of OS X (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=825>

The Inevitable War: Apple Vs. Microsoft, Part II (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7972.html>
So what is there for Apple to gain from porting OS X to Intel? The potential market is enormous, and a meager 5 percent penetration rate would amount to a windfall of profits.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Business Mac-Hine (Computer Times Singapore)
<http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/reviews/review4.htm>
SPSS is a powerful tool for data analysts and the Mac version, which mirrors its Windows counterpart feature for feature, has won a Macworld Magazine Eddy award in the Best Data Management Software category.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Heady Growth Over, PC Makers Poised To Consolidate (Reuters)
<http://www.mediacentral.com/channels//allnews/03_06_2001.reutr-story-N02312727.html>
"Apple has got that sort of a unique nichy workstation-type aura to it. They would be a good complement to Sun as a Sun segment. Depends how cheap they are."

Ballmer Hints At Moves To Palm OS, Linux (Windows 2000 Magazine)
<http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16437>
Calling the Linux movement a "phenomenon," Ballmer admitted that his company was continuously evaluating Linux and would probably port .NET services to Linux, although "there are hurdles to putting Microsoft software on Linux." These hurdles include a "messy and confused" intellectual-property environment, according to the Microsoft CEO.

IBM, Dell Offer New Pentium 4 PCs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5043378.html?tag=cdshrt>

Luna UI Heading For Microsoft's Stinger (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/17383.html>
Stinger appears to be theme-aware. One screengrab shows the WinCE look and feel, while another looks an awful lot like the Luna UI for Windows XP, with miniature versions of the new alpha blended icons.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Mac Users Sing Opera's Praises (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2693152,00.html>
Can the Mac support another Web browser, especially one that isn't free? That's the question the Oslo, Norway-based Opera Software AS is testing with the "Technology Preview 1" release of its Opera 5.0 browser.

The Wired House (Christian Science Monitor)
<http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2001/03/07/text/p11s1.html>
One family, many computers. Here's how to get them all working together.

Big Duh (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/sex/world/2001/03/06/executives/index.html?CP=RDF&#38;DN=310>
According to a survey, American executives like financial, shopping and sex Web sites best.

Study: Stufers Just Say No To Paid Content (Media Life)
<http://www.medialifemagazine.com/news2001/mar01/mar05/2_tues/news5tuesday.html>
The issue isn't that consumers feel everything online ought to be free, as it is often framed. It's that they feel they're already paying, which in fact they are.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Mac Users Sing Opera's Praises (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2693152,00.html>
Can the Mac support another Web browser, especially one that isn't free? That's the question the Oslo, Norway-based Opera Software AS is testing with the "Technology Preview 1" release of its Opera 5.0 browser.

The Wired House (Christian Science Monitor)
<http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2001/03/07/text/p11s1.html>
One family, many computers. Here's how to get them all working together.

Big Duh (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/sex/world/2001/03/06/executives/index.html?CP=RDF&#38;DN=310>
According to a survey, American executives like financial, shopping and sex Web sites best.

Napster Alternative Aimster thrives (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Aimster.html>
One Napster alternative that's attracting thousands of downloads a day is taking a wholly different approach to file-swapping -- and looks to be circling the wagons against potential legal threats.

Let's Get Rid Of Electronic Mail, Once And For All (O'Reilly)
<http://www.oreilly.com/news/eliminate_email_0100.html>
Email protocols are older than gopher or archie. They're ill-suited for multimedia communication, a burden on the network when used to broadcast information, and a mess to manage. But most of us use email more than all other online services put together. Can't the computer field do better by now?

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Ballmer Hints At Moves To Palm OS, Linux (Windows 2000 Magazine)
<http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16437>
Calling the Linux movement a "phenomenon," Ballmer admitted that his company was continuously evaluating Linux and would probably port .NET services to Linux, although "there are hurdles to putting Microsoft software on Linux." These hurdles include a "messy and confused" intellectual-property environment, according to the Microsoft CEO.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Getting Linux Onto The Corporate Network (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7971.html>
When a problem crops up and no solution is offered, one tactic -- though dangerous if your boss doesn't like unauthorized servers -- is to go ahead and use Linux to solve it.

Ballmer Hints At Moves To Palm OS, Linux (Windows 2000 Magazine)
<http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16437>
Calling the Linux movement a "phenomenon," Ballmer admitted that his company was continuously evaluating Linux and would probably port .NET services to Linux, although "there are hurdles to putting Microsoft software on Linux." These hurdles include a "messy and confused" intellectual-property environment, according to the Microsoft CEO.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

No-Go Play Is Now Okay (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,14384,00.html?>
t's seven years late, but playwright Russell Heng is glad that his play, Half Century, will finally be staged. Our reporter speaks to the playwright about the big 'C' word: Controversy.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Broadband To Cost More On April 1 (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/1,1381,14386,00.html?>

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============